Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm thinking about selling my coins

124»

Comments

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep waiting for the Mods to pull this and put it over on the BST forum. Plus, if you do it again, Carol may ban you! image

Seriously, the mere fact that you are considering trading one tangible asset for another tells me that maybe you are ready to part with the set. Having grown up on the beach in Santa Barbara brings fond memories to mind. What better place to spend retirement years.

I would also assume that you could sell the set immediately with one or two phone calls.

Always a pleasure to hear your thoughts and insights.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I threw in that Lear jet as a joke. It goes against everything I preach!

Now for airplanenut and those who can pilot their own planes that is something else entirely.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Assuming these aren't coins that represent money you may need soon, and that this doesn't represent a windfall for the IRS, it's beach house baby!!! You can get over that weird feeling while you're enjoying an adult beverage while listening to the surf.image
  • Options
    It is an odd time to buy real estate, though it sounds as though you are doing it recreationally rather than as an investment. I do worry about California's succeptability for earthquakes. But, that's why we have insurance policies. I trust that you still have a lot ofother great coins to keep you company. If you do sell the set, please pedigree the coins, and I'll keep an eye out for them. Most will probably be out of my league, but as you have been fond of pointing out, there are some amazing bargains to be had in the series, and given your penchant for quality, it would be worth cracking open the piggy bank for any of them.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain. I have had this same dilemma on whether to sell the collection or not.

You see, there is this pop-up camper that the wife and I have had our eyes on for some time now.image

Best of luck with your decision.

Mike
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sold complete sets in the past (early 20th-century coins). I did so after I realized that I was 'done' with them---they had been in a safety deposit box for years, and I hadn't given them much thought. At the time I made the decision to sell, I hadn't looked at them for ca. 5 years. So, there was no emotional attachment anymore. But.....I used the money to buy more coins (early coppers).
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure someone already posted this, but should this thread be in the buy, sell, trade forum? >>

No, it's just "soft spam" image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm sure someone already posted this, but should this thread be in the buy, sell, trade forum? >>

No, it's just "soft spam" image >>

LOL
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep this one and sell the rest.

• Options
    JoflaxJoflax Posts: 979
    Sell the coins , by some income producing property and use the income to buy a beach house.JMHO
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>I would keep the coins and rent a beach house when you feel the need to feel the sand between your feet. Why complicate your life by buying an additional dwelling in a land where earthquakes, storms and tsunamis rule? >>

This is a kind of silly logic, I would rather be washed away living (which most likely won't happen) then safe locked away in house in the middle of the country. It comes down to perspective, being afraid to get out and live is worse to me than having something bad happen while doing what you love. It would be like never driving even though you love cars because you heard about someone getting into an accident.

Why would someone want to die peacefully, if its the last thing you ever do it might as well make it something to remember?
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    didn't read the whole thread - but you own some 20 million in C.U stock ; sell half and buy your dream house
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I aplologize if it's already been mentioned, but doesn't this belong on the BST? image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not going to read all the threads but do explore a 1099 exhange with your CPA.
    Perhaps one investment for another with no tax consequences would be prudent.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Homer, I think you and Marge could enjoy a very tidy 45' houseboat on Lake Tahoe for a hellalot less than a California beach house. And you could keep your shinny(sic) baubles.imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file