Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA East Coast office?!

One of Joe's first tweets appears to be a big one:
====
JoeOrlandoPSA In response to hobby demand, PSA will be opening an east coast office this year. Updates and details will be provided in the coming weeks.
====

Assuming quality of grading is not impacted, this would be nice for us East Coasters, to cut down on delivery times....

Comments

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I got some extra room in my basement if they want to help out with the rent
  • Options
    I'm looking for a job. Think they'll hire me?
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭
    Cleveland.....Cleveland....Cleveland....
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    New York! (Preferably Long Island)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    can't wait for the first mid-winter echoes of wailing from those whose orders can't be shipped out due to blizzards. image
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I heard they were looking at St. James. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's great news. image
  • Options
    Pick Philadelphia Joe!!!

• Options
    White Plains, NY!
  • Options

<< <i>I heard they were looking at St. James. image >>

SHHHH ... nobody was supposed to know that just yet!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Will they be equipped with machines that grade/seal rackpacks?
  • Options
    Did I say St. James? image I meant St. Albans, yeah, St. Albans.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Will they be equipped with machines that grade/seal rackpacks? >>

Muggyman, baby steps...baby steps. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    Should set up next to my house in arizona
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    I can see it now, submitters trying to figure out which office is more lenient with the grades, and then sending there packages 3000 miles in the other direction hoping for better #'s.

Cali rejected 50% of my order for EOT, Eastie only caught 12% of them. Heading East with the rest of the batch. image
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I think Atlanta would be the best place. If the salary was right, I might be persuaded to take my talents there.
  • Options
    I'll volunteer, free, no salary or pay, to come in and grade the '52 Mantles.

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    The labor and costs of doing Business in Lincoln Nebraska is very cheap and friendly, plus we are centrally located so mail time is never more than 2-3 days away no matter where you live in the Continental USA.
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    CHARLOTTE, Joe! Year Round good weather.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Pick Philadelphia Joe!!!

We don't want all our subs getting stolen now, do we?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>[Pick Philadelphia Joe!!!
    We don't want all our subs getting stolen now, do we? >>

HAHAHAHAHA ... GREAT response!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohio would be a good location to set up shop. New Governor seems to be business friendly. Large number of qualified people looking for gainful employment. To be successful you need the proper equipment, the right people, and a pro business environment in a location advantageous for your needs. All that is right here in Ohio. I do believe you could negotiate a fair tax liability at this time. Many businesses are fleeing other states such as New York because of their pro tax, anti business policies. Smart businesses are setting up in Ohio, the heart of it all. I remember Governor James A. Rhodes said "Profit is not a dirty word in Ohio." We are returning to that philosophy.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pick Philadelphia Joe!!!

image >>

Why would they go to the Armpit of the East?
  • Options
    It will be warm... My guess is somewhere in Florida, so they can lose packages in a hurricane.

Seriously, I think it will be in the Tri-State area (NY/NJ/PA).. Did you know about 10% of the US population lives in this area?
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>CHARLOTTE >>

Charlotte would be nice.....would definitely help me save on postage!
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    I'll be glad to help with the networking between offices!

Logan
    CCIE #6699
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cleveland.....Cleveland....Cleveland.... >>

+1......+1......+1......
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Not on the coast, but TN would be a good location.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Third vote for CHARLOTTE!
  • Options
    cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    How about on the East Coast of Wisconsin? Maybe Milwaukee or Green Bay.

Like Ohio, our Governor is making many changes to be more "pro business".

We have a huge collector base here. Chicago is not far at all.

We get tons of snow and it is cold for half the year, nice contrast to the California office.

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • Options

<< <i>We get tons of snow and it is cold for half the year, nice contrast to the California office. >>

I'm sure that's exactly what they're looking for! image
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    why not go international mr. orlando. how about toronto?

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!

NYC for the win!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I told them they can use my garage.

I won't charge much.

Mike
  • Options
    Think of how easy it will be to set up at the County Center if the PSA office is already in White Plains.

Can you say ON-SITE ENCAPSULATION?!
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    i vote for michigan
  • Options
    Parsippany NJ please...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Parsippany NJ please... >>

Nice - but isn't one major grader per town enough?!?
  • Options
    Nice - but isn't one major grader per town enough?!?
    ==> doesn't McDonalds like to set up next to Burger King...
    ( other examples exist, but I just started a no carb diet - so I am thinking about food )
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options

<< <i>The labor and costs of doing Business in Lincoln Nebraska is very cheap and friendly, plus we are centrally located so mail time is never more than 2-3 days away no matter where you live in the Continental USA. >>

Couldn't agree more with golf collector. Maybe that would persuade me to come back to Nebraska (the Good Life).
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I can already see an east coast bias developing... just like everything in sports!
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Clearly the most cost-effective thing is to just set up in Sharon, MA.

</ conspiracyTheory>
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I live like 15 minutes from the Newport Offices, so I don't really care....but I say Mr. Orlando puts the new office in ORLANDO!!!! image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Clearly the most cost-effective thing is to just set up in Sharon, MA.

</ conspiracyTheory> >>

lol
  • Options
    Baltimore Maryland
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can already see an east coast bias developing... just like everything in sports! >>

Then what you do is send your Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox cards to the new location, and all the NL and AL West cards to Newport Beach!
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i vote for michigan >>

2x
  • Options
    Have to go with Baltimore, great National show and 20 minutes from home, sounds like reason enough for me.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Clearly the most cost-effective thing is to just set up in Sharon, MA.

</ conspiracyTheory> >>

lol >>

Thanks; I was beginning to think no one would catch the joke. image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Not to derail this thread with logic and reason... but I for one, find this announcement concerning to say the least.

I, like most (if not all) of you, are stakeholders in PSA, and CU as the bigger picture. Heck, I'm sure a number of you are also shareholders. Personally, I am not, and with such an announcement, I am even less likely to actually invest in the corporation.

Now, don't get me wrong... as a business, I absolutley love their product and their service. It's more the business decisions that I don't agree with, and thus, CLCT does not interest me from an investor standpoint.

As if the salary requirements, cost of living, operating expenses, etc. aren't high enough in California already... now an East Coast Office. Okay, I get it, it's the cool thing to do, it sounds big time. But as a stakeholder, and a potential shareholder, I don't want "big time", I want organizational stability, sound working capital management, continued growth, and sustainable products/services.

Why don't they, instead of keeping a high operating cost location in California and opening another (likely) high operating cost location on the East Coast... relocate their California operation to a single location in a more totally-efficient-operations location somewhere in the midwest or central region of the country. Someone tossed out Lincoln, Nebraska... why not? What about Cedar Rapids, IA... Kansas City, MO... Memphis/Nashville, TN, somewhere in Northern Texas?

To me, this just stinks of higher operating expenses... which will, in time, lead to higher service costs... and higher consumer costs...

I don't know, maybe it's just me looking at this from a business perspective... and not as the collector that swears by PSA, which I am... but this isn't good news. If anything, it appears to be more cause for concern regarding the future of the company, industry, etc.