Home Precious Metals

$34/coin for $200 slicked up Peace Dollars????? You have to read this...it's all true.

We went out of town for the weekend and as my luck would have it there was a coin show literally 3 miles from here we were staying. (My wife thinks I planned it that way but I honestly had no idea LOL).
So I got away for a little bit and went to it. There was only 1 guy in a room of about 35 dealers that was selling any 90%...and I think he knew it too. He had roughly 200 bad, I mean bad slicked up, no rims, barely read the date Peace Dollars right out in front of his table.
So me being me, I asked him "how much for all of them?" He said "$34 coin!"
I, along with 2 other guys standing at the table at the time, stood there dumbfounded.
I said, "no discount for buying all of them?"
He said, "then I'd have to replace them at todays cost."
So I said, "so that means you're into them cheaper than what they're currently worth...I'd like to buy them all" (again letting him know I would like a discount for buying all of them.)
He said, "$34 a coin no matter how many you buy."
I said "there's a guy across that room that has some common date ones that are at least XF that he has marked $40 (wasn't selling as junk 90%)...I bet I can get him down to $35, but I'd rather buy from you and take all of these."
Me and the other 2 guys (that I did not know at all) looked at each other again in amazement at what this dealer was trying to pull. After about a 15 second pause, one of these guys says, "these are culls if there ever was a cull, and that guy over there has some XF's for $40? I'll see you guys."
I again asked the dealer looking at him dead in the eye, "c'mon man, these are some bad coins...but I want them. You can't do any better than that? I'll go $31/coin." (there was no way in hell that I was going to pay $31/coin for cull Peace Dollars, but I felt I had to call his bluff. Heck, I was out of town and will never see this guy again, so why not.)
He paused, and replied "gotta have $34."
The other guy that was still there getting a kick out of this back & forth chuckles in the best Santa Claus laugh I've ever heard and says to the dealer, " buddy I think you just don't want to sell the coins and want to show to the room that you have them when no one else has any."
I said, "huh, you noticed that too...that there isn't any others selling 90% in the room?"
The dealer then says..."uh (burp) the best I will do is $33.50/coin."
I wouldn't even acknowledge him, the Santa Claus guy and I just walked away. As we're walking away, the Santa Claus guy practically shouts, "THAT guy (pointing at the dealer) is a greedy and DUMB sob!"
I LMAO still walking away.
On my way out and as he took (another) bite of his hotdog I made sure to say to the dealer that I wish him the best of luck selling his cull Dollars in a sarcastic voice. He then proceeded to spill his Pepsi all over his display case. I then said, "can i get you some fries with that?"

I know being that some of you are B&M's and/or dealers and will probably hate me (possibly even more now) for telling this, but I just had to share this story. Bottom line is that the guy was exactly what Santa Claus said he was and people like that just don't have a clue I guess. Maybe it was his first time setting up at a show and just didn't know how to negotiate, but I doubt it based on the other stuff he had.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure they weren't silver eagles? image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    You sure they weren't silver eagles?

lol...it truly was an enlightning negotiation as to just how greedy someone can possibly be...or maybe he was just naive? image ...or maybe I'm naive, as to how greedy some people are image
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    How dare that dealer ask what he wants for his product.
    The nerve of some people.

BTW... you must be a real pleasure to do business with. LOL
    I'm just sayin'
  • ..and it was just last spring a dealer at a local show was selling XF/AU common-date Peace dollars for $17 each! These were nice coins and some were sliders!

How many did I buy? 5 for $85 because he wouldn't come down to $16 each! image
    How dare that dealer ask what he wants for his product

You really can't be serious...$34 for cull Peace Dollars, and you're defending that?

You must be a real pleasure to do business with. LOL
    I'm just sayin'
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How dare that dealer ask what he wants for his product

You really can't be serious...$34 for cull Peace Dollars, and you're defending that?

You must be a real pleasure to do business with. LOL
    I'm just sayin' >>

Pieces of Me,

You and I definitely have the overall same train of thought, but I do have to disagree with you on this one. I do agree with Sean. The dealer can ask what he wants. I'm not defending $34 per coin, but I am defending his right to ask $34 per coin. I don't believe he will sell any of them, and if he keeps these types of sales tactics, he will probably soon find out that he doesn't sell much because of his high prices, but he still has the right to ask what he wants. I scour ebay for 90% coins, and 99% of the auctions are overpriced. But, the sellers still have a right to post their wares, I just won't be buying from them.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • So if I read this right, a coin dealer at a coin show has a coin(s) you want for a price you don't want to pay, you try to get him to lower the price due to the volume you were intending to purchase, and he wouldn't sell?

Regardless of what condition the coins were in, or the reason for not discounting the price, they're his property and I don't think him not budging makes him a 'greedy and DUMB sob'.
    Someone who doesn't like negotiating, yes.

With silver going back and forth and inching higher I can understand him not wanting to sell at a discount, even for a volume sale. $34 a coin will make him more money than selling to you in volume.

Being at a coin show, and being the only dealer with 90%, why not wait for a fish that will pay $34 a coin?

This is still a capitalist system to most.

Personally I'd rather buy from someone willing to 'work' with me on a price, but I wouldn't not buy from someone for this.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my read is, 10 rolls of really worn silver dollars is pretty neat. think of the history each of those coins could tell. he had it, you wanted it, he knew it.

I think you kind of wish you could have taken them home image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apmex wants 32.00 a coin for cull peace in 100 volume
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apmex wants 32.00 a coin for cull peace in 100 volume >>

What is their buy price for culls?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    If APMEX is selling them at $32 then he was basically asking 6% more than APMEX. Big deal. He doesn't need to sell them to you at your asking price (or any other price). Do you act similarly when bread or milk costs 6% more at one supermarket versus another? Ridiculous. Your actions say a lot more about you and your buddy than about the dealer.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>So if I read this right, a coin dealer at a coin show has a coin(s) you want for a price you don't want to pay, you try to get him to lower the price due to the volume you were intending to purchase, and he wouldn't sell?

Regardless of what condition the coins were in, or the reason for not discounting the price, they're his property and I don't think him not budging makes him a 'greedy and DUMB sob'.
    Someone who doesn't like negotiating, yes.

With silver going back and forth and inching higher I can understand him not wanting to sell at a discount, even for a volume sale. $34 a coin will make him more money than selling to you in volume.

Being at a coin show, and being the only dealer with 90%, why not wait for a fish that will pay $34 a coin?

This is still a capitalist system to most.

Personally I'd rather buy from someone willing to 'work' with me on a price, but I wouldn't not buy from someone for this. >>

I have to agree with the Captain. If only one dealer at a show has a hot moving item, and 90% silver is hot, hot, hot, he/she can ask whatever they want. $34 is high, but I'm sure the dealer sold some if no one else had any. As other stories have pointed out, a lot of new people are walking in looking to buy, and most will pay up, if the alternative is to go home with nothing.

As an aside, a stock newsletter writer recently told his subscribers to go out and buy at least $100 in 90% silver immediately, ASAP. This is a stock guy that does mostly tech stocks, not a gold newsletter guy so quite unusual. If one of the newsletter subscribers walked in to that show, that's almost certainly $100 worth sold at $34 per, because no one else has any, and the newbie doesn't know a good price from a bent cull lodged in the wall.
    For ANY of those interested...I have access to a boatload of cull Morgan/Peace Dollars. No, they are not the 200 the dealer was trying to sell me for $34, what would be the gain in that?
    If ANYONE wants some beat up, I mean really bad cull Peace Dollars, very similar to what was displayed in the dealers showcase, I will sell them to you all day & night long for $34/coin delivered with a minimum 200 coin purchase. This is NOT spam, but if you are really willing to pay that much for 200 min. crappy Peace Dollars, pm me. image

Some obviously did not read my initial post in whole and what they did read, they only read what they wanted to. But that's fine and about what I expected. So lets see now how many people bash me for what they are defending. Which is greed and outright deception.
    Someone even said, why not wait for a fish that will pay $34 a coin? . That is deception at it's pinnacle and anyone who condones THAT has told me alot about themsleves as I apparently have done about myself. Which is that I have common sense to not pay a dime for an obviously overpriced item and I would not deceive someone like that.

As far as I'm concerned, this is end of storytime with Uncle Rich because it's pretty obvious to me people want to say the right thing here, but do they do the right thing by not deceiving folks.
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can buy them from APMEX at 32.00 so 34.00 here is not to smart.
    But the point is You can sell you coins for any price you want just like that dealer is.
    No one is forcing you to buy, and not everybody wants to make a deal.
    He was not really ripping anyone off, he was just a tad high in his price and stubborn in his willing to deal.

Basicly it's no harm no foul you offered he declined.

BTW in House I'm selling XF_AU_BU Peace at 31.00 so to each his own. No I don't deliver at that price ..image
  • For whatever it's worth the peace dollars i had on the bay finished over $34 s/h inc and they are no beauty's , i waited to see before comment.I had multiples so it wasn't a fluke.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For ANY of those interested...I have access to a boatload of cull Morgan/Peace Dollars. No, they are not the 200 the dealer was trying to sell me for $34, what would be the gain in that?
    If ANYONE wants some beat up, I mean really bad cull Peace Dollars, very similar to what was displayed in the dealers showcase, I will sell them to you all day & night long for $34/coin delivered with a minimum 200 coin purchase.

Sorry, but I'm already buying some from Teed135.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    lol...you're actually buying something on this Forum rr??? About time!
  • How the hell is waiting for a buyer who is willing to pay your asking price deception?

I think someone should calm down and go over a dictionary.
  • Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I had the same question CaptMorgan. I see no problem with what the guy did. Overpriced coins at a coin show? Lord have mercy! Overpriced junk silver at a coin show? Say It Ain't So!! He was firm at $34. You made an offer (which you weren't going to pay anyway) and he refused. Move on. No need to get snotty. Can I get you some fries? Don't want you to go hungry while you're on your soapbox.
  • P.S. I did read the entire OP. Not just the parts I wanted to read.image
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

• erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Would you and Santa be just as inclined to publicly verbally berate someone who posted 90% cull on this sites BST? Or does your attitude have more to do with proximity to the seller, rather then the sellers asking price.

It's supply and demand. Not deception. Kudos to him for being the lone seller of 90%, one of the hottest things out there, at a coin show.
    I learned something new today---culls are one of the hottest things on the market today.image

• I think we need to have profit caps on precious metal sales, especially when in short supply.image

<< <i>I learned something new today---culls are one of the hottest things on the market today.image >>

Careful there. I didn't say "culls". image

<< <i>

<< <i>I learned something new today---culls are one of the hottest things on the market today.image >>

Careful there. I didn't say "culls". image >>

I thought we were talking about overpriced cull silver dollars in this thread. image

<< <i>

<< <i>

Careful there. I didn't say "culls". image >>

I thought we were talking about overpriced cull silver dollars in this thread. image >>

You're right. I should have been more clear with my last statement. I was referring to the fact that there was only one seller of just 90% (outside of the other dealer selling peace dollars at $40) at the coin show. I didn't differentiate between cull and non cull in my statement, although in my mind I did while typing out the "hottest thing" statement.

Edited to add: My wife has been trying to get me to say "you're right" more often when I'm wrong. She thinks I'm stubborn. I think she's wrong.
    geez...my sincerest apologies for apparently having struck a nerve.
    I think I get it now. I should not have offended those who disagree with my simple approach in trying to purchase 200 cull Dollars and sharing the really harmless story of it, and they are completely entitled to their opinion in how I tried to handle it.
    But for sharing the story and having my opinion of it being that I was there, they are entitled to take cheap shots at me simply because my opinion isn't how they "say" they would've handled the matter. I get it now.
    Saying and doing are 2 entirely different things, on that I hope we all can agree? I guess it's those damn karma gods working me over again for opening up and sharing a story...that really doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme...at least not to me. I just thought it was funny being that I was the one there. Sorry to cause such a stir.
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>geez...my sincerest apologies for apparently having struck a nerve.
    I think I get it now. I should not have offended those who disagree with my simple approach in trying to purchase 200 cull Dollars and sharing the really harmless story of it, and they are completely entitled to their opinion in how I tried to handle it.
    But for sharing the story and having my opinion of it being that I was there, they are entitled to take cheap shots at me simply because my opinion isn't how they "say" they would've handled the matter. I get it now.
    Saying and doing are 2 entirely different things, on that I hope we all can agree? I guess it's those damn karma gods working me over again for opening up and sharing a story...that really doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme...at least not to me. I just thought it was funny being that I was the one there. Sorry to cause such a stir. >>

Every other thread or comment from you is a complaint about someone else's pricing or selling tactics or posting habits. Cheap shots? Pot, kettle, black. If anyone was deceptive in your story, it was you, not the dealer.

You have zero control over other people. The endless complaining paints you either as a troll or a jerk. In this latest story you openly admit to deception and lying. How do you think all that comes across to strangers? To me, it means you are someone to avoid doing business with at all costs. If that was your aim, you are succeeding. If you had some other goal with these tired and repetitive complaint threads or comments, you are failing.

Every other thread or comment from you is a complaint about someone else's pricing or selling tactics or posting habits. Cheap shots? Pot, kettle, black. If anyone was deceptive in your story, it was you, not the dealer.
    You have zero control over other people. The endless complaining paints you either as a troll or a jerk. In this latest story you openly admit to deception and lying. How do you think all that comes across to strangers? To me, it means you are someone to avoid doing business with at all costs. If that was your aim, you are succeeding. If you had some other goal with these tired and repetitive complaint threads or comments, you are failing

And you have just told me alot about you as well. Have a pleasant evening.
  • I don't disagree with 'your simple approach' as you called it. What I do disagree with is calling a dealer 'a greedy and DUMB sob' because he did not sell to you at your price.
    As for 'cheap shots at you', who in this thread has taken a cheap shot at you? I know I have not.
    I'd say, if anything, you like teewee, feel the need to paint yourself as persecuted when others don't agree explicitly with you. (TeeWee trying to sell his non existent silver while being shown as a fraud with the woe is me act)
    And I'm not sure how to respond to the 'Saying and doing are 2 entirely different things' comment.
    If I was there, and a dealer refused to sell his property to me at my price, I would not have called him, or thought of him as 'a greedy and DUMB sob'.
    You see, you comment that people are taking 'cheap shots' at you for simply disagreeing with you, at the very same time slamming the dealer for being a slob, or burping to speak as you put it in your OP. Not too mention attacking other posters here with the comment 'And you have just told me alot about you as well' to someone, simply for disagreeing with you.

P.S. Have you looked up the word 'Deception' yet in the dictionary?

If you have, would you please elaborate as to how the dealer was being 'deceptive' to you during this negotiation?

• Also, to the OP:
    I'm not trying to 'call you out' or confront you in a negative way or manner. At least not intentionally.
    We are all collectors interested in the same area-hobby.
    Freely discussing things like this can and does change how one thinks if they have an open mind.
    Maybe next time, you'll think of this thread and act differently, or not.
    The point is this, open dialog and communication is exactly what this hobby needs and what we need.

I have not taken a cheap shot at you for your actions, as I don't think it is needed.

I just strongly disagree with how you conducted your end of the negotiation and final determination of said sale.
  • Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I was being a smart-aleck when there was no need to be. I do apologize for that. I just don't share the same sense of outrage that piecesofme does. I could have expressed myself better. While I was telling piecesofme that there was no need to be snotty, I was being that way myself. Just a little hypocritical. Anyway, sorry if I was out of line piecesofme. I'm a big proponent of keeping the boards friendly and didn't think before I posted. No harm intended. ---Kurt

• << <i> You can't do any better than that? I'll go $31/coin." (there was no way in hell that I was going to pay $31/coin for cull Peace Dollars, but I felt I had to call his bluff. Heck, I was out of town and will never see this guy again, so why not.)
    >>

So, a guy was asking too much for his coins. Ok, so move on--why all the drama?

When he says $34 and you say how about $31, that is not "calling his bluff." Since you say you wouldn't have paid the $31 you offered, it means you were bluffing, and it means you are kind of a jerk. What if he would have said yes? Drama queen
  • This is why I asked about a dictionary. The OP said the dealer was being deceptive. How I ask?

You, the op said you'd pay $31 a coin, and also in the same sentence here stated you would not really pay that.

Is that not deception?
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    34 is high now, but cheap based on prices to come.

Well over 100 this year is my prediction.
  • I was going to reply earlier but I wasn't logged in.

I'm split on this one: if being a jerk to an annoying Comic Book Type Guy is a crime, then they'd have thrown me in jail and thrown away the key long ago. But then again I've got a page full of (non sports) stuff up on evilbay right now at outrageous BINs, and if you don't like it you can stick it.

More than anything, Mr. ofme reminds me of my deceased business partner Izzy. Izzy's heart was in the right place and as an honest appraiser he'd flip out when some scumbag lender would ream him for not lying or not omitting something true but negative from his report. I learned from him and now that he's gone, I get my revenge by reviewing bad appraisals done for the same *#&$ers who wouldn't have hired us in the first place. Izzy and I said for decades that someday the house of cards based on fraudulent appraisals would come tumbling down and now that Lehman Bros, BofA, SunTrust and the rest of them are eating it bigtime (with us taxpayers paying the penalty) I feel slightly vindicated.
    Where in my op did I say that I called the dealer greedy and a dumb sob? I said the guy with the Santa laugh did. I aid it here, but not to the guy and at the time I actually didnt think he was. I just wanted to share a damn story at a coin show here.
    My comment on the way out about fries was unwarranted possibly, but the guy was such an idiot to me, and the 2 others right there observing it all, i felt he deserved it...I guess the way you all feel about calling me all kinds of names...unjustifyably so i might add. None of you were there, i was. I know how this guy acted and you all can say how you would've responded when he spilled his Pepsi all over, but you weren't there.
    I cannot believe that I am being called names and so many cheap shots are being taken at me when none of you were there to see just how much of a jerk THAT guy was being to us 3 potential customers. Because I shared a story and gave the honest account of it is reason to call me deragatory names??? Sh*t, I didnt even do that to the dealer that tried to rape me because he thought I didn't know what the coins were worth.
    Some of you really need to reevaluate your approach in responding here. Maybe I do to, but I aint the one calling all of you jerks, idiots and so forth either. Sure give your damn opinion, but responding in a way that is so degrading is completely uncalled for. I can now see why someone would commit suicide if they took all these harsh comments seriously being on this side of it and it being so unjustified.
    Why are the ones that want to give advice on how to handle matters of this topic and like things the ones that completely over-react in their response to what really is a simple story of what happened at a coin show. It's not like it's our new govt. approach to handle world conflits. geez!. What are those of you that are doing so trying to prove? That you can hide behind a monitor and unjustifyably degrade someone? Wow...you're really a tough guy and have it all together in the head department.
  • Wow..let it go already , if you can't see it you need to take a break dude.
  • sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    As the only dealer in town worth a dang says here in town, "The coin business is full of ***holes". I find that to be really true, more so than in a lot of other areas of collecting, be it on the dealer or buyer side. These "funny" stories that keep getting posted the last few days don't always illustrate what you think they do. No offense intended, but sometimes you should put yourself on the outside before posting / telling stories.

For instance, and maybe it's because I've got stronger morals than most, I'm still bothered by a story by a friend who last year said he went to a garage sale where the guy had 90% coins for sale and said "I know what these are worth" and wanted 4x face. My friend talked him down to 3x. He made over $600 on that deal at the time. Some may think he should have educated the guy (maybe I'm not THAT high-minded), but I DO think when you know you're ripping a guy like that and you know it at least give him what he wanted to make him happy. Talking him down 25% was just sh**** to me. I don't want that much bad karma.
    Pieces, I had a little time, so I broke down your OP. Here are the exact quotes of what was said by each Party so that in your words we could "see just how much of a jerk THAT guy was being to us 3 potential customers. Because I shared a story and gave the honest account of it"

Other guy:
    Other guy "these are culls if there ever was a cull, and that guy over there has some XF's for $40? I'll see you guys."

Santa laugh:
    " buddy I think you just don't want to sell the coins and want to show to the room that you have them when no one else has any."
    "THAT guy (pointing at the dealer) is a greedy and DUMB sob!"

You:
    So me being me, I asked him "how much for all of them?
    I said, "no discount for buying all of them?"

"so that means you're into them cheaper than what they're currently worth...I'd like to buy them all" (again letting him know I would like a discount for buying all of them.)

I said "there's a guy across that room that has some common date ones that are at least XF that he has marked $40 (wasn't selling as junk 90%)...I bet I can get him down to $35, but I'd rather buy from you and take all of these."

I again asked the dealer looking at him dead in the eye, "c'mon man, these are some bad coins...but I want them. You can't do any better than that? I'll go $31/coin." (there was no way in hell that I was going to pay $31/coin for cull Peace Dollars, but I felt I had to call his bluff. Heck, I was out of town and will never see this guy again, so why not.)

"huh, you noticed that too...that there isn't any others selling 90% in the room?"

that I wish him the best of luck selling his cull Dollars in a sarcastic voice. He then proceeded to spill his Pepsi all over his display case. I then said, "can i get you some fries with that?"

DEALER:
    He said "$34 coin!"
    He said ."uh (burp) the best I will do is $33.50/coin."

• WOW
    Who has called you a jerk or an idiot?
    The more you respond, the more 'unstable' you seem. I'm not calling you 'unstable' here, merely observing you seem to feel deprived or persecuted.
    Id try a different approach when others disagree with you. Acting like a persecuted individual for a mere disagreement over a negotiation for 90% silver pricing is unhealthy at the very least.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "You can't do any better than that? I'll go $31/coin." (there was no way in hell that I was going to pay $31/coin for cull Peace Dollars, but I felt I had to call his bluff. Heck, I was out of town and will never see this guy again, so why not.)"

So if he'd have said ok to 31 each for them all....you'd have walked away from your offer?
    Maybe he was from out of town and figured if he could get 34, why not.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <shaking my head> Why am I not surprised?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• fun stuff!
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...Some of you really need to reevaluate your approach in responding here. Maybe I do to, but I aint the one calling all of you jerks, idiots and so forth either. Sure give your damn opinion, but responding in a way that is so degrading is completely uncalled for.

I can now see why someone would commit suicide if they took all these harsh comments seriously being on this side of it and it being so unjustified. ...

What are those of you that are doing so trying to prove? That you can hide behind a monitor and unjustifyably degrade someone? Wow...you're really a tough guy and have it all together in the head department. >>

Brother, really? REALLY?? Please read Red Tiger's post on page 2 because I think that summarizes the majority consensus here; and try to think about things objectively. If not able, please, please take a break, it's not worth this!
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
    no break needed...I said, "I could see how...", not I'm ready to lol.
    The only thing kind of bothering me is all I did is share a story, in it's truth as it happened, only to be called a jerk and idiot and suddenly I am the one deceiving the seller rather than the way it really was.
    I replied to what Capt Morgan said about "waiting for a fish to come along that will pay $34." In my eyes, that would be deceitful of anyone to do to another.
    My "bluff" of a $31 offer was just that, a bluff, because I knew, and so did the other guys, that the dealer was not going to budge...so I called his bluff, that's all. I really cant see how that is deceptive in the slightest even knowing I would not have paid it. The only reason I did it, IS BECAUSE I KNEW HE WOULDN'T ACCEPT IT. That is not deception, that is calling him on the carpet in front of other potential customers. Yes, I wanted to embarass the guy because he was being a jerk about it, not me, he was.
    Again, I was there so I know what the tone was in his voice, not any of you, none of you were there. That's why I thought I'd share a story of a dealer out of his freakin mind at a coin show. Why do you think he spilled his pop as I walked out? Because I got under his skin which is exactly what i wanted to do because, for no other reason than, he deserved it.
    How this has gotten so turned around is the result of pure speculation even with me giving darn near every detail word for word. Just another reason to hate the internet becasue the human factor cannot be felt when reading a story.
    Oh well, I tried to show how a dealer tried screwing someone over and how 3 guys that knew better stood there in disbelief and how a very willing customer (me, I genuinely wanted to buy all 200) gave it right back to him. My God, that's all. Why all the hate and discontent being spilled on me? Because most of you are, or were dealers at some point? Oh, now I understand.
  • " It's not just a river in Egypt "

Please, in the quotes provided by you, please pick out the slightest resemeblance of deceit.

a.) DEALER:
    He said "$34 coin!"
    He said ."uh (burp) the best I will do is $33.50/coin."

b.) You : You can't do any better than that? I'll go $31/coin." (there was no way in hell that I was going to pay $31/coin for cull Peace Dollars

de·ceit   
    [dih-seet]
    –noun
    the act or practice of deceiving; concealment or distortion of the truth for the purpose of misleading; duplicity; fraud; cheating: Once she exposed their deceit, no one ever trusted them again.
    an act or device intended to deceive; trick; stratagem.
    the quality of being deceitful; duplicity; falseness: a man full of deceit.