Home Precious Metals

What represents safety in todays world

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
Land and property.....probably not for the next few years

The dollar...................Nice to have a lot of but losing value
by the day.

Bank interest..............non existent

US Treasuries............. Probably over priced and in due time, will drop in value

Gold and silver...........While historic methods of value preservation, the economic status
of basically bankrupt financial institutions as well as nations means
that the rules of the game may be changed world wide before you
are aware of it.

Precious gems & art . Diamonds are not rare as De Beers probably has billions of dollars
worth of diamonds that it doles out in dribbles. Art is kinda flaky.
unless you own blue boy or the Iris caliber paintings, the market seems
soft.

Rare coins.................. It seems it is always what the other collector owns that is going up while
what I collect is at best going sideways.

so, what is the answer? Darned If I know. I just keep running as fast as my little furry legs will
carry me so that what ever is coming down the road behind me will not catch me. I am looking at
a notegelt of 50 million marks and the mere thought of it kinda scares me.

There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Bear, so whats left is food, water and family! I've got that and moreimage
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 Million? I can understand that!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge:
    (1) what is going on around you (risk assesment).
    (2) being self sufficient and not dependent on others any more than possible.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    During the tough years of the depression, before WW 2 began, I

remember my dad saying if a man had his rent paid for the month

and food in the ice box, he was a wealthy man. I wonder if we are

not sliding back to that same status. My dad was a college graduate

and yet, to obtain a temporary job shoveling snow off railroad tracks

he had to take a written test to seperate the thousands upon

thousands of New York men who assembled for the 100 or so jobs.

Unless this Nation finds a way to stop outsourcing our service and industrial

jobs, we will be unable to provide employment for untold millions of people

who will be coming on line in the work force.
    Camelotimage
    Knowledge...........I know that I am going to be screwed by the banks, financial institutions,

my Government, that has been bought and paid for. I know that somehow, the remaining wealth

of each of us will be tapped and drained and transferred to the institutions and the elite who already

have more then they need. Knowledge is good, but did you ever try to make a sandwich with just knowledge.
    Camelotimage
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>Unless this Nation finds a way to stop outsourcing our service and industrial

who will be coming on line in the work force. >>

The average fat, lazy, stupid American has priced himself out of a job. One can't blame a global economy for that.
    Thankfully, unemployment is capped at 99 weeks in every case.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Land and Shelter
    Firearms
    Water
    Food
    Metals
    Medical Knowledge and Supplies
    Cash

All of that should keep bold and industrious folks pretty "safe," unless
    a meteor or a nuke scores a direct hit on them.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 1792 patterns had it right: To Be Esteemed, Be Useful.

also, see sigline

Safety in today's world can be bought (or more aptly, rented) with stored wealth, but the wealth must be first earned by somebody's labor.

Notably absent from your list, Abe, is a business, a going concern, whether a sole proprietorship or partnership, or through ownership of shares of stock.

edit to add: could be any or all of the above in reasonable proportions

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Knowledge...........I know that I am going to be screwed by the banks, financial institutions,

my Government, that has been bought and paid for. I know that somehow, the remaining wealth

of each of us will be tapped and drained and transferred to the institutions and the elite who already

have more then they need. Knowledge is good, but did you ever try to make a sandwich with just knowledge.
    image >>

Amen brother
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Unless this Nation finds a way to stop outsourcing our service and industrial

The average fat, lazy, stupid American has priced himself out of a job. One can't blame a global economy for that.
    Thankfully, unemployment is capped at 99 weeks in every case. >>

Absolutely not true. You can blame a so called global economy for that. Corporations have ripped the carpet out from under the so called fat, lazy, and stupid Americans by moving jobs off shore where they can pay .50 cents an hour with no benefits and abuse the workers along with the environment. It has been reported that corporate profits are at near record highs. Those Americans you call fat, lazy and stupid made that possible. The same ones that go to work each day becoming more and more productive as the years go by with less and less employees. The same ones who don't receive pay raises for years because the corporations cry poverty. The same ones who have to pay more and more for health care benefits because the corporation cries poverty. The same ones who have their pensions frozen or outright stolen because the corporation cries poverty. The same corporations that are now sitting on an estimated 1.9 trillion dollar savings and 1.25 trillion dollars worth of profit and SILL devising ways to squeeze more out of it's workers. As for the unemployment - I wish the President would have made unemployed joe/jane suffer in short in favor of getting rid of the tax cuts for the ultra rich. It would have been worth the price.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    image when did the current 15 million plus unemployed suddenly get jobs?

DeKalb County lays off 82 firefighter recruits amid budget cuts

Count your blessing if you still have a job.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Absolutely not true. You can blame a so called global economy for that. Corporations have ripped the carpet out from under the so called fat, lazy, and stupid Americans by moving jobs off shore where they can pay .50 cents an hour with no benefits and abuse the workers along with the environment. It has been reported that corporate profits are at near record highs. Those Americans you call fat, lazy and stupid made that possible. The same ones that go to work each day becoming more and more productive as the years go by with less and less employees. The same ones who don't receive pay raises for years because the corporations cry poverty. The same ones who have to pay more and more for health care benefits because the corporation cries poverty. The same ones who have their pensions frozen or outright stolen because the corporation cries poverty. The same corporations that are now sitting on an estimated 1.9 trillion dollar savings and 1.25 trillion dollars worth of profit and SILL devising ways to squeeze more out of it's workers. As for the unemployment - I wish the President would have made unemployed joe/jane suffer in short in favor of getting rid of the tax cuts for the ultra rich. It would have been worth the price. >>

I'm having my roof replaced as I type this ... A crew of 5 (all Salvadorians)... I asked the foreman: why no Americans? He replied, none applied when they looked for experienced roofers. BTW .. same with my lawn care service...all Latinos... I have to add, they are hustlers & excellent workers ( I live in the DC burbs)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>Bear, so whats left is food, water and family! I've got that and moreimage >>

That's how i see it too , nothing tops family.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Knowledge is good, but did you ever try to make a sandwich with just knowledge? >>

Did you ever try to make one and realize you didn't know how to?

<< <i>The average fat, lazy, stupid American has priced himself out of a job. One can't blame a global economy for that.

The stupid American let his union price him out of a job when it should have been considering concessions to keep its membership employed.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Somehow this thread got on the wrong track. Since unions only represent perhaps 11% of the work force

I was not referring to union labor. I am refering to jobs for American working people. You know, your relatives

friends and next door neighbors.

To get back to what represents safety in this crazy time in a crazy world. My best guess is to have a little

bit of everything discussed at the opening. The concept of not putting your eggs in one basket is an age

old precept. However, it is no guarantee that all of your baskets will not fall. I suppose, If one has a job, some

health insurance,cash in the bank, some PMs, some stock and or bonds and perhaps a home, may be the best that you can do.

Some will lose it all due to misfortune such as illness or being laid off while others will be able to hang on by

their finger nails. I do not thing we will see the good times roll in for a number of years so buckle up because

"It is going to be a bumpy ride till at least 2015.
    Camelotimage
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Income from at least FIVE sources and income producing farm land with water rights. Right now a wise person is looking at their assets and diversifying them into performing vs non-performing. Does that asset eat and does it produce income? Houses eat. Pm's don't throw off revenue. Those are way down my list of useful assets. 13% of R1 is vacant in this country.

I like the feeling of not having to buy anything for at least 30 days---if I don't want to. I'm not there yet but will be soon. I used to think it was a little extreme for the LDS to advocate a 90 day supply of perishables......I believe it's darn near a necessity for the average person to use that figure as a goal.

In this country, right now.......this is distressed seller time. 10-50 cents on the dollar with a lot of sellers happy to get that for their merchandise so that they can pay their 8-12% mortgages that can't be refi'd. A few companys are selling slow moving inventory at much less than replacement cost just to use the proceeds to reinvest in better quality inventory.

Cash hasn't been this strong for a long long time....I don't care what anybody says about the 'fall' of the USD. Cash and good credit right now are HOT HOT HOT.
    Have a nice day
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Louisville Slugger

34 oz

I was born in Detroit. This was always a symbol of personal saftey

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Streeter, the little fuzzy bear agrees with you, whole heartedly.
    Camelotimage