Home Precious Metals

Why is .925 Sterling Not as Desireable as 90% Silver?

Why is .925 Sterling not as desireable as 90% silver?

Thanks.
John
Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This older thread on the same subject might answer your question.

Sterling Silver
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    90% refers to US silver coins, while Sterling would have to be bars, silverware, or world coins; thus, it has less appeal.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    what OPA said.

if you went into a B/M with a fork or better a (hollow) knife, you might be arrested, by the regulars there and find youself on a dealer-to-dealer-network, then INTERPOLimage
  • Thanks for the link to the earlier thread. That is the info I was looking for.
    I was mainly asking because I have some nice toned franklin mint round sets.
    I was always curious.
    Thanks again.

John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • Taken from the link to a previous thread : "Ironic that pieces easily more rare and more pure than 90% sells at a discount." I agree with that.

I would suggest while it may be true of the US coin/bullion market that 90% is more desirable in the US , it's more a case of collectors educating themselves.Many other countries used silver purer than 90% for commen currency, outside of the US 90% might be looked on as less desirable for that reason.