Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Beautiful image of a small coin, but.........

veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
We often see superb photos of "small" coins; lower denominations such as small cents, $1 - $5 gold, dimes, nickels, etc.
The advertised images are large and bold, displaying great color, sharp strike, no detracting marks and of course, high price tags.
You finally buy that "perfect" coin, receive it in the mail and admire its beauty.

Does the "buzz" wear off quickly when you realize that it's so tiny? Of course you know that a penny is a small coin, but the gigantic image swept you away. You still love the coin, but as the years go by, it looks smaller and smaller and smaller.

Magnifiers, microscopes and stronger reading glasses are helpful, but then you start feeling like a graduate student in an embryology lab, always seeking a closer look. I often like to gaze at my coins at arms length and have them jump out at me, something that half dollars or silver dollars will do. However, my smaller coins are starting to blend in with the texture of my sofa!

Not a profound topic, and I'm sure it's been discussed in one way or another, but I'm in one of those rambling thought modes.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, it wears off very quickly for me. That's why I collect silver dollars!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I stay away from anything smaller then a dime except for gold errors...

As even with 20/20 vision you need magnification to truly enjoy smaller denominations such as $1 gold, H10C, 3C Silver, California Fractionals, etc.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    diminutive coins have always had this drawback for most collectors.......Morgan Dollars are popular because people like to hold a a chunky cartwheel and on some level they equate the heft of the coin with perceived value

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you think those 5 oz ATB coins are so popular?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Why do you think the Mint came out with the Hockey Pucks? To meet the demands of aging coin collectors!image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is one of the reasons why CBHs and Morgan Dollars are so popular.

I tend to shy away from anything smaller than a small cent.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few small coins (Mexican gold etc) .... but I do like the larger coins. Not for eyesight issues, I just like the heft of a big coin. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a huge fan of tiny coins.
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan of small coins either.

This is one of the reasons why I decided to pursue CBH's after I completed my Lib nickel collection.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Prior to the advent of slabs, small coins were, well, small.

But in slabs, everything is the same size.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I just asked my ex-wife... she said she didn't care how big they were, as long as they were worth a lot of money! imageimage
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Prior to the advent of slabs, small coins were, well, small.

But in slabs, everything is the same size. >>

Yes, that's true. The uniform slab size seems to "even out" the large and small coins.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    While I definitely prefer the larger coins (quarters, halves, dollars), our 1868 3CS is a toned top-pop beauty and I still enjoy looking at it. In a way it demands more attention and time to look over it correctly and thus provides more enjoyment...

Edit to add some pics (like the OP was basically asking for... image )

imageimage
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, I don't like them either. Too dang small for my old eyes.

I don't like this one especially, I bought from a forum member at the last Santa Clara show.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    PrillerPriller Posts: 111 ✭✭

Ok, I'll raise my hand and admit that the focus of my collection is Type I / II G$1. As I have approached completion of a Date/MM set, I have tried to expand into the super sized $2.5 image ... and some other's. However, nothing else give me the pleasure of admiring a Type I G$1. Can I put "why" into words? I really can't. But, it's my passion.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

With most high value coins residing in SDB's, isn't it pictures that we most admire anyway??

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP, I have a really nice 1858 half dime, but it can only be truly appreciated when viewed through a loupe.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no. not in the LEAST.

on the contrary, I find the skill and artistry needed to make a perfect small coin worlds more impressive than something like a half or dollar size coin.

two good points are made here......large digital photos coupled with security issues and safe deposit boxes have made coin admiration a bit different than in the past.

Slabs DO even out coin size. Its is tricky, risky, and awkward to hold a gold dollar, a trime, half dime....or even a dime...in your grubby fat fingers, sit in a recliner, fumble with a loupe ....and there GOES the coin into the recliner. Love them slabs.........

Look at this. `12.7 mm in diameter and perfect. how can you NOT like this??

and when you hold it in hand, the perfection is still obvious.

imageimage
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A small coin can look very big in a photo

As we can see from the above post and they sure do look nice!!!!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think thats why I sold this one.

imageimage
    imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not a huge fan of tiny coins. >>

...says the man with a quarter eagle icon.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    I actually like the looks better for small coins even though I collect both big and small coins. I'm so nearsighted that, without my glasses on, the eyedoctor said I have the equivalent of a 5x loupe and see everything clear at a distance of about 4 inches in front of my face. Big coins actually look bad because I can see every nick on them. Smaller coins tend to have less nicks and scratches and look much better.
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    Not the best of grades or photos but I found these New Orleans twins too hard to pass up...

imageimage
    imageimage

They make a nice pair...
  • Options

If you ever decide to sell that coin, kindly let me know.
  • Options
    Danye WestDanye West Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    This is reason I won't collect anything smaller than nickels. It's harder to appreciate them without a photo.
    I could make a birth year registry set out of pocket change.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    As you get older, the coins you collect have to get bigger otherwise you can't see the details to appreciate them.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ~~~I like big coins and I cannot lie~~~~ Someone should make a song like that....image

Oh... they did....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never had a preference for coins simply because of size.

I like Gold $1 or cents or dimes as much as I like halves or dollar coins.

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    As a lifelong half dime collector, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. image
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    While I love any size of coin, I greatly respect the workmanship necessary to create a smaller coin.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them all.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I agree I enjoy all denominations, but prefer quarters and halves the most. Its alot harder to find larger coins in ms66 or rarely ms67 condition. This can be a challenge, like with Franklins or any halves really. It makes it more fun trying to find them!
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, digital photography has made "size matters" moot. Like most I keep my collection at the bank vault, so what I have to enjoy are the images. (that being said, I like the heft of a circulated, chopmarked Trade Dollar I keep in the desk. Nothing like a big hunk of silver in your hand!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file