CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
From my old dealer-to-dealer network:
"TODAY IS A DAY FOR THE CRAZIES!!!!
......Then had a guy come in that bought eagles from me
in the past pre 2007. Said he wanted to pick up his 2008, 2009, 2010, and
2011 Eagle rolls that he had me order each year. Wanted them at 14.95 per coin
an no he never paid a dime on anything. Just said I was suppose to hold them
for him til he got back in. "

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would comment but I need to go pick up all the rolls I have had dealers holding for me, Thanks for the reminder!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>I would comment but I need to go pick up all the rolls I have had dealers holding for me, Thanks for the reminder!! >>

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume he left somewhat more distressed than when he came in to your establishment. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    You should have told the buyer, for $14.95 each, you only had partial rolls left.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>I assume he left somewhat more distressed than when he came in to your establishment. image Cheers, RickO >>

Wasn't my old establishment. Another dealer.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Another dealer on that network had somebody call Saturday that wanted to buy a $1000 bag of 90% silver. The dealer explains that it is 715 ounces of silver at approximately $37 per ounce. The guy says fine. Dealer goes to the bank vault and brings back a $1000 bag.

Customer comes in an hour later, asks a few questions and says he'll take it. The dealer writes up an invoice for the roughly $27,000. The customer hands him $1000 cash. The dealer waits for the rest. Eventually it is determined that the guy thought he only had to pay $1000 face cash for $1000 face silver. He never bothered to figure out what 715 ounces at $37 per ounce came out to.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Geez...........you can't fix stupid.
    Becky
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, he could have sold him a $1000 bill or 2 $500s then....

make that sale!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another dealer on that network had somebody call Saturday that wanted to buy a $1000 bag of 90% silver. The dealer explains that it is 715 ounces of silver at approximately $37 per ounce. The guy says fine. Dealer goes to the bank vault and brings back a $1000 bag.

Customer comes in an hour later, asks a few questions and says he'll take it. The dealer writes up an invoice for the roughly $27,000. The customer hands him $1000 cash. The dealer waits for the rest. Eventually it is determined that the guy thought he only had to pay $1000 face cash for $1000 face silver. He never bothered to figure out what 715 ounces at $37 per ounce came out to. >>

The dealer shoulda just pulled out 34 Morgans from the bag, put it in a paper bag and sold it to the buyer!

Yep, here's your $1,000 "bag of silver"! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Considering that's a roughly $26,500 transaction, wouldn't it have been logical for the dealer to set the terms of the transaction before the purchase?

Things like: how will you pay? If you're paying in cash we have to fill out the required paperwork (not to mention counting all those $1 bills!); or, if you're paying by check will the dealer just take a personal check or will the dealer require a cashier's check; or will the dealer accept a credit card at all and will the dealer add a fee for taking a credit card.

Is it typical for a dealer to be that casual about a transaction that requires a special trip to the bank?

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it typical for a dealer to be that casual about a transaction that requires a special trip to the bank? >>

If they do a lot of bullion business, they probably are. Probably like a stock broker selling a thousand shares of this or that. Hohum.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Unbelievable.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I thought coin dealers drank because they looked in the mirror? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Considering that's a roughly $26,500 transaction, wouldn't it have been logical for the dealer to set the terms of the transaction before the purchase?

Things like: how will you pay? If you're paying in cash we have to fill out the required paperwork (not to mention counting all those $1 bills!); or, if you're paying by check will the dealer just take a personal check or will the dealer require a cashier's check; or will the dealer accept a credit card at all and will the dealer add a fee for taking a credit card.

Is it typical for a dealer to be that casual about a transaction that requires a special trip to the bank? >>

As someone who has worked in retail sales before, has been customer service (phone support) before, and still deals with partners, I have to agree with the above.....a lot of headaches can be stopped, before starting, if you learn to qualify your customer and understand what they are really asking....with some very quick and simple qualifying questions.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are missing the point...there are no banks in my area that allow vault access on Saturday...Wow!!! image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering, If I had a buy & sell list and asked, just send a SAE, would I get any ASE's image
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I hadn't vowed to honor their privacy, some very funny stories of ignorance I would love to tell. Yet, at the cost of compromising my integrity, that's as good a reason as any to take up drinking.

If that doesn't make sense, let's just say some people are happy that I can beat COINSTAR's prices by 2%. image
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the guy wanting to buy $1000 face in silver is hoping to run across someone new
    at a coin shop. It only takes a single hit to make it worth while.

Or he is just stupid...image
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe the guy wanting to buy $1000 face in silver is hoping to run across someone new
    at a coin shop. It only takes a single hit to make it worth while.

Or he is just stupid...image >>

Bingo!
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are missing the point...there are no banks in my area that allow vault access on Saturday...Wow!!! image >>

How are things in Mayberry these days????

• Options
    More complaints from the trenches:
    "Is it just me, or are the questions and phone calls getting dumber?

so far today I have one person who wants more than silver value for her buffalo nickels,
    one guy who has a roll of 1961 Kennedy halves (no you don't - yes I do!)
    and one guy who has a 1925 $10 Indian (no you don't - yes I do!)

oh yea, how about
    "why are you only paying $25 per $1 of 90% if it contains an ounce of silver?"

"it doesn't contain an ounce of silver."

"well, it used to."

we're going to start imposing a stupid surtax."

• Options
    And from a different dealer:

"Lady asks for a 25th anniversary silver bar.
    I happened to have one without a date, rectangle.
    Was toned, she wanted it shiny, so dipped it, then
    she wanted a box, found a box, the she asks how
    much...told her spot plus 10%...how much is that?
    $44.50 i tell her. She said these used to be $15!
    I said and gas used to be 15 CENTS TOO!!!
    SHE DIDN T BUY IT..SAID SHE HAD TO THUNK ABOUT IT."
  • Options
    The bleeding hearts who feel compelled to criticize dealers may now respond.
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Touche image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q: "Do you buy stamps ? "
    A: "Yes, but only at the post office"

• Options

<< <i>And from a different dealer:

"Lady asks for a 25th anniversary silver bar.
    I happened to have one without a date, rectangle.
    Was toned, she wanted it shiny, so dipped it, then
    she wanted a box, found a box, the she asks how
    much...told her spot plus 10%...how much is that?
    $44.50 i tell her. She said these used to be $15!
    I said and gas used to be 15 CENTS TOO!!!
    SHE DIDN T BUY IT..SAID SHE HAD TO THUNK ABOUT IT." >>

you're probably in it for $15 and want triple!

highway robbery!

how long has it been since you've heard that phrase, price gouger?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I don't drink!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable.... but I have no doubt the incidents occurred just as you relate them. Having been in business for many, many years (not the coin business), the "Here's your sign" incidents boggle the mind. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I'm retired. I just cut and paste comments from dealers on the d2d network.

The dumbest question I can remember from my years in the trenches was "Do you know what bank your checks are drawn on?"
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Between going to coin shows and answering the
    phones regarding error coins for 40 years, I could
    easily make this a 500-count thread with some of
    my stories.

For example, in the past few years, I've started to
    hear a new retort when I tell someone that their
    coin was either hit with a hammer, or run over by
    a train......their reply?

"Why would the Mint do that?"

I think I've found the right subject for the next
    Whitman Publishing numismatic book !
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    "THE 100 DUMBEST QUESTIONS ASKED OF COIN DEALERS!"
    Go for it!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Posted by a dealer on Saturday:
    CUSTOMER CALLED TRYING TO CASH IN SOME BERMUDA DOLLARS ... SAYS
    THEY ARE US CURRENCY ... WE ASKED WHO WAS ON THE FRONT OF THE
    BILLS ... HE SAID QUEEN ELIZABETH ... THE QUEEN OF USA ...
    I WONDER HOW THEY HAVE ENOUGH BRAIN POWER TO RUN THEIR HEART AND LUNGS

• Options
    Apparently someone missed the memo that went out, back in 1776.

That's OK. I don't check my Facebook every day, so I can kind of understand.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"THE 100 DUMBEST QUESTIONS ASKED OF COIN DEALERS!"
    Go for it!!!!!!! >>

I would buy a book like this in a heartbeat!
  • Options
    Real complaint: somebody kvetched because a dealer was buying silver rounds at spot, and wanted 50 cents over to sell them! Called the dealer greedy!

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Real complaint: somebody kvetched because a dealer was buying silver rounds at spot, and wanted 50 cents over to sell them! Called the dealer greedy!

image >>

Becky
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again, truth is stranger than fiction. Thx for a few laughs!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember - they vote. And they reproduce.

Buy gold.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    From the D-2-D network today:
    "Call of the day. Guy calls and said he had some more walking liberty halfs
    to sell and wanted to know how much more he would get today as silver was
    up. Told him silver was showing quite a bit down today. He insisted it
    was not. Gave him price we were paying for a 90% silver half, and he then
    asked how much would we pay for a silver quarter. I told him "half of that"
    He got upset and screamed "You mean you're only paying 12 1/2 cents for a
    silver quarter. Where do they come from?"

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"THE 100 DUMBEST QUESTIONS ASKED OF COIN DEALERS!"
    Go for it!!!!!!! >>

I would buy a book like this in a heartbeat! >>

I think it is being written now.
  • Options
    And a followup to that one:

"My best one in recent history was an older lady that was belligerent with me
    because her "Golfers" nickle wasn't valuable. At first I didn't know what
    she had, then she clarified it by saying it was a nickel with 2 golf clubs on
    it and there were 2 golfers shaking hands. Classic."

(That's the 2004 Indian Peace Medal design nickel.)

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>well, he could have sold him a $1000 bill or 2 $500s then....

make that sale! >>

Actually, a $1,000 bill will sell for 2K and the $500's at $800-$1,000 each.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... "You mean you're only paying 12 1/2 cents for a silver quarter..." >>

If he's willing to pay me exact change, I might take that deal. Priced any half cents lately? image
  • Options
    Over on my old d-2-d network, one guy sold a bag of 90% Saturday for pickup after check clears. Deposited the check on Monday, and got a call from his bank today that the writer had stopped payment on the check. The gutless coward hadn't bothered to call the dealer to tell him he was reneging.

Another dealer sold "a bag of 90%" on Friday. The guy received a $1,000 bag of dimes today, drop shipped from another dealer the selling dealer had a good relationship with, so the coins were no problem.
    However, the buyer calls the selling dealer and insisted he had ordered a bag of "quarters, halves and dollars only" and wants to return it.

• Options
    Posted today:
    "Guy came in today, rudely walked up to the front of the line, loudly said he
    had some chinese silver dollars and he wanted to sell them, further that he
    knew they were 80% silver. As he held one of the coins out to me I reached
    out with my magnet and it jerked the coin out of his hand with a delightful
    CLANG. You'd think this would be the end of it but the guy was belligerent
    and insisted they were 80% silver. He grumbled so much I told him that this
    was my job and to give me the benefit of the doubt that I just might know
    more than him about it, and that I didn't come to McDonalds and screw with
    him when he was working. He left, grumbling all the way...much to the joy of
    my other customers!"

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CH, get working on that book---it has the makings of a numismatic cult classic.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    This morning on my old dealer network:
    First call of the morning.
    Caller: Do you buy scrap? I heard gold is over $1600.
    Me: Yes we do.
    Caller How much are you paying for scrap iron?
    Me: ?????????? How much you got?
    Caller: 5 sec. Pause then Click

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the store last week.

Customer: I'm interested in buying some bullion. Mostly silver. Maybe some gold. What are your selling prices?

Me: Depending on the form of manufacture, the premiums vary, as well as fluctuating by base price in some cases on a momentary basis relative to the COMEX.

Customer: O.K. I want to buy several thousand dollars worth of silver.

Me: O.K., well in this instance you will be exempt from N.Y. Sales Tax, but you are required to provide photo ID and the transaction will be documented.

Customer: Well, what if I want to pay for the deal in cash and pay the Sales Tax ? I want to remain "autonymous", 'cause I don't want any paperwork. You know, the government might want to seize this.

Me: Sir, did you mean anonymous? (As I look him directly in the eyes, and then shift my gaze to the multiple video cameras that are pointed at him...and then back to his blank stare.) And the customer never caught on.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>Posted by a dealer on Saturday:
    CUSTOMER CALLED TRYING TO CASH IN SOME BERMUDA DOLLARS ... SAYS
    THEY ARE US CURRENCY ... WE ASKED WHO WAS ON THE FRONT OF THE
    BILLS ... HE SAID QUEEN ELIZABETH ... THE QUEEN OF USA ...
    I WONDER HOW THEY HAVE ENOUGH BRAIN POWER TO RUN THEIR HEART AND LUNGS >>

The Queen of USA...
    This is great!

Capt, what is the D2D network? Is it sort of a blast email to several dealers' addresses?
    Just curious.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file