Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rattlers with white foam insert

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody have info on these? I have been told they were part of the first 50 done, others have said they were temporary while waiting for different sized gaskets. Post your thoughts or conspiracy theories here.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    David Hall's 50 favorite coins?

P.S. That's not foam! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most I've seen have had IHC or small Patterns.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I've seen Patterns and Flying Eagle Cents with them before.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a lawsuit about them?
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have owned several of these over the years, all of course containing pennies. But I haven't heard anything about them being the first ones produced by PCGS. Here's one I currently have.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    I got one! Maybe they are all AU 55

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't there a lawsuit about them?
    image >>

Why, what, when... As Air-Tite holders use the same foam w/ no issues.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The only one I've ever handled was a pattern. I think they were a temp fix when they ran out of regular ones.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen far too many of these to believe that only 50 were produced. If I recall correctly, they were always used with copper. I would think they had a shortage of regular inserts and used these. I also do not believe they were the first coins encapsulated by PCGS.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another:

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was always my understanding that the white inserts were a way that PCGS used to try to combat the moisture problem in slabs for copper coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe BillJones is correct. I have only seen copper and copper/nickel coins with foam inserts. I've heard the "ran out of slabs" reason before, but I've seen different sized coins in them, including cents in quarter-size holders, and half cents in half dollar-size holders with foam. Did they run out of multiple sizes, but only for copper and CN coins?. In addtion, my flying eagle serial number is 3129250, whereas there are much later serial numbers like Charmy's 711xxxx. Since the coins were slabbed so far apart in time, I'd be surprised if they ran out of slab inserts multiple times. The "ran out" argument would make more sense to me if the SNs were all very close together, coming at the same time, with all the same size coin in them, and if there were other silver and gold coins in foam, not just copper/CN.

My theory is that the foam was an attempt to preserve the color of copper and CN coins as best as possible. The rattlers were some of the least airtight slabs around, but once moisture/humidity got in, it is tough to get out. A secondary (long shot) theory I had was that the foam was a way to prevent smooth-edged coins from rotating and rattling around in these holders. The rattlers did have prongs to try to hold reeded-edge coins in place for a while, but they often broke and ended up rattling. The prongs didn't work too well with smooth-edged coins.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to see a S9 proof flyer in a MS holder - whatever you do, don't break it out! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread should be revisited, very interesting. I have never seen one!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so where does this fit into condor101's analysis??
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Russ, NCNE >>

Awesome!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread should be revisited, very interesting. I have never seen one! >>

I have several rattlers in my collection but never knew these existed. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.image

Mike
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing up this old thread on this subject. Very interesting reading. I'm certainly leaning towards BillJones and Kove's interpretation as to the reason for the foam insert. Makes the most sense due to the fact that it's primarily copper coins and the serial #'s on the rattlers are from various time periods during the rattler generation.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file