Home Metal Detecting

Might have found a good place to hunt! Now just need some warm weather!

I think I might have found a great location today to hunt. I run an add in a local free trader paper looking for old bottles and yesterday I got a call from a guy who said he had some that he found years ago as a kid, well today I went and looked at them. First one I spotted right off was a Saratoga mineral water bottle, he told me found all the bottles right on his own property and then came the history of the place.... His house was built onto an old one room school house from prior to the civil war. The region was very prosperous at one time and the land he owned was once where the entire village that has now moved about 5 miles away- I guess the water got bad. Seems where he found most of the bottles was on the same side of the road as his house, just the other side of an old stream- I say old because now it is more of a marsh. He told me from what he had found out that there once was a bottle making plant there. Also across the road from his house- still his property was the site of an old mill and a milk station, as well in the surrounding woods were about a half dozen old house foundations!

I told him I wouldn't mind hunting for some more bottles around his place, he said he hadn't done it for years, but wouldn't mind trying to find some more. Somehow we got onto the subject of coins and he mentioned about the ones he found every so often out in his yard and over by the out buildings- which were near where the old well had been and horse trough- get the picture? His yard had been the schoolyard in the center of the village! He then brought out some of the coins, nothing too exciting- a couple of Canadian large cents and Indian head pennies, he said his brother had kept the US large cents found in the yard-mind you all these were found on the surface. I guess I am going to need to get in shape soon and get ready for some serious digging/detecting, as he said he wouldn't mind me hunting his yard with the detector to see what was there under the surface. Now just have to wait to set a date after the frost leaves and before the bugs arrive- he said because of the marshland the black flies are something fierce. Hopefully in a week or two I will have some great finds to share here with you all. Oh, and I need the price of gas to stay under $4 a gallon or find a better gas mileage vehicle- he's really in the boonies and about 1 hour away- the only part that sucks!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic opportunity.... there should be some great coins there.... if he was finding them on the surface, there has got to be some goodies in the ground. Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I wanna go too. image
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good luck with it and happy hunting
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wanna go too. image >>

Me too! ROAD TRIP!!!!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    The snow is still crotch deep here. Of course that will vary depending on you leg length.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>The snow is still crotch deep here. Of course that will vary depending on you leg length. >>

geesh I remember those days in maine LOL

hey Kev sounds great, if you do search let us know how you make out!

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill