Home U.S. Coin Forum

~ Token Tuesday... Post some Exonumia ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Reposting my WTH purchase for those who missed it...

Also as otherwise it's tough to come up with something new to post each week! image

1844 Henry Clay Campaign Medal, HC 1844-9

This scarce intriguing medal was issued by the Native American Party also known as the Native American Republican Association. It’s members were usually referred to as "Natives" a precursor to the Know Nothing Party in 1844.

They saw the U.S. flag as "Trampled Upon" and urged people to "Beware of Foreign Influence."

They supported the Whig ticket of Clay and Frelinghuysen and this medal is a product of the their platform was anti-foreign-born and anti-catholic.

They asserted that only native-born, protestant citizens were fit to run the country.

imageimage
imageimage

Anyone who has seen the film "Gangs of New York" is familiar with this anti-immigrant movement, which appeared in the early 1840’s and had political influence up to the Civil War when more pressing concerns pushed it from the stage.

White metal 41mm in diameter -

The obverse depicts Henry Clay standing with his right arm upraised and with his left holding a tattered U.S. flag with 13 stars.

On the reverse is a flying eagle with a scroll in its beak is surrounded by a semicircle of 7 stars.

Most surviving examples are known in VF +/- details condition and are either holed for suspension or have been plugged. This Unc example (NGC MS62PL) is one of the finest known and is fully proof-like along with being unholed.
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting for some images of new Conders from Todd, so here are some oldies, but goodies...

Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1835 Alfred D. Willard, Boston, Mass., HT-171 / Low-328

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    C.C. Wright Declaration of Independence Medal Electrotype. Signatures Reverse. Baker 53M

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Declaration of Independence Medal is very cool.
    These tough to locate? What year were they manufactured?
    Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

<< <i>That Declaration of Independence Medal is very cool.
    These tough to locate? What year were they manufactured?
    Scott >>

DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE- Facsimile Signatures
    WRIGHT, Charles Cushing: USA, ca.1851, Bronze, 91 mm
    Obv: John Trumbull's Painting Declaration of Independence July 4th, 1776
    Rev: Facsimile signatures of all 56 signatories of the Declaration of Independence

These include (in script, listed here with complete names in order by state): Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton, John Hanc'ock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry, Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery, Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott, William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris, Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark, Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross, Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean, Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton, George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton, William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn, Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton, Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton.
    Signed: C.C. WRIGHT. FECIT

Copper electrotype. This very rare, unlisted medal is not known in any other than electrotype form. Only two specimens are know to exist (Jaeger and Bowers).
    Ref: Obverse is the same as Baker 53F, but this medal is unlisted in Baker; see Jaeger and Bowers, p. 77.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>C.C. Wright Declaration of Independence Medal Electrotype. Signatures Reverse. Baker 53M

image >>

Wow, that's really cool! What's that or one like it worth? I absolutely need to get one or more of those!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    From the BST from a few years back. Thank you K It's one of only a few dozen coins I have raw.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Declaration of Independence medal is exceedingly cool.

As long as we're doing electrotypes here's another with an edge view.

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    The Declaration of Independence electrotype medals are really cool and are quite rare. As mentioned by Broadstruck, they were made circa 1851. I believe (have to check my records) that the one I posted before was the David Bowers reference specimen. I purchased it from a dealer at the ANA Convention in Boston. These electrotypes are quite rare. I have handled two examples of the signatures reverse, and I know there is a third. I purchased it from a dealer at the ANA Convention in Boston. Here is another example with a North America reverse, which is currently considered unique.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭✭
    hey Broadstruck,

would this be Exxon-numia? Link

www.brunkauctions.com

• PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    The electrotyped CC Wright medals are very cool items. I figured this might add to the conversation ...

It's a production electrotype (i.e. not a later copy) that was never finished. Before the obverse and reverse shells were joined at the rim (leaving behind the telltale seam that we now use as a diagnostic), this how all specimens of this medal looked. Somehow, this one just never got put together. That's lead that's visible on the reverse.

I have a few unfinished electrotypes, just sets of matched shells that were never assembled, that I use in my Summer Seminar class -- nothing illustrates what an electro really is better.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bicentennial Wagon Train Pilgrimage

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

<< <i>hey Broadstruck,

would this be Exxon-numia? Link >>

Bring back your old avatar/icon as I didn't recognize you at first image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very cool tokens here.. but the Declaration of Independence token is amazing...never saw that one before. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file