Home Metal Detecting

Thinking about getting into detecting....is this a good deal? Any suggestions?

What do you think? This is offered on craigslist here in charlotte.....

Teknetics Delta 4000 Metal Detector with Pinpointer and Carry Bag.

The Delta 4000 metal detector is the latest and greatest from the world-renowned Teknetics metal detector brand. The Delta boasts state-of-the-art detecting features housed in the most modern of detector designs.

The large control housing features push-button controls, numerical depth readout, an intuitive menu system and a running depth indicator. These tools combine to help even the most novice detectorist hunt like a professional! Advanced features include adjustable sensitivity, discrimination by categories, a two-digit numerical target identification system, and two search modes: Discrimination Mode and All Metals Mode.

Teknetics Delta 4000 Metal Detector Product Specifications:

LCD Target Readout
Low Battery Indicator
Press and Hold Pinpoint
Preset Ground Balance
8 Inch Open Face Coil System
5 Level Adjustment by Category
3 Tone Audio Discrimination
Sensitivity Adjustment
Overload Alarm System
Made In USA
5 Year Warranty

This is a great metal detector with wonderful reviews. I bought it to locate an underground water pipe. I did and so I no longer need it. I paid about $300.00 for it a few weeks ago and am willing to sell it for a bargin, $225.00.
Jake Blackman
blackman.jake@gmail.com
704-719-6866

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there, I'm not really familiar with Teknetics so I can't offer much of an opinion. Other detectors to consider at that price range are the Garrett Ace 250 and Ace 350. One site I usually go to is Treasurenet. Others go to MetaldetectingForum.com. You should be able to find more info on that machine on those sites.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sites recommended above can help you make a decision. I believe you will decide against the Teknetics... there are better machines available for that price range. You will also need a pinpointer and a digging tool. Cheers, RickO
  • Do you find a pinpointer useful Ricko ? I had one in the latter part of my detecting days so maybe had become used to working without one but i found it of little real use.Yes it will pinpoint but i already pretty much know where the item is and by seperating spoonfulls of earth as i dig it just seemed quicker without one.
    I see the above listed machine has a built in pinpointer as does my brothers Whites , i sold the pinpointer after one or two outings.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I found the pinpointer to be of great help... not only in recovery speed, but it reduced the "mess" when trying to locate the target. Without a pinpointer I found myself ripping clumps of grass apart and sometimes putting it all back together was a challenge. With all of the grumpy people out there, we need to be as neat and concise as possible.

In beach areas I don't use a pinpointer as much due to the ease of digging and ease of putting dirt back in the hole. In grassy areas, every shovelfull counts.

It really helped after switching from a concentric coil to a double d as pinpointing is a bit more of a challenge (at least to me) with a double d.
  • Maybe i should have gave it a chance , it seemed to be unneccessary at the time.Luckily i was able to detect on private property for the most part so hadn't the grief i often read about others getting.For a digging tool i have a ..dunno what they call it , it's half trowel and half bowie knife is how i'd describe it.It makes a hole about the size of a silver dollar and thats been good for coinshooting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    James,
    I have found the pinpointer to be a real timesaver. Especially for those small targets, encrusted with mud or wet soil. Pinpointing with the MD is good... no doubt about it, but when the target comes out of the hole, is a bit deeper, or just off to the side, the pinpointer quickly resolves the issue.
    Cheers, RickO