Home Metal Detecting
Options

An ugly duckling, but still beloved (DD Coin #201- 1781 Mexico City half real)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a 1781 Mexico City half-real. It's not from my holey coin collection, but rather it is coin #201 from my metal detector "keepers" album.

I dug this one in the Old Sunbury Road, a colonial era sand road that ran from Midway, GA to the dead town of Sunbury, GA. Sunbury was once a thriving river port but declined after the Revolution and War of 1812, becoming a ghost town by the mid-1800s. The old road had remained basically unchanged for over 200 years, though, when I hunted it in the mid-1990s and found this piece. Now there's been new development in the area and they've closed it off and posted NO TRESPASSING signs everywhere, alas.

I found a Civil War button near this piece, so it's possible it was lost in the CW period rather than the colonial era. Then again, it could have been either. There was traffic on the road in both eras, and I dug other artifacts from both of those date ranges.

One of these days, hopefully before summer's out, I will have all of my past dug finds imaged. Most of the better or more interesting finds came during the period when I was much more active in detecting, but unfortunately back then I'd never heard of the Internet, didn't carry a camera around with me, and didn't write about my finds. I did keep records on where and when I found all my "keeper" coins, though. (Unfortunately that applies only to coins- I didn't keep records on other the artifacts.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments