Home Sports Talk

NFLPA De-certifies... looks like 1987.

Time for some great replacement player football !!!!
Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick, get Keeanu Reeves on the phone, plus the actor who played "Clifford Franklin" in "The Replacements".

Might as well get the cheerleaders and Gene Hackman too.

• << <i>Time for some great replacement player football !!!! >>

If you took those replacement players, and put the name of the player they are replacing on 'their' NFL uniform...most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference, and it would be business as usual for the NFL...a world where the gamblers account for 80% of their success.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • worry about this in September. Millionaires whining about Billionaires, just play some ball and cash your fat checks and shut the hell up.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>worry about this in September. Millionaires whining about Billionaires, just play some ball and cash your fat checks and shut the hell up. >>

+1

It's hard to take anyones side in this mess.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that the NFL can't drug test....I'm guessing there will be some big time partying going on with some of these players!!!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Quick, get Keeanu Reeves on the phone, plus the actor who played "Clifford Franklin" in "The Replacements".

Might as well get the cheerleaders and Gene Hackman too. >>

Pain heals.. Chicks dig scars... Glory, lasts forever.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Amen. The last baseball strike is what put an end to my interest in that game. I grew up with only football as a Major sport in Miami, I hope this doesn't end the same way.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>worry about this in September. Millionaires whining about Billionaires, just play some ball and cash your fat checks and shut the hell up. >>

You're right - they shouldn't complain at all that the owners want to take FIVE BILLION DOLLARS from them over the next 5 years. That's $589,622 per active roster spot per year. You don't think that's worthy of a complaint?

Tabe
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Time for some great replacement player football !!!! >>

If you took those replacement players, and put the name of the player they are replacing on 'their' NFL uniform...most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference, and it would be business as usual for the NFL...a world where the gamblers account for 80% of their success. >>

Bodog has odds and is taking action on chicken racing from Turkmenistan if anyone is interested.

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

You're right - they shouldn't complain at all that the owners want to take FIVE BILLION DOLLARS from them over the next 5 years. That's $589,622 per active roster spot per year. You don't think that's worthy of a complaint?

Tabe >>

Good point...

They players need to know how much the owners are making right?

so they can get their piece of the pie...

that is laughable...

we can tell them to just play...but we are paying their salaries...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...

<< <i>we can tell them to just play...but we are paying their salaries... >>

Since the NFLPA's last and final demand was to see 10 years of Owners' financials, then players should volunteer and show the fans their audited tax returns. You know, as an act of good faith, let's see how much money David Carr has made since being drafted in '02. Afterall, as Steve said, our hard earned money is going into the players' pockets.

For some reason, I have a feeling they wouldn't and tell us to pound sand...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screw em all. I'll play golf on Sundays this year. I'm getting cranky in my old age. Perhaps it has something to do with no COLA two years in a row on my SS while these overpaid pampered athletes gripe they don't get enough millions and the owners want more billions. Again - Screw em all.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<a world where the gamblers account for 80% of their success....>>>

Well said.

As a classic example, take the MNF game this year between TEN/JAX. Who, outside of those 2 (small market) cities, would normally care about a MNF game involving those 2 teams if gambling, in all its various forms, didn't exist?? That game had a 4.2 rating, and was the highest rated show that night. Why? Because of the millions of fantasy owners, pick 'em pool participants, and game wagerers.

I love football, but if I didn't have Chris Johnson on my fantasy team, there is no way I would be watching that game from start to finish.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    to be honest I'll find something else to do in the fall....like watch college football instead....as much as I'll miss watching the Browns image there are other things that will keep me busy. al.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case the NFL season is canceled, I just signed up for a sewing and knitting class to have something to do. If anyone wants a nice sweater knitted let me know...I'll do anything except New York or Dallas Cowboys logos. image
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

Tabe >>

They can complain all they went. No owners = no job for them. If they don't like it, maybe they should go play flag football and see if they can get paid. I don't care if they owners want to take the money, it's their league. Sad to say, the players are replaceable, the owners are not.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're really going to go after players and label them as overpaid ungrateful millionaires, baseball players should be at the top of the list. The life of a football player, by comparison, is far worse than that. Contract money is not guaranteed, the average career length is about 5 years, and many players retire with debilitating conditions that worsen over time. If they want to get some of the money that these billionaire owners are making off the game more power to them. There are plenty of wealthy people who can own a football team, but a very finite pool of talented individuals who can play football at the NFL level. If any of you are old enough to remember watching the replacement games in 1987, you will know exactly what I mean, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>They can complain all they went. No owners = no job for them. If they don't like it, maybe they should go play flag football and see if they can get paid. I don't care if they owners want to take the money, it's their league. Sad to say, the players are replaceable, the owners are not. >>

The owners are absolutely replaceable. There's a long line of people and groups looking to buy into the NFL at any given time.

Tabe
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    The owners are scum. They hold cities hostage for new stadiums and are now going to squeeze the players. They all with a few notable exceptions want $300M from their city as a gift and and now likely another $300M from the players. I hope the players actually show some backbone, but given the nature of the NFLPA, they won't.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<There are plenty of wealthy people who can own a football team, but a very finite pool of talented individuals who can play football at the NFL level. >>>

Well said.

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They can complain all they went. No owners = no job for them. If they don't like it, maybe they should go play flag football and see if they can get paid. I don't care if they owners want to take the money, it's their league. Sad to say, the players are replaceable, the owners are not. >>

The owners are absolutely replaceable. There's a long line of people and groups looking to buy into the NFL at any given time.

Tabe >>

If the players are getting a raw deal and there are other parties willing to invest, why do you suppose outside money/players/agents don't just form a new league and chop up the money the way THEY want to?

The NFL brand and the owners who control it MUST have tremendous value or I would think that they would have given a player-controlled league a shot by now. NFL needs the best players and the best players need the NFL. Now they are testing whether the fans need the league. If games are missed, I think owners/players are going to be surprised at how many people opt out of NFL fandom, at least for awhile.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think owners/players are going to be surprised at how many people opt out of NFL fandom, at least for awhile.

Can't see that happening. Gambling and fantasy football have too much of a stranglehold on the sport for that to happen to any appreciable degree. If games are missed, and I hope none are, you can bet the fans will be back a soon as play resumes..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

Tabe >>

From an economic perspective that statement makes absolutely no sense. If there's a long line of potential buyers then you raise the price for acquiring a franchise higher and higher until the pool of potential buyers is =<1. There is never, in any market, a long line of perspective buyers looking to transact in a market UNLESS there's some endemic market distortion at work (for example, a video game like COD:Black OPS can't be printed at a rate fast enough to satiate market demand).

<< <i>The owners are scum. They hold cities hostage for new stadiums and are now going to squeeze the players. They all with a few notable exceptions want $300M from their city as a gift and and now likely another $300M from the players. I hope the players actually show some backbone, but given the nature of the NFLPA, they won't. >>

They do not hold cities hostage. They simply state what the city needs to pay in order to keep the franchise. The city always has the right to state that the price the owner has demanded is unacceptable.
    If the players don't like the benefits Owners are offering, they could always go to the UFL or CFL. Or, they could just start their own league.

Keep in mind, other than Jerry Jones' personal guarantee on his $1.2B playground, the Owners don't necessarily "need" football to make ends meet. Sure, they may go down a notch or two on the social elite list but they'll still be able to keep a roof over their head and food in their bellies.

Just sayin...

<< <i>From an economic perspective that statement makes absolutely no sense. If there's a long line of potential buyers then you raise the price for acquiring a franchise higher and higher until the pool of potential buyers is =<1. There is never, in any market, a long line of perspective buyers looking to transact in a market UNLESS there's some endemic market distortion at work (for example, a video game like COD:Black OPS can't be printed at a rate fast enough to satiate market demand). >>

The guys who already own the teams aren't selling. When a team goes up for sale, LOTS of groups express interest. It's not like it's hard to sell an NFL team, is it?

Tabe

<< <i>The guys who already own the teams aren't selling. When a team goes up for sale, LOTS of groups express interest. It's not like it's hard to sell an NFL team, is it?

Tabe >>

Lots of interest may be shown but not many have the financial capabilities to move forward on a sale. All in, the price would probably be somewhere between $750MM to $1.2B and per NFL rules, the lead Principal needs to personally own 20% ($150MM to $240MM).

That's a lot of check change...
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    the real question is what is the annual return on the real investment for owners. you cant just take the total revs with out subtracting cost. If you paid $1 billion for a team you would have to net $100 million to see an annual return of 10% (that would be if you didnt have any interest payments on either: stadium loans, initial purchase of team, etc). However, the NFL and NFLPA say the league has revenue of ~9 Billion. Remember revenue is total income (not net income). So if this was truely divided equally among teams that would mean each team took in ~$281 million per year (not sure if this number includes stadium revenue or not). The median payroll last year was ~120 million. Remeber last year was uncapped. But as we play along that would leave us with ~$161 million after player salaries. we arent even talking what the teams pay out in terms of benifits. for most other companies benfits are around 20-30% of salary. how ever i am not sure what it is for the nfl as i am not sure how the retirement packages compare to other jobs. so we will leave this out but we also must remember that this number could be an additional $24-36 million. so player salary and benifits could be between $120-156 million per team. you still have to pay your coaches and manangement teams. then start taking your other costs out. not sure how much it costs to fly an entire NFL team around 18 times a season (not including playoffs) but i am sure its not cheap. from what i hear, teams that play on the road in the playoffs really extend their hit to their bottom line. it will be interesting to see what it does the the Packers (3 road playoff games plus the SB). the Packers are the one team where we will see the full books. then again they dont have a daddy warbucks either. but again if daddy has to dip into his pocketbook to float the team that must mean the teams arent all that profitable.

the bottom line is that i dont see that the owners have bought their teams just to make money...why because the real return isnt there as one would think. thats why most of these owners still have their outside investments that make the real money. to them owning a team is a status symbol for their real world wealth accumulation. any one that gets into owning a sports team thinking they are going to make big bucks will be quickly brought to reality.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>the bottom line is that i dont see that the owners have bought their teams just to make money...why because the real return isnt there as one would think. thats why most of these owners still have their outside investments that make the real money. to them owning a team is a status symbol for their real world wealth accumulation. any one that gets into owning a sports team thinking they are going to make big bucks will be quickly brought to reality. >>

Owners in the NFL make big money when they sell their teams. That's where their MOST profit comes from.

However, it is definitely naive to think that the teams are not making a profit.

Tabe

<< <i>

<< <i>From an economic perspective that statement makes absolutely no sense. If there's a long line of potential buyers then you raise the price for acquiring a franchise higher and higher until the pool of potential buyers is =<1. There is never, in any market, a long line of perspective buyers looking to transact in a market UNLESS there's some endemic market distortion at work (for example, a video game like COD:Black OPS can't be printed at a rate fast enough to satiate market demand). >>

The guys who already own the teams aren't selling. When a team goes up for sale, LOTS of groups express interest. It's not like it's hard to sell an NFL team, is it?

Tabe >>

Think about it. If you price a team at 'x', and LOTS of groups express interest, then you've priced the commodity too low. Continue to raise the price until there is only one buyer willing to pay.

If it's not hard to sell a team then the teams are being priced too low, and people like Jerry Jones or whomever didn't make their billions by completely underpricing multi-million dollar assets. If you can dredge up a case where scores of buyers were all looking to buy a team, and instead of then raising the price the seller just picked a name out of a hat and sold it to the lucky winner, then please share-- we'd all like to learn who the world's stupidest billionaire is.
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If we're really going to go after players and label them as overpaid ungrateful millionaires, baseball players should be at the top of the list. The life of a football player, by comparison, is far worse than that. Contract money is not guaranteed, the average career length is about 5 years, and many players retire with debilitating conditions that worsen over time. If they want to get some of the money that these billionaire owners are making off the game more power to them. There are plenty of wealthy people who can own a football team, but a very finite pool of talented individuals who can play football at the NFL level. If any of you are old enough to remember watching the replacement games in 1987, you will know exactly what I mean, LOL.. >>

100% agree.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.