Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone know an eBay seller by the name "bestcrystal"?

About a year ago, give or take, I came across an auction by bestcrystal, liked the coin (probably was a Morgan), but with so much controversy and publicity about chinese fakes, before I would bid, I sent the seller a question asking if he guaranteed authenticity.

Perhaps it was naive of me to do so, but I was trying to be cautious. I never got an answer, but was seduced by the coin, and chose to bid. It was at that point I discovered I'd been blocked.

I couldn't even communicate to ask why, nor am I able now to do the same, despite my interest in a few of his coins.

With 100% feedback - and a bit more experience behind me - I'd like to mend the fence, so to speak, but have no way to do so, thus, am wondering if anyone here knows this seller, and would consider running interference...

I could simply ignore it, and this seller, but he probably thinks by asking the quiestion, I somehow offended his integrity, and if so, I'd like to make amends.

Should I simply walk away, and keep looking for coins as nice as I found in his auctions?

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought this large cent from bestcrystal in Dec. I'd be happy to send a note on your behalf. Tell me what message you'd like to send along.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    One reason why I, as a seller, am slow to block bidders that others here would block.

Sorry, I don't know this seller.

--Jerry
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    We block people. If somehow a blocked person contacted us we it would likely only fortify the reason for blocking in the first place.
    Let it go and move on.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that Paul Sims, the high-volume Coin World advertiser?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just put his auctions on the don't show list (sellers that you don't want to see their
    stuff) when you search. Then the temptation to bid on his stuff is not there. Or,
    open a 2nd account under a different name and bid with that account. Ebay does allow
    two accounts for the same person.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I wish I were a control freak so I could block people, decide who gets to send or receive first in every BST transaction, report DCarr Peace dollars on eBay, report posts I disagree with on this forum, etc.

I was reared to be a trusting and compassionate person... maybe one day, members here will convince me to become a control freak! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased one Lib $2.50 and several bullion coins from bestcrystal. He is a good seller. No problems.
  • Options

<< <i>I wish I were a control freak so I could block people, decide who gets to send or receive first in every BST transaction, report DCarr Peace dollars on eBay, report posts I disagree with on this forum, etc.

I was reared to be a trusting and compassionate person... maybe one day, members here will convince me to become a control freak! image >>

Thats kind of harsh image But really, a recent example, Canadian buyer on ebay...Took about 7-8 days for e-check to clear, that was a friday afternoon so it was shipped first class international on Monday. It took 30 more days to make it to Canada, that sucks. Buyer doesnt think of looking at postmark, or consider international shipping, customs etc. buyer does not contact us prior to feedback with their displeasure. But I contacted them and gave a very polite and precise breakdown of the timeline. They still responded with " well thats never happened before" attitude and all said they dinged our dsr pretty good...Blocked.

Hey thats my first ebay rant and I feel better kinda imageimage
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭
    Open a new eBay account and use it to buy. If you need a star or two before you can buy from him, buy a couple of cheap items and you are set. You can pay with your existing PayPal account
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    It wasn't directed at you... but you may have been the trigger. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Should I simply walk away, and keep looking for coins as nice as I found in his auctions?

If he blocked you just because you asked if he would guarantee authenticity, that is exactly what I would do.
  • Options

<< <i>It wasn't directed at you... but you may have been the trigger. image

I'm amazed how quickly people are to react here... I learned yesterday that I'm deploying to Afghanistan again in September; my fourth time at war. If I were to shoot everyone in Iraq and Afghanistan that had a weapon (civilians), a cell phone (IED detonators) or looked suspicious (everyone), the war would be over since there'd be no survivors. You learn to be more forgiving in non-lethal decisions (contradictory opinions, misunderstandings, mistakes, etc.) when you have to make lethal decisions daily. Maybe I'm just calloused... and OT! image >>

I didnt think you were directing anything at me image With that said I admire your demeaner for a man who has seen more than one should, thank you for your service and stay safe image And....I still think there are block-worthy peeps on ebay image
  • Options
    joz350joz350 Posts: 185
    Thanks llafoe, stay safe.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks llafoe, stay safe. >>

image Come back safe.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wish I were a control freak so I could block people, decide who gets to send or receive first in every BST transaction, report DCarr Peace dollars on eBay, report posts I disagree with on this forum, etc.

I was reared to be a trusting and compassionate person... maybe one day, members here will convince me to become a control freak! image >>

Thats kind of harsh image But really, a recent example, Canadian buyer on ebay... >>

STOP RIGHT THERE....that's all you had to say.... blocked!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thats kind of harsh image But really, a recent example, Canadian buyer on ebay... >>

STOP RIGHT THERE....that's all you had to say.... blocked!
    image >>

image That made me laugh pretty hard. I have had great transactions with our northern neighbors for the most part. It could have just as easily happened here. We had one buyer that was frustrated that their Hairdryer had not shown up and they were scolding us via email and then remembered that the postman left their packages at the end of the driveway in a abandoned cars trunk, all was good and we received 5-star feedback image
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe consider creating a new eBay account. In my opinion, though, I'd want nothing to do with a seller
    who blocked me for asking a question such as yours.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or,
    open a 2nd account under a different name and bid with that account. Ebay does allow
    two accounts for the same person. >>

And if a seller realizes that you've circumvented a block, the transaction can be canceled and both of your accounts closed. Getting around a block is expressly forbidden by eBay.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Or,
    two accounts for the same person. >>

And if a seller realizes that you've circumvented a block, the transaction can be canceled and both of your accounts closed. Getting around a block is expressly forbidden by eBay. >>

How is the seller possibly going to recognize that in this case?

The OP simply asked a question. His real identity was never disclosed.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, you are not harmed in any way by being blocked by this seller.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    "In my opinion, you are not harmed in any way by being blocked by this seller. "

+1

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +2

If it is Sims, they have a mixture of good stuff, problem stuff and in-between. They were one of the old time "slider" sellers, advertising to buy sliders and selling "BU"s in every issue of the trade mags. They would also block you as a phone buyer if you sent their sliders back, but they did have some good stuff...just getting them to send it to you was iffy.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to post that with lkeigwin's kind and generous assistance (Thank You, Lance!), it appears I've been forgiven my infraction.

Honorable people, all!

Gawd, I love this forum!
    UBERCOINER

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wanted to post that with lkeigwin's kind and generous assistance (Thank You, Lance!), it appears I've been forgiven my infraction.

Honorable people, all!

Gawd, I love this forum!
    image >>

Old Chinese saying---Be careful what you wish for. You may get it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Yeah, that's in the back of my mind, but at least now, I have the option...

UBERCOINER

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Kudos to the man with the Rottie for an iconimage-------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    OK I have been watching some of this seller's auctions. Is it OK to buy from him or not? Are we declaring a boycott?
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

As a buyer, any seller that refuses to answer a legitimate question becomes
    suspect. And I've learned this the hard way. Which is why I can't for the life of me
    understand why you would want to do business with someone that would block you
    for simply asking a perfectly reasonable question? image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>As a buyer, any seller that refuses to answer a legitimate question becomes
    suspect. And I've learned this the hard way. Which is why I can't for the life of me
    understand why you would want to do business with someone that would block you
    for simply asking a perfectly reasonable question? image >>

Good question. Perhaps the OP wants the opportunity to cherry pick this seller should the opportunity present itself.image

• Options
    ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    I've also been blocked by bestcrystal and always wondered why. As the OP experienced, I probably was blocked because I simply asked a question. Never thought of that as being the reason.

What is strange is that I have purchased from bestcrystal in the past without incident. I liked the coins (circulated SLQs) I received, thought they were fairly graded, a good value for the money and provided positive feedback immediately.

A couple of years ago I went to bid on some other coins and was blocked. I knew the connection to Paul Sims so I simply called to ask why. I spoke with a friendly lady, explained my issue and reminded her I was a repeat customer. She said she would talk to whomever. Still blocked.

I hear the advice about just moving on. However, I take it personally. I want to know what I did that was so wrong as not to allow me to spend my money at his store.

Customer service at its finest.
  • Options
    Is Paul Sims one of those Coin World advertisers that has the full page ads selling over graded and/or problem raw coins?

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    This is the seller I bought this roll of Indian cents from on ebay for like $1,200. Sellers like this I try not to get mad at me. Kind of like the soup Nazi on Seinfeld. I never knew this was Paul Simms- interesting........

• Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

OK. Now I understand a little better. If this guy has coins like this and they're authentic, and he's been in biz for a long time with a good rep, then it's quite possible he was insulted by the question of guaranteeing authenticity. It's certainly no justification for blocking you, although I do understand the Soup Nazi analogy. Good luck!

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Maybe now that you are unblocked you should ask him why you were blocked. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "... getting around a block is expressly forbidden on ebay" Now that's a funny one, Jeremy.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's really to bad this has happened to you as this is a great seller, one of the best on the bay. Bestcrystal sold me this Graf Zepplien and is the finest example I have ever seen, the luster and color on this piece is lovely, not to mention the strike. I would go along with Lance's offer to try and make it right with this great coin dealer. If I can help, just say the word and I'll do what I can...Joe

imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Joe, Lance managed to fix it already....
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Joe, Lance managed to fix it already.... >>

OOOPS...
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    I once asked questions about a bust half and bestcrystal blocked me too. I later sent an email explaining rationale for my questions and was unblocked.
  • Options
    Some people just need to grow some thicker skin. Seller has a problem, move on. It's not hard to find more Morgans.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have bought a few nice items from him, once an 1855S half eagle in EF, another time a matched roll of 1926 peace dollars with a few very subtle bag toners.
    perhaps a few others..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>I once asked questions about a bust half and bestcrystal blocked me too. I later sent an email explaining rationale for my questions and was unblocked. >>

Yep...just happened to me as well. Said the pics were nice but it is always hard to tell from pictures if a raw coin is hairlined or cleaned and asked for their thoughts.
    No response but when I went to bid later, with a nice high bid actually as everyone thought it was die polish lines I saw, I was already blocked.

That's fine with me as that seller is likely someone who would be quite difficult to deal with if there were any problem. And, if there were no problems with what they sell, then I would think they would be quite willing to stand behind their product and their return policy (7 days is what they state).

Obviously, this seller is either paranoid or has something to hide. I would err on the side of both

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    It may be that this seller is interested in nothing more than that - selling. Anyone questioning a coin in any way in which the answer might dissuade someone from bidding or buying gets the axe. Period.

Could be a very [VERY] sensitive individudal who has no patience for buyers he considers beneath him, buyers the seller feels don't command any consideration, since, if they question ANYTHING, the questioners simply can't appreciate a coin as much as the seller does, and his lofty perspective is fueled only by those who create no waves, or ripples, of discontent.

When I posted the OP, it was because I was attracted to many of his coins, good quality stuff, but also couldn't understand the rationale behind being blocked. Never expected an answer from him, but as some have mentioned in this thread, I hoped to cherrypick a few coins.

I sense a pattern here, and it ain't nuthin' to do with the Mint.

As others have suggested, perhaps it's just as well to leave him be. It won't matter to the seller if he gets my money or not, 'cause someone else - by default - will end up with the coin. The seller will be happy, and so will I, for choosing the path of least resistance... just like the seller's doing.
    UBERCOINER

• Options
    Choices-

Don't sweat it. Take your business elsewhere.

Or get a 2nd Ebay account so you CAN bid.

Simple solutions for a simple problem!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I would not do business with anyone who seems to routinely block people for asking legitimate questions. What do you think will happen if you REALLY have a problem with a purchase?
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    If I were an eBay seller, I would block everyone.
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>If I were an eBay seller, I would block everyone. >>

Lol
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seller thinks the OP's quesion is a red flag for a return or future problem on the sale. Seller obviously feels like "why even bother with this buyer when I don't have to."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>Seller thinks the OP's quesion is a red flag for a return or future problem on the sale. Seller obviously feels like "why even bother with this buyer when I don't have to." >>

You should help test that theory.....send the seller a question saying "Excuse me, just wanted to say 'hello'". If you get blocked, then the seller just nukes everyone who uses "ask a question". If you don't, then they only nuke those asking about the coin being auctioned.

I'd do it, but I already asked a question about a coin, so they blocked me image

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Search the archives to get an ear full concerning Paul Sims. There was a reason he changed his ID.
    USAF vet 1951-59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file