Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The smallest customers are often the most difficult to please

Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
The smallest customers are often the most demanding and difficult to please. I have observed this paradox often enough that I almost consider it a law of nature. Here's a recent eBay example.

Not long ago I bought a PCGS graded 1957 proof set solely for the purpose of obtaining the high grade 1957 half dollar. I put the other four coins on eBay for $9.99 each just to get rid of them. A single bidder bought the nickel, dime, and quarter at the opening bid of $9.99 each. All three of these coins graded Proof 66.

Less than 48 hours after the auction ended, I got an email from the winning bidder wanting to know the tracking number for his shipment. I usually sell coins in the $200 to $2000 range and rarely receive this over eager level of concern from a bidder; but, I sent the guy his tracking number.

Today I received an email from the bidder saying that he's unhappy with the quarter because it has a hint of toning, as was described in the auction listing, and is not blast white. In short, he'd like to return a 1957 PCGS PR66 quarter with a melt value of about $6 and get his $9.99 back. He's also contemplating returning the PR66 silver dime for the same reason. At least he's happy with the nickel, lol.

Comments

• Options
    I would say in every mix, there are demanding customers no matter what type of price range...
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    "I have observed this paradox often enough that I almost consider it a law of nature"

I think it is, and it seems to apply to whatever one sells.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭
    I have handed taxpayers high six figure audits and they said it was nice working with me and that was that. The worst arse-reaming I ever took was over a 3 figure audit when I was a new auditor.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The smallest customers are often the most demanding and difficult to please. >>

I have heard this from others as well.

Two generalities come to mind -
    1. People who don't have a lot of money consider every penny as precious.
    2. People who do have a lot of money tend to "not sweat the small stuff".
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I am afraid to do e-bay anymore, I am paranoid I'll run into more bidiots-----BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi Bayard1908,

I don't really see a "paradox"? I see your point though. But, to some people, that is a "lot of money" (to some its not the money at all) and each deal may seem make or break or very important to them for their own reasons and that is not my business nor should it be or could it be.

If within the time frame (it seems so) for you returns (you chose to literally guarantee he would like it - and you did not show Rev pics!) and the guy doesn't like the coin(s), honor your policy and move on?

Berst wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The smallest customers are often the most demanding and difficult to please. >>

2. People who do have a lot of money tend to "not sweat the small stuff". >>

Ecellent points. Not really a paradox but quite logical when you think about it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    As my mathematics professor always loved saying "stereotypes do not come out of thin air!" Perhaps that's not politically correct, but I am rarely so. What it means is that a majority or plurality of the group you are talking about has a greater tendency to exist those traits than another group.

With that said, this does not condone anyone to judge any individual based on such a generalization, even if you have an extensive amount of empirical data.

With that said, there is definitely an strong, inverse relationship between the amount of money someone spends and the amount of "hand holding" they need.

There are other reasons for this as well, but I have to run now. Perhaps if this thread continues I will comment on them later.

Greg
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Well, it is 6:18 am and I am half asleep, but there are indeed some people out there spending a lot of money who could use some "hand holding" if not education and/or common cents!

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. My recent experience with the sale of a $15 proof Franklin culminated with threats of leaving me a neg.

Are you going to share his/her ID so we can block?
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As indicated above, it may be a 'stereotype', however it definitely has a sound base. Having been in business for many years, I can assure you, that over 90% (these figures are accurate, from the business I was in, compiled over twelve years) of the 'problems' come from customers that are 7% of the business. We finally 'cut' that customer segment and were able to devote significantly more time to customers who 'made' our business. Tough love, but it works. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I sell a lot of low value coins (or I used to, ebay and PCGS are making that less profitable now and I haven't done any big grading deals for a while) and 99% of all customers, big and small, are easy to please. But I agree with the premise in the OP, if you're gonna have problems, it is usually a low value coin. In my recent Silver eagle sale on ebay where I sold hundreds, I had only one customer hard to please. She didn't read the auction of the presale. Needed the coin for a wedding before my auction said I would be shipping (presale). I borrowed a coin from another dealer and had him dropship to her. She sent me a note saying she was very disappointed that the coin didn't get there before the wedding. I got the tracking from the dealer and sent it to her (showing it did get there) and never heard another word from her.

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>"I have observed this paradox often enough that I almost consider it a law of nature"

I think it is, and it seems to apply to whatever one sells. >>

It is funny how that works. On the flip side, if you were to ask any waitress, it is the old rich guy who is the worst tipper.
  • Options
    I think it is funny that we preach buy the coin and not the holder here non stop, but when someone without a lot of money practices it, they are a problem. Maybe he didn't think they were good for the grade. You should be careful how you treat poor people, sometimes they improve their station but won't deal with you because you mistreated them.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How true! When I was back working in the coin shop we had this kid, must have been 3' 6", who was always so difficult to please. His brother, who was much taller, was so much easier. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    In real estate, I found those purchasing below a certain amount felt entitled and those above a certain amount acted elite. Both were troublesome.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    How do you know he is short? image
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is fair to assume all of the people buying cheap coins on eBay like that who are difficult are poor or do not have a lot of money. I would bet some of the most problematic buyers are actually wealthy people who are doing their catfish imitation. Because of the way eBay has set up the rules, it has created an environment where they can force you to be an approval service on your dime and return it if it is not a shot upgrade.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    It's always funny when people on a Wal-Mart budget expect Nordstrom service and quality.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'The customer is always right'.... at least in the customers' mind.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

2. People who do have a lot of money tend to "not sweat the small stuff". >>

Ecellent points. Not really a paradox but quite logical when you think about it. >>

There are plenty of people with money who do indeed sweat the small stuff. A friend who was a pharmacist at a chain store said that it was the well to do who were more likely to bring in one of those $10 off coupons that they put out to entice you to switch their biz to your store. To her it was a PITA and more than it was worth.

Maybe the buyer here was one of those who didn't want to accumulate a bunch of stuff that he would end up getting rid of later. Easier to return it and save the hassle later.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Is it really that "the smallest customers are often the most difficult to please", or, are many/most of us less forgiving and more likely to remember problems, in the case of the smallest customers?
  • Options
    I don't think it's strictly true at all , other than citing cases with nothing to illustrate the actual auction it's just one mans opinion who hassles most.
    In my own experience it's been high end coins that bring the grief in all forms.Usually the buyer weasling a discount on threat of return or worse.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's always funny when people on a Wal-Mart budget expect Nordstrom service and quality. >>

How dare poor people expect good service!!! Actually, I've had good service at both stores that you cite but only one has someone that actually greets me at the door.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>"I have observed this paradox often enough that I almost consider it a law of nature"

I think it is, and it seems to apply to whatever one sells. >>

Absolutely, some of my worst experiences selling antiques has been in the under $50 category. I can remember one fellow in particular who, after I gave him a 30% markdown on a $45 item, was unmerciful in his attempt to get under 10%, then started countering in $1 increments. I finally told him politely that I couldn't do business with him. He later came back when I was away and did the same thing to my wife, who hadn't even given him the 30% I had!!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the OP is taking a shot at me...

I prefer to be called short, not small. image

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>'The customer is always right'.... at least in the customers' mind. >>

IMO it's the seller that needs to make the customer think he is outherwise he may not be a seller for long.
    One unhappy customer will tell ten people about it. One happy customer keeps the good service a secret.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The customer may not always be right, but the customer is always the one spending the money.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it really that "the smallest customers are often the most difficult to please", or, are many/most of us less forgiving and more likely to remember problems, in the case of the smallest customers? >>

I'm not so sure it's that simple. I think the majority of problem buyers I've run into have been over rather inexpensive items, but I attributed that to the majority being newer (either to eBay and/or collecting--I'm not saying experienced buyers don't buy inexpensive coins, but from communications it seems they're not so experienced).

Perhaps this inexperience has led to unrealistic hopes (MS63 is not perfect, and might even have some heavier contact marks; "a small amount of toning" really means the coin isn't blast white), and lacking familiarity with how transactions may normally be handled, these buyers can also be more difficult through a return process. It never occurred to me that some of the problems may be over the value of money, though that, too, seems very plausible.

You may recall, Mark, that my biggest problem buyer was over a very large purchase, and I'm going to be neither forgiving nor forgetting image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potential customers are even more difficult to please.
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>

<< <i>Is it really that "the smallest customers are often the most difficult to please", or, are many/most of us less forgiving and more likely to remember problems, in the case of the smallest customers? >>

I'm not so sure it's that simple. I think the majority of problem buyers I've run into have been over rather inexpensive items, but I attributed that to the majority being newer (either to eBay and/or collecting--I'm not saying experienced buyers don't buy inexpensive coins, but from communications it seems they're not so experienced).

Perhaps this inexperience has led to unrealistic hopes (MS63 is not perfect, and might even have some heavier contact marks; "a small amount of toning" really means the coin isn't blast white), and lacking familiarity with how transactions may normally be handled, these buyers can also be more difficult through a return process. It never occurred to me that some of the problems may be over the value of money, though that, too, seems very plausible.

You may recall, Mark, that my biggest problem buyer was over a very large purchase, and I'm going to be neither forgiving nor forgetting image >>

I was thinking the same thing. When I saw this I immediately assumed that the buyer had less then 25 feedback.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's always funny when people on a Wal-Mart budget expect Nordstrom service and quality. >>

How dare poor people expect good service!!! Actually, I've had good service at both stores that you cite but only one has someone that actually greets me at the door. >>

They will also give you a smiley face sticker!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Funny but right after reading this a moment ago, I went to my ebay to see if a buyer paid yet so I
    could get his item out with the afternoon mail. I clicked on his feedback and saw that he received this:

Negative feedback rating Seller charged me $2.50 for shipping then I had to pay another 14 cents COD Buyer:
    Member id volvoman200211au ( Feedback Score Of 302Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499)
    Mar-07-11 11:23
    2010-11 Everett Silvertips Magnet Schedule (#200574481719) US $0.99 View Item

A neg over 14 cents? On a freking .99 item?

I sorta agree with the OP, I find them the most demanding as well.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The customer may not always be right, but the customer is always the one spending the money. >>

Or ignorantly overspending the value of their time involved in returning merchandise that they are not 100% thrilled to own.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some here can deny it if they wish, but based on 13 years' worth of ebay selling experience, the simple fact is that on ebay, low end value buyers (be it numismatic or otherwise) usually have less experience, less knowledge, more unrealistic expectations and thus, higher percentages of problem transactions. We decided long ago that if the item or lot wasn't expected to bring at least $20-$30 minimum then it wasn't worth listing. The learning curve kicks in pretty quickly when someone causes you grief over the "poor quality" of a $10 face value note that sold for $8.75, or complains that the group of ten different clearly described Mercury Dimes they bought for roughly 50 cents each didn't have any rare dates in the lot... or returns the 1970 proof set you sold them because they didn't find a small date cent in it (after tearing the pristine box due to not knowing how the flap opened). Or, the early 60s set that gets returned because they "heard about" (and therefore expected it to contain) a doubled die reverse Franklin (problem is, the set in question was a 1963). Or, the buyer who wants to keep only the two coins they want out of a mixed lot and return the rest for full credit, plus shipping, natch. Or, the guy who buys the 1941-1974 partial Lincoln set in a Whitman folder and wants to return it under threat of a negative feedback... because there weren't any Indians in it. And those are just the ones I remember right off the top of my head.

And all of this hassle for cheap items offering virtually no profit in the first place? No thanks. I'll leave those sales for someone who places no value on their time.

I also lose patience with the "these guys could get rich and spend a million bucks with you later" argument. I hear that comeback a lot but have yet to ever see verifiable proof that it's ever happened...but even if it did happen... if they are being this big a pain over a $10 deal, can you imagine what a joy they would be to work with on a higher value deal? image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the type of coins. I don't agree with "the smallest customers are the most difficult to please", or even "often".

Edited because I don't like the way it came out
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people are simply determined to be a PITA.

I've seen them at all levels.

It's not personal, they are just jerks.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some people are simply determined to be a PITA.

I've seen them at all levels.

It's not personal, they are just jerks. >>

Perhaps we are more tolerant of people who buy five figure coins from us than those who buy $25 coins from us.
  • Options
    I have had them from all levels of buyer. Big dollar and small dollar. I can say that I am usually more tolerate of a big buyers demands and irritated by a small dollar buyers demands. Maybe that is why you noticed this more with the smaller dollar buyers. I have to swallow that feeling often. I learned from an old salesman when I first went into commissioned sales to treat the small buyers as good as the big ones. He used to look at me and ask, "Where do you think all those big fish come from? They weren't born that way." He was and is correct.
    Later as I matured in my selling knowledge I realized he was really talking about trial buyers. Of course, he was also the one who taught me that sometimes you are just better of not selling to someone as they will always cost you more in labor than you could ever make in profit.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He used to look at me and ask, "Where do you think all those big fish come from? They weren't born that way." He was and is correct.

Problem is...if the "small fish" is a jerk, if/when they become a "big fish", they're usually just a bigger jerk.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He used to look at me and ask, "Where do you think all those big fish come from? They weren't born that way." He was and is correct.

Problem is...if the "small fish" is a jerk, if/when they become a "big fish", they're usually just a bigger jerk. >>

Money doesn't change men, it merely unmasks them image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...since he (the buyer) is small change, you should pay-it-forward and just return his $9.99 for the quarter and tell him to keep it and enjoy it...tell him to go and grab an ice cream cone on you...then go and buy a lotto ticket and see if it comes back image

Erik

EDITED TO ADD: lol, I just now realized how old this thread is image

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    an ebay seller can give away everything for free, pay the shipping and still at least two people in 1000 wont be happy. it is the law of averages
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree. A majority of the issues I ever encounter are around the smaller stuff. My last neg was by a newbie who never even gave me an opportunity to make it right. I offer to reimburse buyers the return shipping if the problem is on our end.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Two words come to my mind, Oh brother!
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP's story reminds me of a customer who bought an NGC MS63 Morgan from me off eBay in the 1990s. I called it "white" in the description, and it was indeed untoned, but there was a microscopic carbon fleck on the inside edge of the numeral "3" that required a loupe to see, so he wanted to return it. I took it back and sold it to a dealer for more money the next day.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think it is fair to assume all of the people buying cheap coins on eBay like that who are difficult are poor or do not have a lot of money. I would bet some of the most problematic buyers are actually wealthy people who are doing their catfish imitation. Because of the way eBay has set up the rules, it has created an environment where they can force you to be an approval service on your dime and return it if it is not a shot upgrade. >>

Be careful with assumptions.. I called Apmex last year ..1st saying I had some MS-70 Silver eagles I wanted to sell ... the person seemed annoyed just dealing with a $600 lot and literally hung up the phone. Little did person know after getting a silver eagle quote I was planning on selling 5 American Eagle gold proofs.. I have not called Apmex since
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    The customer is always right..........

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    In my experience I have certainly found a disproportionately high number of difficult buyers purchasing very inexpensive items.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file