Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1893-s Morgan dollar partial collar error - world's rarest Morgan dollar?

roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
1893-s Morgan dollar partial collar error certified by NGC

This XF details 93-s Morgan was recently certified by NGC. It's pretty well cleaned or scrubbed, probably a net Fine. This type of error is not listed in the Red Book. It would seem to be a lot more common than a full brockage. So what kind of premium would something like this be worth on the key date of the series? Are there a couple deep pocketed Morgan error collectors out there that would fight to the death to own this coin?

I don't own the coin nor do I know who owns it. Dr. Fey suggests there are only a few hundred partial collars in existence for all Morgans. So on a 93-s this could be unique or nearly so.
But even if quite rare, is there a huge demand for an error that is nowhere near as visible as a DDO or DDR, off center strike, double struck, etc.?

What would one of these be worth in this condition if it were on a common date Morgan?

roadrunner
Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it, but for this date, I would prefer the non-error type. Don't get me wrong, the error is very cool and awesome, but it IS the key date for the series. Also, since it has been cleaned, that is a little bit of a turn off, but not nearly as much as being the key date. image

• Options
    Rampage, I would think the majority of regular collectors would probably agree with your view. But all it would take would be a couple of hardcore error collectors to enable such a coin to go to a relatively high price. Are there enough such collectors out there?

For myself, I'd rather have a damage free VF than the XF details error coin. But that's just me. I have no clue what the error coin is worth but would not be willing to gamble hoping it's a great rarity. A 30-50% off-center 93-s would be a great error rarity imo. Don't know what that that would be worth but I'd prefer that in scrubbed XF over a damage free VF.

roadrunner
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! The ultimate white elephant!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Aw, come on Tom, you can be more specific that that! After all it's getting national press exposure from that article. image

Would it be worth more if sold on St. Swithins' day?

roadrunner
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rampage, I would think the majority of regular collectors would probably agree with your view. But all it would take would be a couple of hardcore error collectors to enable such a coin to go to a relatively high price. Are there enough such collectors out there?
    roadrunner >>

Don't get me wrong, most folks who know me know that I am a a big error coin collector. Having said that, I would much rather own a problem-free XF partial collar Morgan for a few hundred dollars rather than a key date problem examples for multiples of thousands of dollars.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Tom said, using my favorite expression
    for this type of coin - It's an excellent example
    of a 'Wite Elephant'.

My definition of that phrase, for numismatics,
    is that the value of the coin (1893-S, cleaned
    or not) FAR exceeds the value of the coin
    as a partial collar Morgan Dollar.

My take on it is that the coin will be purchased
    by a Morgan dollar collector, and probably not
    by an error collector...but that's just my view.

It's neat, it's unique, it's a dollar - but the error
    collector who would pay a discount from the
    coin's 'normal' value, or a premium, is about as
    rare as the coin itself.

However, I can see a Morgan Dollar collector
    who would love to have a mechanical error on
    a rare-date Morgan......and that is unique for the date.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Most error collectors won't pay premiums for better date coins. Cause they just want the error, not the date.

If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    Thanks for the inputs guys. Lucky to have Fred around to offer his view as well.

Was kinda suprised there wasn't at least one person taking the line that the coin was worth as much as a problem free XF. But I have no horse in the errors game.
    Just wanted to feel out the reasonings behind the viewpoints.

roadrunner
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with your reported assessment by Fey of the numbers of extant partial collar Morgans. I would expect that if he were so certain that the numbers were limited to only a few hundred, that he would have some scientific or statistical analysis data to back that up. I'll counter his reported opinion with my own conjecture that the numbers actually approach 500-1000.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Are there enough of these partial collars around to complete a full Morgan date and mint set?

I don't have any clue as to the number remaining and was just passing along what Dr. Fey said in that article...which was "several hundred." To me that could mean as high as 500, but probably not 1,000.

roadrunner
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, there are not enough of them to make a date/mm set.

Most dates & mintmark combos do NOT exist -

The most common are 1921's, many "S" Mints, and then
    the "O" mints from the 1880's era. I've seen 1878-S,
    CC's, and various other years and Mints, but as mentioned,
    MOST dates/mm combo's are not known with this error.

There are some with 5-10 known, and many with just
    1-2-3 known.

It's impossible to know how many Partial Collar Morgans
    do exist, but if "A Few Hundred" means up to 250 or so,
    I would take that number rather than the 500-1,000 number.

That's just my view/take on the number known.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taken to the extreme, it seems obvious that an 1804 dollar with an error would bring LESS than an 1804 dollar without an error.

But then again, for some strange reason the Brasher Doubloon with a random punch on the breast instead of the field has been promoted to be worth significantly more....so who knows. image
  • Options

<< <i>Taken to the extreme, it seems obvious that an 1804 dollar with an error would bring LESS than an 1804 dollar without an error.

But then again, for some strange reason the Brasher Doubloon with a random punch on the breast instead of the field has been promoted to be worth significantly more....so who knows. image >>

TDN, I see your point as it relates to the 1804 Bust Dollar, but the example cited regarding the Brasher Doubloon is irrelevant. There is no comparing Mint Error features which are incidental, to a hallmark punch applied by design after the coin is released from the source of minting.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Partial collar coins mean nothing to me.
    Problem coins mean close to nothing, other than bullion.

A collar error 1893-S with serious originality problems is nothing more than a curiosity to me. To each their own of course, but beyond about $100 I just don't care. Really.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Taken to the extreme, it seems obvious that an 1804 dollar with an error would bring LESS than an 1804 dollar without an error.

But then again, for some strange reason the Brasher Doubloon with a random punch on the breast instead of the field has been promoted to be worth significantly more....so who knows. image >>

TDN, I see your point as it relates to the 1804 Bust Dollar, but the example cited regarding the Brasher Doubloon is irrelevant. There is no comparing Mint Error features which are incidental, to a hallmark punch applied by design after the coin is released from the source of minting. >>

I disagree as I think that you may have missed the point that promotion and the human mind can often overcome logic.
  • Options

Why not the 1848 "CAL" quarter eagle as well. But let's face it. A Brasher or CAL punch are far different historically than a tilted collar/railroad rim.

And I'm not so sure that an error 1804 could not be worth a premium. But we're not discussing major rarities, just a key date in a popular series with thousands known.

roadrunner
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No, there are not enough of them to make a date/mm set.

Most dates & mintmark combos do NOT exist -

The most common are 1921's, many "S" Mints, and then
    the "O" mints from the 1880's era. I've seen 1878-S,
    CC's, and various other years and Mints, but as mentioned,
    MOST dates/mm combo's are not known with this error.

There are some with 5-10 known, and many with just
    1-2-3 known.

It's impossible to know how many Partial Collar Morgans
    do exist, but if "A Few Hundred" means up to 250 or so,
    I would take that number rather than the 500-1,000 number.

That's just my view/take on the number known. >>

I would guess that more than 250 Morgan's exist with a Partial Collar error. I have seen maybe 50 at auction over the years. If "known" means in a slab, this estimate may be correct. Including coins in long time sets where only the collector is aware of the error, a number in the high 100's seems more likely.
  • Options
    This one never ceases to amaze me. Have never seen or heard of another of this date/variety.

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Nice first year error, Coindeuce. Though quality Morgan's are quite plentiful, versus the mintages, the errors are quite scarce.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But then again, for some strange reason the Brasher Doubloon with a random punch on the breast instead of the field has been promoted to be worth significantly more....so who knows.

I would not assume the center punch was random. The unique piece is the only one known from the (by far) earliest known die state. Most likely, Brasher intentionally changed the punch location somewhere in the middle of the production run, creating two distinct types. Regardless, I will forgive Dansco if they do not create two separate holes in the album.

Sorry to go OT, but I take my Brashers seriously.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were collecting Morgan dollars by date and mint mark, I would not want this coin. I would want a "normal" coin. The same applies for me for my type set. If an off-center 1796 No Stars quarter eagle cropped up to fill the last hole in my set, I would pass on it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    As a Morgan collector, I have two errors. One is a rotated die 1878-CC and the other is in the VAM series I am putting a grading set together with.

My VAM grading set has another coin for the same grade.

I would not fill my Morgan set key dates with a mint Error. I just don't think it will improve my chances to resale later.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image … whoa
    needle in a thread is like a needle in a haystack.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most off center or out of collar strikes will show some of the most powerful detailed strike a coin can receive. By that, the details are extremely sharp, more so than on the regular strikes. For that reason, such coins added tremendous knowledge of the quality of coin I wanted in my collection.
    If you look at my set, almost every coin has defied the myth, if there ever was one, that every coin can be located with an EDS strike. And an error like the OP coin proves that the details were in the dies.

Leo

To add; although the article doesn't show the coin well.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file