Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin, Food, and Wine Pairings

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 4, 2017 1:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The first course should be something classic, not too ambitious, not too heavy, but of substantial quality:

AU Draped Bust cent + Smoked Salmon + Pinot Blanc

Where do we go next image

Update: The ANS has announced an event "Wine and Coins" on December 17, 2017. The event is listed in the latest ANS Magazine.

Comments

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the Longacre estate, of course.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where do we go next image >>

Five Guys for some real food.
  • PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    ATB 5 oz+Beerstein+Bratwurst
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS chain cent, beef wellington, and a fine Oregon pinot noir
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I prefer peace+lamb+scotch. But it has to be in that order. If I go otherwise it ends up like this:

Scotch: coin: scotch: pizza slice: scotch: coin: coin: coin: posting: coin: regret next morning.
    Higley Copper + venison stew + a tankard of hot flip
  • MJHMJH Posts: 538 ✭✭
    Buffalo Nickel Variety, Venison Chops Wrapped in Bacon, Four year old Cabernet Sauvignon . AH !
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Anything considered "Dreck," a can of sardines, and a bottle of MD 20/20, warm of course.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holey, beat up Darkside coin, McDonald's dollar menu chicken sammich, large Coke.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Where do we go next image >>

Five Guys for some real food. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Seated Liberty Dollar, Lasagne, Jacobs Creek Merlot

<< <i>Holey, beat up Darkside coin, McDonald's dollar menu chicken sammich, large Coke. >>

If you have holey coins, you may as well go with White Castle's holey burgers.

<< <i>Higley Copper + venison stew + a tankard of hot flip >>

I received a PM asking what is hot flip, so...

Flip is a blend of beer, raw eggs, and molasses, usually heated with a fire iron.

18th Century Flip Recipe:

• 3 eggs
    • 3 teaspoons sugar
    • 1 jigger rum
    • 1 jigger brandy
    • 1 red-hot flip iron or poker heated in fireplace
    • tall, all-pewter mug
    • 12-16 ounces of beer

1. In a quart mug break three eggs
    2. Add three teaspoons sugar and stir well
    3. Add in the jigger of rum and the jigger of brandy, beating meanwhile.
    4. Fill remaining volume of mug with beer
    5. Insert red-hot iron until it hisses and foams.
    6. The drink will become only warm.

Flips were originally drunk aboard English ships where mixtures of rum, sugar, and eggs were heated with red-hot iron to create froth ("flipping").
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Holey, beat up Darkside coin, McDonald's dollar menu chicken sammich, large Coke. >>

Why would you buy off of the dollar menu and then buy a large Coke? Be really cheap like me ,get water and then pour one from the 2 liter when you get home. image
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, if you want to be cheap about it........

Penny found on street + free coin auction buffet (which always comes with canned soda)
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    a beat up USAOG $50 slug, pork 'n' beans and some watered down whisky.
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    1897-O Barber Half, Gumbo, Mint Julep.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

• << <i>The first course should be something classic, not too ambitious, not too heavy, but of substantial quality:

Where do we go next image >>

at least you didn't post 'Coin, Wine, and CupCakes' ....I hate that commercial.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Relief St. Gaudens, filet mignon, Opus One '91 ........ Cheers, RickO

<< <i>If you have holey coins, you may as well go with White Castle's holey burgers. >>

I would, but we don't have White Castle's down here in Dixie- at least not in this part of Georgia. I reckon they're all up there in Yankeeland.

'Round here it's Krystal, which is basically the same thing. Little bitty square burgers. Tastly little greasebombs they are, but when we moved out here and I found a Krystals nearby, at the interstate, I OD-ed a couple of times and almost killed my taste for them (not to mention myself). It's only now gettin' round to where I can think about Krystal burgers again.

(Word to the wise- if a little voice tells you to buy a 24-pack of Krystals or White Castles and down them all in the space of three or four hours, don't listen to it- that little voice is not your friend.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Oh yeah-

How 'bout love token Seated dime, ham and cheese omelet at Waffle House with double order hashbrowns (scattered-smothered-covered-chunked, thankyou), and ice tea.

There's the actual menu from the first time I met savoyspecial in person.

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017 11:21AM

Update: The ANS has announced an event "Wine and Coins" on December 17, 2017. The event is listed in the latest ANS Magazine.

@Coinosaurus said:

Will it be held at the Longacre Estate, in accordance with my suggestion 6 years ago?

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

"....And all of the national auction companies are competing for the right to open bidding immediately afterward....." :dizzy:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

$25 palladium coin , smoked turkey and a pitcher of Kool-Aid

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

A nice Draped Bust half dime (or two), steamed clams and lobster, with corn on the cob, done in a fire pit on the beach (I am from Maine, after all), and although I love good dry red wines, I would have to have plenty of Sam Adams Boston Lager to go with the lobster.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it must be wine, make mine very sweet pinkish or white plonk diluted by ice and water, with inexpensive cheese (no pepper cheese) and Ritz crackers, the last three or four issues of "Coin News" (Token Publishing, UK), and 1960s/1970s/1980s pop and folk music from You Tube... lots of plonk and ice...

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crusty coinstar reject, 99 cent Taco Bell bean burrito, Mogen David Concord Grape. Burp.....

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017 1:10PM
    • A common date XF-AU Seated coin of any denomination, with an interesting die crack, or doubling, or whatever, that you don't have the book, documentation, or resource to identify
    • A ham sandwich, with chips, and a pickle
    • A bottle of Bud

That's how I started, and still how I look at coin collecting. You can have your wine. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHalfDime said:
    A nice Draped Bust half dime (or two), steamed clams and lobster, with corn on the cob, done in a fire pit on the beach (I am from Maine, after all), and although I love good dry red wines, I would have to have plenty of Sam Adams Boston Lager to go with the lobster.

WOW! I would sub out more lobster for the clams, and to keep with the thread title, sub out a nice red wine for the Sam Adams, otherwise this is just about perfect!

And for MrHalfDime, although not draped bust, I would include the two half dimes as a 1792 and an 1802.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Susan B. Dollar, Haitian mud pie, and Night Train Express

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017 6:27PM

Hobo Nickel + Boone's Farm , No food

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63 common-date Morgans, wine-in-a-box, and Doritos.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

On this grading fourm, it's more often coins and whine.

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

RichieUrich said:

"WOW! I would sub out more lobster for the clams, and to keep with the thread title, sub out a nice red wine for the Sam Adams, otherwise this is just about perfect!

And for MrHalfDime, although not draped bust, I would include the two half dimes as a 1792 and an 1802."

Since we are letting our imaginations run wild, why not?! But you may be missing a real treat by omitting the steamed clams. It's not a real lobster bake without clams.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin: Gem MS early Walkers.
    Food: Lobster tails with butter and garlic and Filet mignon with a mushroom sherry sauce.
    Drink: Cabernet Sauvignon aged at least 25 years.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    The first course should be something classic, not too ambitious, not too heavy, but of substantial quality:

Where do we go next

Way too heavy for me....I'm thinking trime or colorful half dime

Tom

@tradedollarnut said:

Now this, I get!

Tom

This is actually pretty funny!

Tom

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

Ritz crackers? You peasant!
    You know that you should only serve Carr's Water Biscuits with Brie and gold!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHalfDime said:

Man...I am getting hungry! There's few things better than fresh steamed clams.
    I'm with you on the corn too...and the Sam....dump the wine in the sand...I can't abide it!

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like I need to dress up just to read this thread. ★★★ Michelin stars?

FYI - I just scrolled to the bottom to write this comment ... without dressing up, nor reading it.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

Yup and make that from Patricia Green Cellars...........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

1915 PanPac Octagonal gold, 2012 Larkmead Cabernet Sauvignon and Rogue River Blue cheese.....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file