Home Metal Detecting
Options

Best tactics or equipment for high iron areas

sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
Can anyone help with advice in this area? Thin soils and much iron in the rock make metal detecting difficult here. Any effective way to address this problem with equipment or techniques?

Thanks for any info.
Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    Other than cranking up the discrimination dial i think finding a better spot is your best idea. The problem with discrimination use is it will also cancel out items that would be great finds.If the ground is so bad with iron deposits i dont know if you'll ever get a true reading. I know at one time discriminating for aluminium (ring pulls) meant the machine would also reject gold.Looking at detectorists finds one notices a shortage of gold , other than when lost people try harder to find its also because the machines are canceling it out i think.
    When i go detecting i don't use discrimination at all any more and do seem to find more than before , still no gold though but then again i havnt been detecting in a couple years now.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iron rich ground is a problem.... if it was just junk/scrap, I would suggest dragging a large magnet. But iron ore would be pervasive. Tough situation. Discrimination will lose some better targets... I would find better sites. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i ran into that around here with high iron ore areas. i move on. ( it helps my blood pressure image )
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. I just live in a rocky area full of old iron mines. If I go about 20 miles north, the geology is much more friendly, so I'll give it a try there.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A smaller searchcoil might help a little, for better target separation.

Then again, that would be my strategy for iron trash targets. Iron in the soil (i.e., mineralization), well, that's a different kettle o' fish.

Perhaps some fiddling with the sensitivity?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.