Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Name the Toned Morgan Contest - Prize to the Winner! - Guess the Grade Too - Announced

Now, as some of you know I started a gallery of High-End and Monster Toned Morgans on our website along with an in-depth article on Rainbow Toned Morgans. Doug Kurz has given me permission to include some of his research in my article, with credits, as well. All, in all, it is a very comprehensive article full of pictures and information useful to us guys and gals who love the toning. I'm not gonna put a link but you can find it through my sig-line. For those of you who found it, you notice that I don't mind the cheezyness of naming the coins in the gallery. I have a new addition which I need to name and thought it would be a fun opportunity for you folks to give it a whirl.

So. What name is fitting of this beauty? I pick the winner and they will recieve $50 off their next purchase from Jhon E. Cash. Website in signature line.

Contest ends on Sunday evening at 8PM central time. Please note that if no suitable names are submitted, tough cookies. I'll come up with one on my own.

Tip: Use just the obverse to come up with a name. i.e. I don't want to hear "Purdy Obverse, Fugly Reverse." That name and it's derivatives will not be high on my list.

NGC MS64* CAC

Ok. The contest is over. Here are the submitted names:

Halley's Comet
Armageddon, Outer Limits, Deep Space
Woowzer64
NEON TREE
Lava Lamp, Betty Davis Eyes
AT
Easter Egg, Peter Max
Corona
Fuchsia Rose, Fuchsia Lady in Turquoise Pool
LIME GREEN LIPSTICK POP
Blushing beauty
Tutti Frutti
Violet Femme, Pink Passion
Purple Haze
St. Patrick's Day Massacre
Alcyone
Tropical Fusion
Frism Passion
Ms. Hawaiian Sunset, Pretty in Pink..and green, Aurora Blaze
Northern Lights
Rick O Mite
Aqua, Aquatic Lady
Neon Spectrum
Cosmic Debris
June 3, 1972
Pretty in Pink
Overhead Wonder
beater
Cam E. Lon
Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Medusa
Mirage
Navajo Princess
Electric Ecstasy
Psychedelic Sally
Blazin' Glory

Watermelon Burst - WINNER! - I thought this name was a great description for the coin. All of the entries were great but this really clicked when I looked at the coin. BLee23, PM me and I'll have either a $10 bill or a $50 gift certificate mailed to you. I appreciate your participation and thanks again for the cool name and thanks to those who participated in this thread.

Polar opposites
Angel Baby
Emerald Elegance
FlatTop
Passionate Pink
Azurgenta
Emerald Ruby
Pink Polaris
Sea Numph
Purple People Eater
Tooti-Frooty Popsicle, FLAVE-A-FLAVE Lollipop
Purple Haze, Jimi
Millie Flora
Lady in Red
Andy's Sweet Psychedelic Sherbert Surprise
Scarface
PINK FLOOZY
Lady of the Nite
Fluorescein
Green Goddess
Unparalleled
O Say Can You See, Red, white, and blue, Oil Slick
sub-LIME
The Candy Cane
Purple Passion
Miss Bliss
Kryptonite-63
Aurora Borealis
Lawn Flamingo
VEGAS ROLLER
Mardi Gras Morgan

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Halley's Comet
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay...I'll start with "Armageddon"....was thinking as it looks like quite a nuclear blast of color on that one.

Or the "Outer Limits" as it looks like something from "Deep Space" which could serve as another offering.

I'll guess MS65+.
  • Options
    Woowzer64
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    NEON TREE

65+ ?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lava Lamp

or

Betty Davis Eyes

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>AT >>

Ok. Make me some then. image

Yeah, that's what I thought.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about "Easter Egg" or "Peter Max"? Of course, you may run into some copyright issues with Peter Max, but I think Easter Egg is in the public domain...

MS63
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corona (like from the Sun). 65.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess a 65.

For naming I would pass. I think Brandon has much better coins to spend time naming. This one is nice but doesn't really stand out toning wise to me. Granted I know I dont get as exited over toners as other do.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>I would guess a 65.

For naming I would pass. I think Brandon has much better coins to spend time naming. This one is nice but doesn't really stand out toning wise to me. Granted I know I dont get as exited over toners as other do. >>

Awww. Come on. Throw your hat into the ring just for s&g's. While the toning on this coin is not quite Monster, it is certainly high-end. For an 1884-O, it's simply outstanding. Normally, the velvety luster on O mint Morgans has a dramatically negative effect on the "pop" factor, this coin actually nearly has a cartwheel which is odd for O Mint Morgans. I've passed on Morgans in the $3,000 range that did not have as striking a look as this one.
  • Options

<< <i>

For naming I would pass. I think Brandon has much better coins to spend time naming. This one is nice but doesn't really stand out toning wise to me. Granted I know I dont get as exited over toners as other do. >>

Awww. Come on. Throw your hat into the ring just for s&g's. While the toning on this coin is not quite Monster, it is certainly high-end. For an 1884-O, it's simply outstanding. Normally, the velvety luster on O mint Morgans has a dramatically negative effect on the "pop" factor, this coin actually nearly has a cartwheel which is odd for O Mint Morgans. I've passed on Morgans in the $3,000 range that did not have as striking a look as this one. >>

Ok for S&G's I go......Fuchsia Head. To make it sound better...Fuchsia Rose or Fuchsia Lady in Turquoise Pool

Yes I had to look up how to spell several words in that response....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    LIME GREEN LIPSTICK POP

NGC MS64*
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Blushing beauty

MS65
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tutti Frutti, like the flavor and color of baseball gum. That's what strikes me.
    Lance.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violet Femme or Pink Passion.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purple Haze

MS64
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Awww. Come on. Throw your hat into the ring just for s&g's. While the toning on this coin is not quite Monster, it is certainly high-end. For an 1884-O, it's simply outstanding. Normally, the velvety luster on O mint Morgans has a dramatically negative effect on the "pop" factor, this coin actually nearly has a cartwheel which is odd for O Mint Morgans. I've passed on Morgans in the $3,000 range that did not have as striking a look as this one. >>

Ok for S&G's I go......Fuchsia Head. To make it sound better...Fuchsia Rose or Fuchsia Lady in Turquoise Pool

Yes I had to look up how to spell several works in that response.... >>

Works... words... Turks... turds... image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll add "St. Patrick's Day Massacre" to the list. image

And I'm very glad Todd had to look those words up. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes I had to look up how to spell several works in that response.... >>

Works... words... Turks... turds... image >>

• Options
    Alcyone- the greek goddess of the sea, moon, calm and tranquility
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    That coin has the colors of a drink I once had somewhere in the Caribbean, so I would name it "Tropical Fusion"

For the grade, looks like right around a 64+ / 65 from that pic.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    "Blushing Lady"
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>"Blushing Lady" >>

Oops, I see now that another "Blushing" suggestion is used so I will have to change my suggestion to,
    "Prism Passion" and Grade it as MS62
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

Ms. Hawaiian Sunset

Pretty in Pink...and green

Aurora Blaze

MS64
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with 64 with a star from NGC, and how about..................Northern Lights.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Judging by the pics....MS-62+
    Past BST deals baddogss,llafoe,braddick,wondercoin,fireman2030, ProofCollection, SNMAN,halfnut1
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick O Mite!!!!

64 shot 65.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua,or Aquatic lady 65.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Neon spectrum

Sweet toner! Ms65*
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    Cosmic Debris
    64+
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd call this one "June 3, 1972," man. I saw lots of colors, then had a splitting headache, man.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    A little off topic but I must say I have seen more monster neon toned morgans than all other monster toned denominations combined. So I think they are fairly common compared to monster toners of different denominations, and I don't understand the huge premiums paid for these coins. If you look on ebay at any given time you will see 20 or more amazing toned examples each week for sale, compared to maybe 1 monster toned franklin or washington every few weeks if your lucky.

Just my 2c. Again, a lovely looking morgan you got there!
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Pretty in Pink"

MS65*
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay...I'll start with "Armageddon"....was thinking as it looks like quite a nuclear blast of color on that one.

Or the "Outer Limits" as it looks like something from "Deep Space" which could serve as another offering.

I'll guess MS65+. >>

Here`s the real Armageddon... image

imageimage

I read your Monster Morgan site "poorguy" and i enjoyed the very informative read! Nice info from Doug Kurz as well...I especially liked the info on thin-film interference and the difference with oxidation...Very cool!
    That`s a beauty 84-O and it looks like the name should be "Overhead Wonder" ... image I would say looks ms65*

ABimage
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    63 ..its a beater, the reverse is more believable than the obverse. don't like it sorry.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess 64.

How 'bout "Cam E. Lon" for the coin name for its wide range of color and in honor of your boss.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    How about Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde referring to one side being attractive and one side ugly. As for grade I would guess MS64.
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    Just call it medusa

You look like you are turned to stone for looking at it too long
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I'll call it a 64* and name it "Mirage"
  • Options
    "Navajo princess" due to the turquise color.....
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Electric Ecstasy.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psychedelic Sally MS64*
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blazin' Glory?

As ever,
    Pete

PS. Edited to include a grade guess of MS64+, but with the toning a MS65 wouldn't surprise me.
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    BLee23BLee23 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    "Watermelon Burst" - Green on the outside, Pink on the inside.

Oh, and I'll go MS64, and a beauty.
    Successful BST Transactions: sinin1, Kryptonitecomics, seemyauction, RyGuy, cucamongacoin, holeinone1972, Ciccio, sbeverly, Gerard, Topstuf, Downtown1974, CaptHenway, PerryHall, Barndog, LukeMarshall, Cent1225, commoncents05, Soldi, SurfinxHI
  • Options
    terrym280terrym280 Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Somewhere under the Rainbow! MS-64.
    Successful BST Transactions with several members.
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭
    Emerald City
    (from the Wizard of Oz)

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options

<< <i>63 ..its a beater, the reverse is more believable than the obverse. don't like it sorry. >>

Soooo. Following your logic. If a coin is beautifully toned, it must be artificial?
    Using that premise, we would have to assume that doctors are attempting to make colors like this.
    Then we ask ourselves why doctors would try to produce these colors.
    The only logical answer is because that is how they occur naturally on beautifully toned Morgans. Why would they mimic unnatural colors? Duh.
    Coins don't tone naturally the way doctors AT coins. Doctors AT coins in an attempt to "mimic" naturally toned colors.
    So, using the above logic, we also have to assume that beautiful and naturally toned Morgans exist since the doctors try to mimic their colors and progression.

Sure, there are beautiful and unnatural toners out there but VERY easy to point out and easier to avoid once you arm yourself with experience and knowledge.

Now, if monstrously beautiful Morgans were pedigreed to collections from 10, 15, 25, and 30 years ago, would you think they are still AT? Many, if not almost all of the Monsters have pedigrees of owners going back that far. Also, if there are coin doctors out there that produce monsters, why the hell aren't there more out there? I might get a bead on one every 3-6 months, if that, and only because I know who has them. Why do the same ones keep circulating around the advanced collectors of Toned Morgans? Wouldn't there be a seemingly unlimited supply of Monsters out there?

Now, I have seen the crap on eBay that some might call "beautifully toned". However, in the past 3 years, I have only seen 2 Monsters on eBay and maybe 5 high-end Morgans, and I bought them. I know because I LOOK. I gotta get to them before anybody else does. Don't confuse "nicely toned" or "rainbow" with "high-end rainbow" and "Monster" Morgans. There are a bunch of marginally nice coins on the bay but rarely does a high-end toner, or even more rarely, a monster, come out of hiding there.

Not trying to come down hard on you but if you can make an allusion to the point that you believe the coin is AT, then I can offer a rebuttal and argue your logic. All friends here. image
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>63 ..its a beater, the reverse is more believable than the obverse. don't like it sorry. >>

Soooo. Following your logic. If a coin is beautifully toned, it must be artificial?
    Using that premise, we would have to assume that doctors are attempting to make colors like this.
    The only logical answer is because that is how they occur naturally on beautifully toned Morgans. Why would they mimic unnatural colors? Duh.
    Coins don't tone naturally the way doctors AT coins. Doctors AT coins in an attempt to "mimic" naturally toned colors.
    So, using the above logic, we also have to assume that beautiful and naturally toned Morgans exist since the doctors try to mimic their colors and progression.

Sure, there are beautiful and unnatural toners out there but VERY easy to point out and easier to avoid once you arm yourself with experience and knowledge.

Now, if monstrously beautiful Morgans were pedigreed to collections from 10, 15, 25, and 30 years ago, would you think they are still AT? Many, if not almost all of the Monsters have pedigrees of owners going back that far. Also, if there are coin doctors out there that produce monsters, why the hell aren't there more out there? I might get a bead on one every 3-6 months, if that, and only because I know who has them. Why do the same ones keep circulating around the advanced collectors of Toned Morgans? Wouldn't there be a seemingly unlimited supply of Monsters out there?

Now, I have seen the crap on eBay that some might call "beautifully toned". However, in the past 3 years, I have only seen 2 Monsters on eBay and maybe 5 high-end Morgans, and I bought them. I know because I LOOK. I gotta get to them before anybody else does. Don't confuse "nicely toned" or "rainbow" with "high-end rainbow" and "Monster" Morgans. There are a bunch of marginally nice coins on the bay but rarely does a high-end toner, or even more rarely, a monster, come out of hiding there.

Not trying to come down hard on you but if you can make an allusion to the point that you believe the coin is AT, then I can offer a rebuttal and argue your logic. All friends here. image >>

Enough with the speeches..........Just tell me what I've won. image
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Not trying to come down hard on you but if you can make an allusion to the point that you believe the coin is AT, then I can offer a rebuttal and argue your logic. All friends here. image >>

63...it is a beater to many marks for me for a common date coin, also I said the rev. looks more believable, the obverse photo looks unnatural....whats the word everybody likes to use....oh JUICED....that's all.
    if you like it that all that counts...sorry.
    Matt.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file