Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I found a gold coin on the ground today! Pictures added, a real 1856 California $1/4 gold coin.

At work, I went out for a smoke break and was kicking some dirt by a waste water filter trap that leads outside as the company processes flame retardant and HACCP type garments along with some military stuff. Anyways I thought to myself that looks like a California gold piece, LOL, thinking it was a brass tack I decided to pick it up so it wouldn't get into a tire. Sure enough it was 1/4 dollar 1855 octagonal gold piece in AU-53-58. I was blown away and thought it was surely a brass fake, nope, gold and looked original! I have actually seen many fakes and real coins over the years in my friends coin shop and am 90% sure this is the real deal. I left it at the office in my desk as I was in a hurry but will take a picture tomorrow at work or when I get home to get the boards consensus. Regardless I am sure it is gold, so at the least I have a 1/2 gram or so of gold at $1430/oz. I will also be removing the lid from the trap to see if there is more of a stolen collection that washed out!

Edit: It is real, I grade it AU-50-53, see page 2-3 for series of pictures.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Sweet image
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool!
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    Awesome! Awaiting pics.
  • Options
    Score! Right place at the right time.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    nice...image
    figglehorn
  • Options
    RWRW Posts: 485
    That beats the penny I didn't pick up today in the Home Depot parking lot.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found a few suckers. image
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a show once, I was helping clean and pack up cases, cords, and lights. All the dealers and customers were gone. On the floor I found a US quarter eagle, common date (1929), in a small ziploc bag. No indication where it came from. I thought for sure it was a bb'ed coin and the dealer missed the trash when throwing it away. But it looked good to me. I kept it a while, even showed it to ANACS at a show (who thought it questionable).

One day, I decided to do something with it. I sent it in to PCGS and lo and behold, it came back AU58!
  • Options
    I just found a few suckers.

I know I am new here, long time lurker. I assure you I found it as stated. If it is a fake then the board can decide, but it is still gold!
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I found a dollar on the floor at walmart yesterday, then I went to a small store to buy the new york
    post on the way home. I paid with a 20 and got back $18 bucks in change (i noticed this once at home)

the universe reclaimed its buck so quick my head spun image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    My pool cleaner brought me a $2.50 gold indian said he found it around the pool. Nobody said they lost one I ask,Been tipping that guy ever since, good to see the honesty in people isn`t dead. That was my first gold coin now I need a 12 step program.
  • Options
    I'll remind you tomorrow to show us all a pic.
    Dont get me wrong I think its a great find but I'm sure all of us will want to see it here on the board.
    Congrats!!
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    I will post it tomorrow, if it is a fake, and a blatant one at........ that remember I am not an expert on these so we will enjoy its realness or it's gold content, I hope! I have seen a ton of fakes and they are garbage, this isn't one of those.
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Alot of jewelry was made with those .. who's to say it didn't come out of a bezel or something .. it's all possible .
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The chances of finding a fractional gold coin....
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    HotfootspinHotfootspin Posts: 430 ✭✭
    whoa
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lookin forward to the pics...
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm skeptical.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    I think April has come early this year. but I will wait for pictures .
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Were any vacuums harmed in the process?
  • Options
    Pictures, or it didn't happen......
  • Options
    What's the odds?image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Tex... what an awesome find.. hope it is authentic. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for a chance at the giveaway.
    Lance.
  • Options
    I have 2 minutes before I leave the office, shot 2 quick pictures with my blackberry. The coin is more of a golden yellow in hand. There are 2 small rust spots on the obverse as it actually has 2 small metal shavings laying on top rusting as it came from the waste water overflow. Will get intel qx3 pics when I get home tonight. To satisfy the dogsimage

Again, if it is fake, don't beat on me too bad, but it seems to high quality to be one of the fakes. Again more of a yellow in person as the BB didn't use its flash.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut feeling is......genuine.
    However, I would like to see better pictures.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Texas, gold has a peculiar odor and taste, how's yours smell and taste?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats tex. i hope that works out really well for ya image best wishes
  • Options
    Its tough to tell from the pics but I'll say its genuine.
    But what do I knowimage
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Wow, it does actually look genuine, pending better images. I was expecting one of the 7.6 billion souvenir "gold" charms that plague the market.

You've piqued my interest!
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I would go back with a metal detector and do the entire area. Do you know what was in the area many years ago?
  • Options
    Here are better pictures from the QX3, the finger prints and hairlines were cause by me, remember I thought it was a tack and rubber the dirt and gravel off with my thumb, it also has 2 small surface rust stains as there were some metal savings laying on top of it. Remember it is an industrial wash facility dealing in industrial uniforms and such, so very dirty water and metal is common.

Clackmas, it was in the parking lot, laying right next to a waste water over flow plate. I did go back out today and move the dirt around nothng, tomorrow we are going to open the lid and see what is inside. So it probably was in a pocket, came out in the wash, was small enough to go through the holes in the washer and pushed through the pipes by high pressure water!

Oh the scratch on the reverse isn't really a scratch, the light comes off it weird under the microscope.

• Options
    Oh and it is an 1856, not sure why I though it was a 55 last night. The story is as true as they come!

Edit: I would like to return it, but I don't know how long it has been out there and we process 500,000 shirts and pants per week. No way to know. I do find pistols, switchblades, military comm. unit, money and drugs in the washout trap and we pull every uniform and try to track down the rightful owners of the stuff or for drugs we call the police or MP's. So I guess finders keepers on this one, but I may sell it and donate the proceeds to the VA or another Vet fund of choosing.
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Unreal. While there is a chance to could be a fake of some sort, the dies appear to match B-G 111. Rarity-3, so it's s common one, but I'd guess finding one in a storm drain is probably a R-7 occurrence!

It should weigh about .25 grams and measure 9.6 to 9.8 mm.

Well done!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhhhh...wasn't the "DOLLAR" only written as "DOL." on these fractionals?

I don't do these as a collector, I have a couple of genuine fractionals, but there were many makers of these.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Here is the Mic measurements- 9.68 mm

I don't know Wooden Jefferson, this is my first find or buy, seen many but never owned one.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Just think of all the Garbage Pail Kid cards you can buy now.

Good for you.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ahhhhh...wasn't the "DOLLAR" only written as "DOL." on these fractionals? >>

No. Some have DOLLAR spelled out. This coin looks real from the pics.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

Where did this happen? In Texas?
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Yep, the plant I found it at is in San Antonio
  • Options
    Just think of all the Garbage Pail Kid cards you can buy now.

I know right! I can get a PSA 10 puking patty or adam bomb!image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, the plant I found it at is in San Antonio >>

Wow...there was lots of activity in and around San Antonio following the fall of the Alamo, sounds reasonable. Well, at least we know it was not Davy Crockett's pocket piece, he was laid to rest in 1836.

Cool find!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Great story and even better find.
  • Options
    Okay, best pics I could get? Any idea as to value, about to 2x2 it and be done for now. Excitement is over, a very cool story to tell my kids someday. I know I put some scratches in it when I rubbed off the dirt and put it in my pocket as it was PL when I picked it up and probably someones MS or high AU coin that was most likely stolenimage I wonder how long it was out there? Anyone know the gold content purity of these? If is was indeed MS and laid on top of dirt for the most part in warm, dry S. Texas would it have progressed quickly or not so much as pure gold does not tarnish correct?

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Hey Texas,

Take this from a fellow Texan ...

WTG!!!

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You also suck from West Texas.

I liked Lord Marcovan's picture of the tornado. Looks like the scenery in the part of Texas I live in.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess would be that it fell off someone's bracelet, or was lost from a collection somehow. It would have been lost fairly recently. It would be a real leap to think that this was an actual circulation loss from the period.

I think it's a $200 coin.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Real Deal, BG (Breen Gillio) #111, same obv. die as the 110, I'm showing Rarity-4 from Mike Locke's notes, he is usually a little more accurate on the rarity scale by experience. That basically means there are fewer than 200 of these known in all grades. There should be a small die break at the top point of Liberty's crown. There are also 8 die states to this particular coin. If it shows clashed dies, it is a very rare die variety.

Very cool find !!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I can see the die clash in the photos - check out the wreath tie sticking out of Ms. Liberty's head on the right side.

Cool coin by the way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file