Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are these mint medals ?

Can anyone tell me if these are mint medals and if so when were they made. I just purchased a small lot of so called dollars and these were included. I know nothing about these except for the fact the smaller one had wriiten on it washington/lincoln #3 variety $125.00 and the larger one rare $200.00

thanks for any input

Ken
If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    those were produced over a large span of years, it would be difficult to pinpoint a date but i will say that they look like later editions.........keets or airplanenut might know more...

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, those are US Mint medals. They were made "recently", meaning in the last 50 years or so. They can't be dated more precisely. The originals were produced in the 1880s and have very different surfaces and coloring.
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

Thatimage

makes sense as the lot of so called dollars were from the early 60s for the most part .. beautiful shape with many in their original packaging..

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some of them are kinda neat looking image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pieces in the first post are modern mint medals that were produced probably sometimes in the second part of the 20th century, although it's hard to pinpoint that. They have the "yellow bronze" look, and are not worth very much.

The Lincoln piece that jfoot13 posted is not a mint medal. It is a 1961 creation that combined an original Lincoln die used, in 1861 with a reverse die made in the modern era. I don't know much about the Kansas piece he posted except to say that it was not struck at the U.S. mint to my knowledge.

Here is an example of the Jackson medalet that was shown earlier that was struck probably in the 1830s or '40s. It was issued to celebrate his second inauguration in 1833.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file