Home U.S. Coin Forum

One week and counting for the parties to the Langbord lawsuit to file all of their pretrial document

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
The current deadline for filing motions to exclude evidence, witness lists, exhibit lists, trial briefs and other assorted documents is 3-7-2011.

Quite an information bonanza will be made public when these documents are filed and available for public viewing.

Is it next Monday yetimage

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checked the case docket and discovered that a new attorney working in office where Barry Berke works is being added to the case and will be representing the Langbord family.
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop, SanctionII.

Whenever I hear about this case, my mood shifts from anger that we are wasting so many precious tax dollars on a case that revolves around a digit on a gold coin, and my curiousity in seeing what is being dug up about mint operations during the 1930's.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict the deadline will be postponed. In fact, that pretty much seems like the most likely outcome of any legal action in this case.
  • stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there is any estimate of how much money the Langbord family has spent on attorney fees and how much more they will have put out? If they win the case do they have any chance of recouping their expenses?
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
    Coinosaurus:

I do not think a postponement will occur. Once a trial date is set by the court and a schedule established for the filing of pretrial documents, the courts are usually reluctant to continue/postpone the trial date and filing deadlines. Since this case is over 4 years old, I suspect that court will want to get it over with.

If any postponement does take place, I bet it is not more than one or two weeks.

I'll wager you a cup of coffee or a cold one that there is no postponementimage
    Tomorrow is the deadline for filing multiple pretrial documents. The actual documents may not show up on line until Tuesday.

It is my understanding that the documents to be filed will reveal the names of additional experts retained by both sides and the topics the new experts will provide expert opinion on. It is my understanding that depositions of some or all new experts have already been taken. It is also my understanding that the Langbords will be filing multiple pretrial motions.

Should be interesting to read the new filings.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the popcorn icon??????
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whenever I hear about this case, my mood shifts from anger that we are wasting so many precious tax dollars on a case that revolves around a digit on a gold coin, and my curiousity in seeing what is being dug up about mint operations during the 1930's. >>

What a waste of taxpayer dollars! With all the important things they should be doing the government is worrying about mice nuts instead of doing it's job. For us coin collectors at least we like the coin related history that it might bring out but the public that pays for this get's nothing from it.

Ed
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>

<< <i>Whenever I hear about this case, my mood shifts from anger that we are wasting so many precious tax dollars on a case that revolves around a digit on a gold coin, and my curiousity in seeing what is being dug up about mint operations during the 1930's. >>

What a waste of taxpayer dollars! With all the important things they should be doing the government is worrying about mice nuts instead of doing it's job. For us coin collectors at least we like the coin related history that it might bring out but the public that pays for this get's nothing from it. >>

The Government believes the law was broken, and therefore must pursue it. It would be a very bad thing for a Government to turn a blind eye to what they feel is a law violation. That is the start of corruption. Who would decide what laws to enforce and what ones not to enforce? It is frustrating, but it is a necessary thing we must endure to have a fair and lawful society.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I don't think it is a waste of government time or money.A $30+ million tax "issue" should be addressed by the government.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should get interesting now. I have considered that at this point, the government might actually concede - I know, probably not, however, unless they come up with some really convincing information, the case would appear (at this time) to be leaning in favor of the Langbords. Cheers, RickO
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be nice to see this come near it's end. Both sides refuse to file early and tip thier hand to the other first.

I will be looking for the update tomorrow. Thanks for the updates!
    Sorry to tell you all this, but I am not going to be able to look at the new filings for a while.

Tomorrow morning I start jury selection in a case I am handling. I am going to be tied up with a trial this week and will probably not have time to do more than just glance at the new filings.

Of course, I invite any of you with interest and time on your hands to check out the new filings yourself; and if you want to post a thread about them.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for keeping us in the loop, SanctionII.

Whenever I hear about this case, my mood shifts from anger that we are wasting so many precious tax dollars on a case that revolves around a digit on a gold coin, and my curiousity in seeing what is being dug up about mint operations during the 1930's. >>

Your point about the tax dollars really is something that is a must to correct in our legal system.
    Millions upon millions of dollars are being wasted to determine whether a couple of gold coins actually belong to the government or an individual family. That money instead could be used to pay teachers, do needed repairs in construction or help pay other important costs.

Instead we have this fight.

If the langbords win, they sell the coins and make a couple of million, pay their taxes and the government makes something.

if the government wins, they classify the coins as should never have existed and they get melted down and the Fed makes their $1430X10 on gold.

Taxes on $1,000,000 even at 2% is more than the weight in gold.

SO the fed is fighting for $14,300 and wasting millions trying to do it, instead of not getting involved and collecting hundreds of thousands in taxes.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Below are summaries of the last three filings in the case. I would be surprised if the various deadlines are not continued. Normally, even a judge who wants to hurry will slow things down when the various counsel changes significantly as here.

01/19/2011 143 FIRST AMENDED SCHEDULING ORDER THAT PARTIES SHALL COMPLETE ALL EXPERT DISCOVERY BY 3/7/2011. PLAINTIFF'S PRETRIAL MEMO DUE BY 3/7/2011. DEFENDANT'S PRETRIAL MEMO DUE BY 3/7/2011. PRETRIAL MOTIONS DUE BY 3/7/2011. THIS MATTER IS PLACED IN THE COURT'S READY POOL, COMMENCING 3/21/2011. COUNSEL SHALL BE PREPARED TO PROCEED TO TRIAL UPON 48 HOURS NOTICE. IF TRIAL IN THIS MATTER HAS NOT YET OCCURRED, SUCH TRIAL SHALL COMMENCE ON 7/7/2011 AT 9:00 A.M. IN COURTROOM 6A, ETC. SIGNED BY HONORABLE LEGROME D. DAVIS ON 1/19/11. 1/20/11 ENTERED AND COPIES MAILED AND E-MAILED.(kw, ) (Entered: 01/20/2011)

02/24/2011 144 APPLICATION for admission of ROBIN M. WILCOX, ESQ. to appear pro hac vice, Statement, Certificate of Service, filed by PLFFS DAVID LANGBORD, JOAN LANGBORD, ROY LANGBORD (filing fee paid on 2/24/11)(kw, ) (Entered: 02/25/2011)

02/25/2011 145 ORDER THAT THE MOTION IS GRANTED AND THAT ROBIN M. WILCOX IS ADMITTED PRO HAC VICE FOR THE PURPOSE OF REPRESENTING ROY, JOAN AND DAVID LANGBORD.. SIGNED BY HONORABLE LEGROME D. DAVIS ON 2/25/2011. 2/28/2011 ENTERED AND COPIES MAILED AND E-MAILED.(lbs, ) (Entered: 02/28/2011)

<< <i>Sorry to tell you all this, but I am not going to be able to look at the new filings for a while.

Tomorrow morning I start jury selection in a case I am handling. I am going to be tied up with a trial this week and will probably not have time to do more than just glance at the new filings.

Of course, I invite any of you with interest and time on your hands to check out the new filings yourself; and if you want to post a thread about them. >>

Do you have a link we can go to to look at the (not yet translated into English by a fine gentleman such as yourself) postings???

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't thought of the tax angle...so if the government wins, the coins are destroyed or go to the Smithsonian. If the government loses and the coins are worth $15Mn, the lawyers get $5Mn, the Langbords get $10Mn and then the Government gets $5Mn in taxes from the other two. So the Government is actually better off if they lose.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
    Logic has nothing to do with the government's treatment of 1933 Saints over the past 67 years. This has been a vendetta.
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the minority, but I don't fault the government for pursuing this at all. I don't think they don't get to pick and choose whether to uphold the law or not. The coins were obtained illegally. If the government fails to pursue them, wouldn't it be setting precedent? So a few authentic '64 Peace dollars come to market, all obtained illegally--no worries?

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins were obtained illegally

That hasn't been proven.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Logic has nothing to do with the government's treatment of 1933 Saints over the past 67 years. This has been a vendetta. >>

Remember the government isn't some big faceless mass. These are actual people inside the Justice Deparment, who, for a couple generations now, have been taking this case way seriously. To me one of those most interesting questions here is getting at & figureing out the personal motivation of this very small group of people. A guy like Izzy Switt, that is easy to figure out. Very transparent. The feds, not so much. Tom says its an illogical vendetta. I agree it sure looks that way from the outside. You get inside, you will find very intelligent people who are very good at rationalizing their behavior. It would be a helluva story if you could get it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file