Home Precious Metals
Options

i decided to put my 10 oz silver bars in ziplock bags anyone think thats good idea

maybe bubble wrapp also

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have small 2"X 3" polyethylene ziplock bags that I put my 5 & 10 oz bars. Most are already scuffed up from handling and I don't want to add anymore marks or scuffs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I have taken all my silver eagles, and their capsules, out of their boxes and put them in locktite plastic bags (each bag holds 60) and put them

in my safe deposit box at the bank.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have small 2"X 3" polyethylene ziplock bags that I put my 5 & 10 oz bars. Most are already scuffed up from handling and I don't want to add anymore marks or scuffs. >>

Same here...however. since I buy my bars directly from the "source" APMEX, Scottsdale etc...they are not scuffed but in some cases PL. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Depends. Do you lick the bag to help keep it closed? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have small 2"X 3" polyethylene ziplock bags that I put my 5 & 10 oz bars. Most are already scuffed up from handling and I don't want to add anymore marks or scuffs. >>

Same here...however. since I buy my bars directly from the "source" APMEX, Scottsdale etc...they are not scuffed but in some cases PL. image >>

I have many newer bars that are sealed in plastic and in like new condition but I was talking about the old poured bars which I really like. Finding one that hasn't been scuffed up can be a real challenge. They were just so much bullion and they were tossed around without any concern for their condition.

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    sorry guys but I must be old school....I like to take my silver out and fondle it image
  • Options

<< <i>Depends. Do you lick the bag to help keep it closed? image >>

LOL Betcha Tom remembers when 4 fingers was $40 too.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Depends. Do you lick the bag to help keep it closed? image >>

LOL Betcha Tom remembers when 4 fingers was $40 too. >>

Actually I remember........( I better shut up before this gets out of hand image )

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    toned, white, wrapped or scuffed.....

Who cares, Silver bars are sold for its weight, not for its beauty.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>toned, white, wrapped or scuffed.....

Who cares, Silver bars are sold for its weight, not for its beauty. >>

Not always true. Some of the early bars carry a modest premium and some of us like to collect the early bars. Also, when a dealer has two bars in his disply case---one dented, scratched, scuffed etc and one like new---guess which one he will sell to a customer looking to buy a single bar.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about a map to your burying spot.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>toned, white, wrapped or scuffed.....

Who cares, Silver bars are sold for its weight, not for its beauty. >>

Not always true. Some of the early bars carry a modest premium and some of us like to collect the early bars. Also, when a dealer has two bars in his disply case---one dented, scratched, scuffed etc and one like new---guess which one he will sell to a customer looking to buy a single bar. >>

My contacts don't give a rat's behind if the bar is scratched or not.

I will agree with you that some very early bars carry a premium, but I don't think the OP was referring to these.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get yourself a heat-sealing machine (with cutting slidebar) and a tubular roll of 4 mil polyethylene stock. There is no chloride in LDPE and it is soft enough to avoid causing any abrasion in direct contact with silver or copper. I sealed my Fidelitrade Pucks in some of this and they take up much less space in addition to being protected. I sometimes made slab protecting sleeves with this stuff as well.

I've had one for 15 years, and I use it for many things, but mostly coin-related stuff. The nice thing is that once you have a good heat-seal, that seal isn't coming apart until you cut it. Great tensile strength if you don't want the bag coming apart at the seams.

Bag Sealer
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.