Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Coin Sniffer question

I was wondering if the coin sniffer that PCGS is said to be using would detect a coin "conditioner" or preservative. I'm lucky enough to have some of the original coin "CARE". This is the old time stuff that really does a wonderful job on copper. Would this, or any product that doesn't really change the surface of the coin, be a substance that would red flag the coin and have it end up a in genuine holder?

Comments

• Options
    It's a "conditioner?" I'll answer, only your hairdresser knows for sure. image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    My guess would be yes, since it probably leaves a residue on the coin.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>My guess would be yes, since it probably leaves a residue on the coin. >>

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blue ribbon is a subance tested for so I'm guessing it will be detected!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I think the bigger question is, "If you feel you need a chemical analysis on a coin before you can figure out whether or not you can appreciate it, do you think you need to find a different hobby?"
  • Options

<< <i>It's a "conditioner?" I'll answer, only your hairdresser knows for sure. image >>

Or Brylcreme - "A little dab will do ya!"
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you put the conditioner only on the hair and the curls become enhanced will that improve the grade?
    It's just a question image
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>If you put the conditioner only on the hair and the curls become enhanced will that improve the grade? >>

Hey, quit giving them ideas! image
  • Options
    Coin 'conditioner' for preservation is a bit of a slippery slope (no pun intended). Lacquer was also intended as a 'preserative'. Sometimes chemicals can have unintended consequences. I have seen some 'conditioners' that make coins look downright greasy - such as the old time stuff from HARCO. Harold Cohen (Har Co) when he was still alive, demonstrated the product on some Lincoln cents and (in my opinion) made them look unnaturally shiny.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was wondering if the coin sniffer that PCGS is said to be using would detect a coin "conditioner" or preservative. I'm lucky enough to have some of the original coin "CARE". This is the old time stuff that really does a wonderful job on copper. Would this, or any product that doesn't really change the surface of the coin, be a substance that would red flag the coin and have it end up a in genuine holder? >>

You beat me to that question.

With all due respect to PCGS, I have to disagree with PCGS for not grading a coin just because it has BR or Care.

The problem is this. Let's just say the coin is really dirty and grimy. You hit it with some Xylol and about three Q-tips on each side. When you do this, you leave a copper coin bone dry. If it stays like that, it is going to corrode and rot.

By PROPERLY appling BR or Care, you are PRESERVING or restoring the coin. There's a way to do it, and all I am going to tell you is that it takes patience.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you put the conditioner only on the hair and the curls become enhanced will that improve the grade?
    It's just a question image >>

• Options
    There are questions in our great hobby which will never be answered:

AT .vs. NT

Slabbed .vs. Raw

Conserved .vs. Doctored

Cleaned .vs. Original

There are no definitive answers. It just comes down to the individual collector and the marketplace. KNOWLEDGE comes in to help a collector make an informed decision. To the extent the PCGS Sniffer (or any other technology) helps to provide that knowledge, I am all for it.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue Ribbon is explicitly mentioned on the Sniffer list. I don't remember if CoinCare was too but I suspect the two are much alike.

I agree with halfcentman.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file