Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold coins vs bars - opinions??

I'm new to PM, and have noticed a preference on the forum for fractional AGE's and such over the 5 and 10 gram Pamp bars. Why? isn't gold=gold. Why pay the premium? What am I missing here?

Cheers,

Bob

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold coins tend to be a little more liquid than bars.

Maybe because most gold coins are made by goverments and most bars are made by private companies.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Demand and resell are much greater for AGE's than bars. This is a coin collectors website too!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    The gold eagles are coins and a lot of folks collect them. Plus, they feature St. Gaudens' classic and beautiful design. Personally, I think they are well worth the premium!

-PF
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which is easier to counterfeit? Go with the other one.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    A gold bar with assay cert will hold value as will a pcgs graded gaudin. Just depends what your preference is.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A gold bar with assay cert will hold value as will a pcgs graded gaudin. Just depends what your preference is. >>

Try a experiment see which one you get better offer on at BM.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention, as for me personally and others have mentioned, many of us prefer our coins in the old standard weights and not metric. I like my PMs to say 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz, etc. I know some bars do but I also like how 1/4 ouncers fit into quarter size plastic tubes and 1/10 ouncers in dime tubes.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    gold coins like maple leafs, philharmonics, kruggerrands, and american gold eagles are highly desired and should be your main choice. HOWEVER sometimes its fun to have a little diversity and get something like a bar or two. Having all of one thing can be boring image

I left out gold pandas because there are many chinese counterfeits........obviously if you are careful pandas may be a good too.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input fellas.

I had to check these AGE's out so I picked one up today on my lunch hour (1/10th). Ya, kinda cool. Also grabbed a few silver rounds and a few decent 90% dollars.

So, I have a proposition if anyone is interested.

I'd like to trade a 5 gram perfect Pamp bar in a card for one 1/10 AGE and either 2 ASE's or 3 1oz silver bars. Anyone wanna help add to my just started AGE stack, and grab a bar for themselves?

Cheers,

Bob