Home U.S. Coin Forum

i was wondering if toning is really worth is kinda premium???

http://cgi.ebay.com/1957d-NGC-MS66BN-Spectacular-Gem-Rainbow-Toned-Lincoln-/320660486952?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4aa8dabb28

null

this is a 20 dollar coin other wise at best and common so i was just wondering is this the norm for toning copper prices??

Comments

• It's worth it to the guy who bought it, apparently.

If you're thinking there's a premium that everybody will agree on, I'm thinking you're going to be disappointed. image
  • Wild toning so it should go higher than the norm. Not a very good strike though. I would not pay that.
  • im not into toning im just wondering if this is the norm for this kinda thing thats all
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller has a very good reputation and a fairly strong buyer base so that price may not represent the middle of the curve.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Don't be hating...

It was my coin, very unique toning for copper, but without the toning it is still a low pop coin: 28/4
    "It is what it is."
    actually the coin came from the same set as my avatar jefferson.
    "It is what it is."
  • Moon money?? It left me scratching my head.image
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • im not hating just asking a question if thats what toned coins go for
    thats all
    dont know nothing about toned coins

<< <i>im not hating just asking a question if thats what toned coins go for
    thats all
    dont know nothing about toned coins >>

I was being sarcastic. The price it sold for isn't the norm, just a nice piece and obviously there were at least two bidders that really wanted it.
    "It is what it is."
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>im not hating just asking a question if thats what toned coins go for
    thats all
    dont know nothing about toned coins >>

Toned coins, in general, no. But that looks to be exceptional color, and coins boasting such color often bring very strong premiums.
  • That is a bogus coin in my opinion, looks like it has been nuked.
    not an expert,just well informed.

<< <i>That is a bogus coin in my opinion, looks like it has been nuked. >>

It looks like natural and beautiful mint set toning.
  • will congrats on the sale and thanks for the info i find it very interesting

thanks
  • ..I bet it would have brought even more if in a PCGS holder
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer to the OP's question is obvious. Yes...............that's what it sold for. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is apparently a market for such coins. Personally, the coin does nothing for me.
    All glory is fleeting.

• << <i>Don't be hating...

It was my coin, very unique toning for copper, but without the toning it is still a low pop coin: 28/4 >>

I watched that coin and it sold for more than you thought it would image. Its a very nice coin and they are tough coins in MS66 or higher. Im praying mine goes 1 point higher ;P
  • Not my cup of tea, but congratulations to the buyer, seller and consignor. As has been pointed out, the underlying coin is a high grade. And, apparently the toning was enough to get the attention of very motivated bidders.
  • the auction started at 99 cents with 11 different bidders, plugging 35 bids including the last seconds snipe by a first time bidder on the auction.

the coin is surely very attractive and I would like to own it at a lower price.

If this was a BIN at $300, I would have agreed with you - but since a true auction, clearly a few people feel this beauty is worth it to them
  • I'd pay that for it in a PCGS holder
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does nothing for me. Wouldn't pay $10 for it. But obviously others disagree.
    Lance.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>http://cgi.ebay.com/1957d-NGC-MS66BN-Spectacular-Gem-Rainbow-Toned-Lincoln-/320660486952?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4aa8dabb28

null

this is a 20 dollar coin other wise at best and common so i was just wondering is this the norm for toning copper prices?? >>

Only three folks really wanted the coin which IMO is not a general slice of the collecting community. Two of the bidders ran the price up out of their own ignorance while the winning bidder no doubt just slammed a huge amount down. Given enough hype literally anything can go in this direction.

As pointed out previously, that particular seller does have a following of folks that like their toned pieces and they've convinced themselves that the color is where the money is at.

I don't personally think so but thats just me.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be interested even at $300 less.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is a bogus coin in my opinion, looks like it has been nuked. >>

It looks like natural and beautiful mint set toning. >>

Having had more than a few of the double mint sets myself, I agree. The toning is natural for being in the original double mint set from that era.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a common date only if the strike, condition and eye appeal are average for the date. A collector who has seen a few of these and has a knack for recognizing EDS strikes, than such a coin would be far from being common. For the serious collector who will be taking a closer look at this coin, will know where it stands!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>im not into toning im just wondering if this is the norm for this kinda thing thats all >>

if your not into toning (i thought you were since your icon pic is a toned Lincoln....my bad) then you would not understand... image for "toner heads" like me the answer is Yes there are of us that would pay that kind of money. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... just wow. Cheers, RickO
  • I have a raw cent with a similar look, but don't care for it.
    For that kind of scratch, I might have to give this greattoning guy a call.

BST: Gerard Tdec1000 Scrapman1077 Dropdaflag SeaEagleCoins cucamongacoin whatsup 49thStateofMind ajia DoubleEagle59 johngerman funbunch jnd1955 ACactions PCcoins ArizonaJack feeter277 dsessom JBdimes emteeuu savoyspecial greencopper ....

<< <i>

<< <i>http://cgi.ebay.com/1957d-NGC-MS66BN-Spectacular-Gem-Rainbow-Toned-Lincoln-/320660486952?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4aa8dabb28

null

this is a 20 dollar coin other wise at best and common so i was just wondering is this the norm for toning copper prices?? >>

Only three folks really wanted the coin which IMO is not a general slice of the collecting community. Two of the bidders ran the price up out of their own ignorance while the winning bidder no doubt just slammed a huge amount down. Given enough hype literally anything can go in this direction.

As pointed out previously, that particular seller does have a following of folks that like their toned pieces and they've convinced themselves that the color is where the money is at.

I don't personally think so but thats just me. >>

The fact that you don't happen to think "that the color is where the money is at" doesn't necessarily lead to something else you posted. Namely, that "Two of the bidders ran the price up out of their own ignorance while the winning bidder no doubt just slammed a huge amount down". You have no idea whether the bidders are ignorant or extremely well informed.
    This coin wasn't from a double mint set, rather an aftermarket mint set with the black insert.

"It is what it is."

• << <i>

<< <i>im not into toning im just wondering if this is the norm for this kinda thing thats all >>

if your not into toning (i thought you were since your icon pic is a toned Lincoln....my bad) then you would not understand... image for "toner heads" like me the answer is Yes there are of us that would pay that kind of money. image >>

i dont know how to change it yet i just read not post but i was just wondering thats all i have rolls of stuff and just never new that color brought that or really any kinda money
    its good to know

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file