Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm afraid to pay a premium for toning, but I'll pay a premium for technical grades...

The coins we're collecting now will be held for at least 11 years. I'm afraid if I pay a premium for toning, that when my children sell their coins, the toning market will be out and the blast market will be in... is anyone else afraid of the toned coin market? I have no issue paying a premium for technical grades... clean, sharp, attractive NT rim toning, etc.
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not afraid to pay what I consider to be a fair price for a coin I like. And yes, I really like it when the technical grade matches the price.
  • Options
    I'm am afraid of toning and technical grade. A perusal of auction price histories will show how much money can be lost by buying better numismatic coins. I really love buying coins anyway. image
  • Options

<< <i>The coins we're collecting now will be held for at least 11 years. I'm afraid if I pay a premium for toning, that when my children sell their coins, the toning market will be out and the blast market will be in... is anyone else afraid of the toned coin market? I have no issue paying a premium for technical grades... clean, sharp, attractive NT rim toning, etc. >>

And what makes you think the currently assigned (technical) grade will be etched in stone any more than the current appreciation for toning?
  • Options
    As always collect, what you like (and can afford) and enjoy the hobby. Don't worry too much about resale. Do form an educated opinion about current market value, and perhaps some of the history for prices on that coin. If you like a coin, pay the going rate, or a bit above or a bit below, and let the chips fall. No one knows what is going to go up in value, or down in value. There are a lot of opinions, but in any kind of guessing game at least half will be wrong, some of the most logical sounding and educated guessers will be very wrong.

No one can be sure about holding periods because the best of plans go haywire. Accidents (and disasters) happen. I say: put hobby money into coins, necessity money elsewhere, with an exception for dealers because that is their livelihood.

If the kids that inherit any coins are impatient, they may dump them to a shyster for 10 cents on the dollar anyway, so don't fuss too much about what you can't control. If it is hobby money, "who cares?" If a person spent it all on other hobbies such as fishing, or golf, or racing cars, or bikes, or spent it living a good life on fancy meals out, or fancy clothes, that money would be mostly gone. Again, live a little and don't worry so much about resale or the coin market values 11 years out or more.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    If you do not know a great deal about toned coins, stay away from them. Like any endeavor, its easy when you know how...but very dangerous when you don't.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

<< <i>The coins we're collecting now will be held for at least 11 years. I'm afraid if I pay a premium for toning, that when my children sell their coins, the toning market will be out and the blast market will be in... is anyone else afraid of the toned coin market? I have no issue paying a premium for technical grades... clean, sharp, attractive NT rim toning, etc. >>

I try to make it a point to never forget that every 20 years or so there's a new generation of collectors out there who are just coming into their own and learning for the first time what I'm sure I forgot 20 years or so ago about how and what to appreciate in coins. That is to say, if you think this market for toning is just a generational fad, I think you're kidding yourself.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, RedTiger brings logic and sanity to the discussion. Thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advise from Red Tiger...Toned, not toned, technical, what ever...Buy the ones you and your family enjoy...

ABimage
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I think everyone here agrees there are no guarantees to be found in coins, but common sense can take you a long way. I, for instance, share your suspicions about toning. Yes, toning can look nice, even beautiful. OTOH, it also seems akin to saying 'Well, we can no longer find enough attractive original coins, so let's all agree to redefine 'ugly' as 'attractive' and build a market with that!" I know, I know. I'm going to bring the wrath of toner collectors down on my head for that. My apologies in advance!

That said, it seems like independent thought works out best for most people, i.e. finding a series that really interests you, but one that ALSO has solid fundamentals such as low mintage, high quality, great eye appeal, etc... I don't know enough about Classics to say much, but I will say that the Mint has been dishing out plenty of great modern issues that fulfill all these requirements in the last five years.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    obviously, no one knows the market... i think attractive is attractive and will always have value.. will it be the peak of the market at that time? who knows... if not, it's all cyclical...

to piggyback what Gritsman said... i was thinking about posting separately this but i think it fits into the same thought process of this thread...

for arguments sake, with the threat of AT coins in holders and blast white coins likely being dipped at some point (depending on the series.. esp. 1800s silver)... will the more desireable coins be those that are dark and crusty (dare I say unappealling)? i mean, they've obviously not been ATed and they haven't been dipped either... at what point does the average collector move towards obvious originality over color and brightness?

buy what you like... let your kids help in the decision making process (i think i remember you saying you are putting together type sets for your kids... i'm assuming these are the coins you are buying right now and referring to in this thread) since you've said before they are into coins... it'll be a more personal set that way...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file