Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Developments

I just posted a blog on all the new things we have introduced already in 2011.

It represents a staggering amount of work and gives you a glimse at the pace we are on.

We hope that the efforts we are making are benefiting you.

Enjoy - PCGS Developments - First 60 days of 2011

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KOOL !!!
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding commitment. Thanks Don
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I can't wait until you announce: "To Celebrate 25 Years at PCGS, ALL submissions during the week of 28 Feb 11 - 4 Mar 11 are FREE, regardless of service level or quantity!" image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are some of the reasons why I like and continue to support you guys. image
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for pointing out the new developments Don.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    This:

"* We announced that all edge anomalies on Presidential Dollars as well as Native American dollars would be recognized as errors not varieties. New Registry sets were created that include these error designations."

Appears to conflict with this:

- January 20, 2011
    Please follow these guidelines to ensure your submission is processed in a timely manner:

o Missing Edge Lettering coins must be submitted under the Regular service level or higher
    o Additional $24 Variety Attribution fee is required to recognize the mint error
    o For additional submission guidelines, please click here.

The top is a $50 submission level whereas the bottom is a $55 submission level (Regular = $30 + Variety attribution of $24)

I suspect that the submission level should be "Modern" (at $14) + Variety Attribtution (at $24) for a total of $38.

At the very minimum, the wording is confusing.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I briefly got excited about the submission form changes, thinking that finally maybe raw coins and crossovers in the same tier could be combined on the same form.

Oh, well. Maybe someday.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business practices/policies must evolve or stagnation will set in. Good moves. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wish all the submission charges would be simplified.

Greatly simplified, such as

any coin under $5000 value, place in flip along with $20 bill

any coin over $5000 value, place in flip along with $50 bill.

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear about the submission streamlining to one form. Many times I have started to put together an order and after thinking about filling out the forms and boxing everything up to the Postal Service specs, I put it off. Anything than makes the submittal process less complicated is a good thing as far as I am concerned. HM
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff! I cant wait until you start using edgeview holders for all coins, and start slabbing large medals.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don, I have seen a Morgan Dollar Mint Error (Partial Collar Strike) in a PCGS edgeview holder that sold through a Teletrade auction in 2008, and I know the present owner of the coin. I have yet to see this holder option openly offered on submission forms, or anywhere on the website. What does it take to get a confirmation that the option does exist? I ask as I have several Mint Error Morgans of the same nature (edge abnormality) that are in standard PCGS holders, which are useless for the indicated Mint Error feature on the insert.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Good job Don, we appreciate all your hard work on this stuff.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do go with the NGC look alike holder, which I hope you don't, I hope it is optional as I don't like them at all!
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A significant counterfeit protection feature was added to Certification Lookup. Now when you look up a cert. number the system will provide links to any auction in our database of almost 2 million records where the coin has sold as well as any Registry set it is part of. Since most of these links contain photos of the coin we believe it will greatly help potential buyers who are uncertain if the coin being offered is genuine. >>

This. And the more this can be extended the better.
  • Options
    "...A significant counterfeit protection feature was added to Certification Lookup. Now when you look up a cert. number the system will provide links to any auction in our database of almost 2 million records where the coin has sold as well as any Registry set it is part of. Since most of these links contain photos of the coin we believe it will greatly help potential buyers who are uncertain if the coin being offered is genuine..."

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I really liked the following two tidbits. I think both are GREAT new developments that bring value to the market as well as members!

* A significant counterfeit protection feature was added to Certification Lookup. Now when you look up a cert. number the system will provide links to any auction in our database of almost 2 million records where the coin has sold as well as any Registry set it is part of. Since most of these links contain photos of the coin we believe it will greatly help potential buyers who are uncertain if the coin being offered is genuine.

* We eliminated the multiple submission forms of old and replaced them with a single form that can handle all of your submissions. The new forms are online. If you need new forms see us at a show or contact Customer Service.

Thanks for the update, Don...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. I must have missed this somewhere along the line: "An updated Million Dollar Coin Club was issued with revised valuations and a few new additions. The new report is available for free on our website."

Can someone post a link?

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>Great stuff! I cant wait until you start using edgeview holders for all coins, and start slabbing large medals. >>

I agree 100% about the edgeview holders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file