Home Metal Detecting
Options

I've been meaning to show this

Here is a heavy bronze key I found some years ago, and I haven't the slightest idea what it goes to.

"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a neat key.... I think it fits my back door image. It is neat though. If you are selling it, let me know, I collect old keys. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Never seen one like that. I dug a huge clock key last week. Might post it now after seeing yours.
  • Options
    I can't imagine this going to a clock. It's 4 5/16 " Long and 1 7/8 " at the loop and the barrel portion is 17/32" D. and it's on the "light side" of 6 ozs.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a way huge key. i have no idea what it would go to. hopefully will find out one day image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a neat key.... I think it fits my back door image. Cheers, RickO >>

imageimageimage

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Hey Ron... it might fit... old door... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dont suppose your town has a locksmith?
  • Options
    hey laser i think this is an old railroad key.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool key. I'd have guessed furniture, but perhaps it's a bit big for that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ever it opened must have been on the bigger side. I like the stair steps that unlocked the tumbler.
  • Options
    WOW..I'd really hate to have to carry a ring full of those...Neat find!
  • Options
    wow. that is a HUGE key
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    A key used for a Prisoner's Leg Shackles ?

A key to a Large Railroad "Strong Box" ?
    Try to find a forum for key collectors..

• Options
    nice find ! it might very well be the key to the lobstah pound down theyah neeah the samoset....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Hi,
    I believe it is some type of presentation key.
    Possibly the key to the city.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I tried looking at a few collectors websites but got discouraged. One site offered keys for sale and for a mere $95 an hour they would actually search thru boxes of keys that may fit the description you were looking for.

There are some great ideas here what the key could have been gone to, thanks guys.