Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

would I have better luck cracking this out?

Would love to get this in a PCGS holder for my registry set- sent it in for a
cross over - with a minimum grade of red unc . only - was sent back
for questionable color probably because their hands were tied not being
able to remove it from it's holder- thoughts on cracking it and sending it in raw.
I can't argue with the 62 - were notorius for soft strikes and the carbon spot on
reverse doesn't help
imageimage
palmer

Comments

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I like my copper..............BROWN! image
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    this will be brown someday - just hope I'm not around to see it
    palmer
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    IMO - RB or Genuine - Artificial Color.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO - RB or Genuine - Artificial Color. >>

Which is it? RB or AT? image Pick a side!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not crack it out. I might try it a couple times in the holder and if still no sucess then sell it and find another one already in a PCGS holder. If you crack it and it comes back genuine, you're screwed.

Edited to add: The color does kind of look funny to me, but maybe it's the pic.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    with only 21 graded red already in a PCGS holder and probably
    some of those were resummitted ---- it could be quite a
    while before I see another one
    palmer
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Looks NCS'ed to me.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>IMO - RB or Genuine - Artificial Color. >>

Which is it? RB or AT? image Pick a side!! >>

Definitely RB... the color looks artificial, but it may be the photo... if it's not the photo, then AT - Is that better? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Hi,

I am with Darktone I think. In any event - the color as shown in the posted images seems a little worrisome.

Best,
    Eric

Edited to add - there seems a tiny touch of "that pink" in that red as shown.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you know better than PCGS I'd leave it be. It's not like they can't see the edge or are trying to make a determination of grade by potentially hidden marks or hairlines. One would think that their opinion on color (or AT/NT) would not change much if it were cracked out.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Keep it as is. If you make a little,Cool, if you loose a little, move on.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Don't crack it unless you're willing to risk a gennie for the possibility of getting it in a RB PCGS slab.

Ed
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The color on the image looks fine to be, but I don't like that eye-catching carbon or PVC spot on the reverse. I think the coin was net graded because of it. I would not crack out any RD copper and send it to PCGS under any circumstances.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it an enjoy it.

If it must be in PCGS plastic then sell it and look further.

DO NOT crack it out. You will likely end up with a genuine and regret it.

FWIW, the spot on the reverse is trivial and doesn't bother me a bit, any more than the smaller one on the obverse at 12:30. But the color, if correct, is worrisome.
    Lance.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't crack it unless you're willing to risk a gennie for the possibility of getting it in a RB PCGS slab.

image >>

Or even a Details upon resubmission to NGC.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As has been said many times here, if you want a coin in a certain brand of slab, buy it that brand of slab and don't play the cross over game---save yourself the expense and grief.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Would love to get this in a PCGS holder for my registry set >>

I'd leave it right where it's at. It's nicely-struck and very tradable at that grade. Sell it and get another one, if that's your goal.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with many of the posted comments. Don't waste money trying to cross that coin at grade. The 62 grade did not result from the reverse spot alone, and the strike is fine.
    My guess is the the luster isn't all there (especially regarding the obverse). Based on what I see on my monitor, the coin may have been recolored.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    I think the coin looks OK for the grade and the color designation. Generally speaking, Braided Hair coinage is not held to quite the same standards as more modern coinage, for purposes of receiving the"RD" designation.

Either way, I bet if the coin were in a PCGS holder, posters wouldn't be questioning it the way they are now.
  • Options

<< <i>Either way, I bet if the coin were in a PCGS holder, posters wouldn't be questioning it the way they are now. >>

I wouldn't bet against you on that. image
  • Options
    The reason I ask is I also have the 51, 55 and 57 all in PCGS holders all red and the look nearly identical
    to the 54 . there is more luster to the 54 than shows in the picture, but based on your comments
    I think I will keep it where it is and continue to search. I have a 54 in ms-64 red brown PCGS and
    that strike is not as defined as the MS-62 from NGC- thanks for the comments
    palmer
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I like both the grade and the color designation. You might want to try it again in a few months.
    If the coin comes back with the same comment, just accept that the fates are against you. In
    200 years the coin probably will be RB at best, so enjoy it while you can.
  • Options
    update - spent many a night comparing this coin to my other red - braided hair half cents - and took the plunge ( and the metal cutters) to its NGC prison and sent it in to PCGS - just was notified of the results *****MS-63 RED in a secure plus holder - Yes, I know the red is no longer a guarantee , but if it hasn't had any recent changes ( eg. cleaning) and the PCSG sniffer didn't detect a problem - then the red color will probably out last me.
    palmer
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great cross. Congrats.image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Keep it an enjoy it.

FWIW, the spot on the reverse is trivial and doesn't bother me a bit, any more than the smaller one on the obverse at 12:30. But the color, if correct, is worrisome.
    Lance. >>

Exactly what Lance said above. If you want/need it in PCGS plastic, then get one that you like already in PCGS plastic and sell that.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Keep it an enjoy it.

Lance. >>

Exactly what Lance said above. If you want/need it in PCGS plastic, then get one that you like already in PCGS plastic and sell that. >>

...Must have missed the OP's update. image It went in raw to our host, and not only got a RED designation, but it UPGRADED! As Charley Sheen said: "WINNER!"

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG rxer! LOVE it and well played. Sticking to ones guns is becoming a lost art form. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You rolled the dice... and won. Congrats! image

I never would've taken the chance you just did, but was gonna say the red looked OK to me. I've seen other 1850s RD coins in both PCGS and NGC plastic that had that color.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an added bonus, you managed to get Coinguy1 back on page one !
  • Options
    Nice upgrade, I personally would not have done it. That takes stones or knowledge. If that was a Lincoln, even a 14-D or 26-S I could make the call.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file