Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A little early, but who here is planning on going to the Whitman Expo in Baltimore in March?

I just received word from my personal valet that the Whitman Expo in Baltimore is March 31st to April 3rd. Unfortunately, I have jury duty on March 31st, but assuming that I don't get picked, perhaps a quick jaunt down to Baltimore is in the offing on April 1st.

Who here is planning on attending? My colleagues in Beijing reported to me that several slow boats have pushed off yesterday from the port of Tianjin, with manifests filed for a Baltimore destination, no doubt with the latest Whitman titles in the cargo hold. image
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    I will be there from Wed. through Saturday. I can't wait for this show--its been a very long winter.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I am planning on attending, unless I am tied up with work.

Will Sir Longacre be taking the Gulfstream?
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Repeat after me... "Your Honor, my Mafioso brother is waiting for me outside with my drug dealer. Will this take long?" That should take care of your jury duty commitment! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking I may ease on down to check it out
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always plan to go, it's the only big show in reasonable driving range, but I usually don't end up actually going. image

Wear a suit, tell them you always do your best to support the Justice system, you come from a long line of police officers and DEA agents. The defense attorney will sprain his arm raising it so fast to strike you from the case. In my area this works every time.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most definitely. Will have a corner table, not sure the number, as table numbers list hasn't been posted yet.

Edited to add: Table #1504, a corner table near the auction lot viewing area.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    I should be there as always, might even bring my newborn boy. To bad HA.com times their auction to take some of the steam out of my buying power for the big show but yet I will not have the coins in hand. The coming auction looks to be one of the better ones in some time.
  • Options
    Thursday and Friday. Looking forward to it.

merse

• Options
    Shrub68Shrub68 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there sharing a table with Dennis King. Stop by and say "Hello". Jim Bush
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I will be there at my table during the entire show. Please stop by and say hello.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be setup adjacent to the Whitman booth signing copies of "Secret History of the First U.S. Mint." My co-author will also be in attendance, a rare opportunity to get copies signed by both authors at once.

Also on display will be a variety of artwork, ephemera, and tokens and medals related to the book.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be setup adjacent to the Whitman booth signing copies of "Secret History of the First U.S. Mint." My co-author will also be in attendance, a rare opportunity to get copies signed by both authors at once.

Also on display will be a variety of artwork, ephemera, and tokens and medals related to the book. >>

If it's a secret

How do you know about it!?!?

I'll probably make myself visible.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I will be there sharing a table Thursday and Friday. I will not be there Saturday this time.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Todd and I will again be setting up together, Todd doing on-site photography, and me, well, doing what I do best - selling pretty copper and hopefully doing another photographic show report. I very much look forward to seeing all the usual "suspects" and meeting new forumites as well!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinosaurus, I really enjoyed the book. I was able to get one of the handful that were distributed at the FUN show, although not with any autographs. Good luck with sales.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    For those attending from out-of-town, make your reservations early. The show is sandwiched between a couple of decent sized conventions and rooms and flights for the show date are priced higher than the normally high prices.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never miss it. Can't wait!

Needless to say, anyone who loves the Balto show PLEASE check out this thread and make the calls, emails, etc.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=807148
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    SLQSLQ Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Friday and Saturday for me. Can't wait....
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    Wed.-Sat for me
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there on Fri.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not this time around image ( finanaces )
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Sadly, Dentuck didn't invite me....image ....something about too many footnotes and people tripping on them... image
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sadly, Dentuck didn't invite me....image ....something about too many footnotes and people tripping on them... image >>

Your footnotes have footnotes!

I won't be in Baltimore this time around, either. But I encourage everyone who goes to stop by the Whitman Publishing booth and get RWB's Guide Book of Peace Dollars, and also visit the numismatic book dealers for his groundbreaking Renaissance of American Coinage books.

• Options
    image They're "organic" footnotes, so sometimes they just grow.....
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    i'll be there
    Jake Blackman
    blackman.jake@gmail.com
    704-719-6866
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sadly, Dentuck didn't invite me....image ....something about too many footnotes and people tripping on them... image >>

Your footnotes have footnotes!
    >>

This is what's called "gratuitous footnoting" in academic circles.

It's a fine line. Some writers assume the reader has a lot of knowledge already and doesn't need footnotes.

On the other hand, if you've located original sources, you want to record that for the next researcher looking at the same subject.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup!

Tom

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there Friday...possibly Thursday too.
  • Options
    I will be there from opening day through Saturday at my usual table #211. Stop, and say hello. Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins. www.djwcoin.com
    dalias13@hotmail.com
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I am there Thursday Morning for 1 1/2 days
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Hoping to go if I can get clearance from the women of the house! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After Weds. night auction session I'll be walking the floor making ridiculous counter-offers to my friends. She Who Shall Not Be Named will be getting a massage or two.

How about a thread on the price and quality of food at the various coin show convention centers. At this particular venue the Caesar salad with chicken (quite edible) is not a bad value and is much lower in warmed-over butterfat than the pizza.

Even though commodity values have been on the rise, bottled water is still only 3 bucks.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>I just received word from my personal valet that the Whitman Expo in Baltimore is March 31st to April 3rd. Unfortunately, I have jury duty on March 31st, but assuming that I don't get picked, perhaps a quick jaunt down to Baltimore is in the offing on April 1st.

Who here is planning on attending? My colleagues in Beijing reported to me that several slow boats have pushed off yesterday from the port of Tianjin, with manifests filed for a Baltimore destination, no doubt with the latest Whitman titles in the cargo hold. image >>

Can't you just pay someone to take it for you?image

I'll be there all day Friday!!
  • Options
    "gratuitous footnoting"

I thought that was with cheese sauce as in "au gratuitous potatoes"
  • Options
    May beimage
    Past BST deals baddogss,llafoe,braddick,wondercoin,fireman2030, ProofCollection, SNMAN,halfnut1
  • Options

<< <i>"gratuitous footnoting"

I thought that was with cheese sauce as in "au gratuitous potatoes" >>

Footnotes with melted cheese on top. Mmmmmm image
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    We will be there for the duration at Table #304, from where the just-ironed CRO banner will figuratively hit you in the face the moment you walk in the door.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance for good weather?

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there Friday & Saturday.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    New table location for me.... 1556..... EMRC US Coins
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there. Table 353.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Table 956. Stop by and say hi.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After Weds. night auction session I'll be walking the floor making ridiculous counter-offers to my friends. She Who Shall Not Be Named will be getting a massage or two. >>

Might the nameless "she" perhaps be one who loves pennies - and wine - as well as back massages? image
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there. I'll be the tawl guy.

Are we having a meet n greet this time around?
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there in my usual spot on Americana Alley (CRO, Terranova, HLRC, and myself, a murderer's row of early American stuff). Plenty of newps will be making the trip -- there's been nothing else to do this winter but buy stuff!

Also, I'll have a special gift for ANA members if you come by ... but you've gotta be an ANA member!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file