Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA WFOM not to offer tours in Chicago 2011

2»

Comments

• Options
    GregLGregL Posts: 470

<< <i>I think your ideas of a four city rotation would be great. How about (west to east) San Fran, Las Vegas, Chicago, Charlotte. Lets pretend that we can decide! >>

The only problem with this concept is that many cities require organizations hosting conventions to guarantee a certain number of hotel nights as part of a convention center contract. With the advent of internet booking sites, hotels have the ability to undercut "official convention rates". In 2008 in Baltimore, I got one of the "official hotels" on Priceline for 1/3rd the convention rate.

The Rosemont hotels do not require the hotel room guarantee. On the other hand, I have heard the ANA is on the hook in Philadelphia (2012) for over $100k in hotel rooms which may not be sold.

So while regional diversity is good in practice, in reality it is more complicated.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think your ideas of a four city rotation would be great. How about (west to east) San Fran, Las Vegas, Chicago, Charlotte. Lets pretend that we can decide! >>

The only problem with this concept is that many cities require organizations hosting conventions to guarantee a certain number of hotel nights as part of a convention center contract. With the advent of internet booking sites, hotels have the ability to undercut "official convention rates". In 2008 in Baltimore, I got one of the "official hotels" on Priceline for 1/3rd the convention rate.

The Rosemont hotels do not require the hotel room guarantee. On the other hand, I have heard the ANA is on the hook in Philadelphia (2012) for over $100k in hotel rooms which may not be sold.

So while regional diversity is good in practice, in reality it is more complicated.

Greg >>

I dont think it helps get people to stay in the host hotels when there is very limited food nearby. I have booked my 8 nights and think the show will be great, but am I am not excited about the dining options.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So while regional diversity is good in practice, in reality it is more complicated. >>

Your ANA dollars at work folks. Elect a child and get child-like thinking.
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    I have visited the Chicago area three times in my life and was very pleased with the city and the folks every time. My last visit was at the 2000 ANA in Rosemont. I spent three days at the show and two days sightseeing. The ANA Convention was actually very exciting and I visited with many smaller dealers who never attend west coast shows.

The city itself was vibrant, especially on Michigan Ave, and especially at night. I stopped by the Marshall Fields and found an unexpected treasure, a coin department!

My family used to live in the Suburbs of Chicago, Wheaton, Claredon Hills and Elmhurst, so I rented a car and visited and toured all the old homes that my father used to live in the 1920's and 1930's. My last stop was at the address of the house in Wheaton. I was taking a picture of the home to show my brother, and the owner of the house drove up. Expecting a nasty "get out of here", after an initial hello, I was shocked to be invited in to take an inside tour of the home. A real Midwestern welcome and a visit I will never forget. I stopped by Wheaton College and the old train station that my father had talked about.

I decided to take a drive down Devon Street from the NW corner of Chicago to downtown. It was Friday night. I saw all the folks out and about, standing, talking, and having a good night out. I must have driven through five ethic neighoborhoods, all with the folks in their evening attire. I love the old brownstone homes.

So, I took away from that visit a very nice experience a great coin show, and especially the nice midwestern welcome.

TRUTH
  • Options

<< <i>I dont think it helps get people to stay in the host hotels when there is very limited food nearby. I have booked my 8 nights and think the show will be great, but am I am not excited about the dining options. >>

I completely agree with you. Rosemont is not -- in my opinion -- the best venue for collectors. Dealers and other professionals, who can deduct meal costs don't have the same concerns. My hope is that the ANA can find additional cities that do not have the hotel night requirements to provide some rotation for the summer conventions. I will be pushing for that over the next two years.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a recurring complaint regarding the Rosemont show (other than Wei's general disdain for the Midwest) is lack of local dining options, will there be a guide recommending areas or neighborhoods that are easy to find with good selections of restaurants that aren't "expense account" restaurants? While a 30-60 minute train ride into the city might be worth the trip once or twice during the week, many people would probably like a rundown of other, more local areas that have a concentration of restaurants, such as:

Norridge (Cumberland & Lawrence)
    Downtown Park Ridge (Touhy & 14)
    Downtown Des Plaines (River Rd & 14)
    Edison Park (14 between Touhy & Devon)

None of these areas is more than 15 minutes from the convention center, with Norridge being the closest at about 5.
  • Options

<< <i>As a recurring complaint regarding the Rosemont show (other than Wei's general disdain for the Midwest) is lack of local dining options, will there be a guide recommending areas or neighborhoods that are easy to find with good selections of restaurants that aren't "expense account" restaurants? >>

The "Chicago Visitors Guide" in the June issue of The Numismatist has a listing of restaurants in the Rosemont area. The most affordable ones in the area seem to be on West Higgins Road. Which appears to be a bit of a trek without a car.

Based on the presentation to the Board in Sacramento, this guide will be used in future years as well. If there are specific suggestions you'd like to see added, I would definitely pass them on to ANA HQ.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So while regional diversity is good in practice, in reality it is more complicated. >>

Your ANA dollars at work folks. Elect a child and get child-like thinking. >>

If this is a jab at me, I'd like to point out I was not on the Board which approved the contracts putting the ANA at the potential liability it faces in Philadelphia.

Rather than putting the organization in a position to lose significant amounts of money on unnecessary expenses, I'd much prefer to spend the money on our educational programs and benefits to members. Far too much money has been wasted over the five years in areas (legal fees) that provided no benefits to members whatsoever.

If you have another suggestion regarding convention locations, I'm definitely open to hearing it.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I dont think it helps get people to stay in the host hotels when there is very limited food nearby. I have booked my 8 nights and think the show will be great, but am I am not excited about the dining options. >>

I completely agree with you. Rosemont is not -- in my opinion -- the best venue for collectors. Dealers and other professionals, who can deduct meal costs don't have the same concerns. My hope is that the ANA can find additional cities that do not have the hotel night requirements to provide some rotation for the summer conventions. I will be pushing for that over the next two years.

Greg >>

A bigger concern to me is just being able to eat. I searched coffee for that area and the only hits were the hotels. I dont see any breakfast options outside the hotels. When dealers are there for the entire day breakfast is a nice option to have. I am guessing after this show I will look for options away from Rosemont to stay.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>A bigger concern to me is just being able to eat. I searched coffee for that area and the only hits were the hotels. I dont see any breakfast options outside the hotels. When dealers are there for the entire day breakfast is a nice option to have. I am guessing after this show I will look for options away from Rosemont to stay. >>

Be careful with that idea. I believe parking at the convention center is around $13/day.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A bigger concern to me is just being able to eat. I searched coffee for that area and the only hits were the hotels. I dont see any breakfast options outside the hotels. When dealers are there for the entire day breakfast is a nice option to have. I am guessing after this show I will look for options away from Rosemont to stay. >>

Be careful with that idea. I believe parking at the convention center is around $13/day. >>

I think it would be worth it unless the area is much better than I am seeing via my searches. The cheaper food costs would probably net out the parking.
  • Options
    This thread is worthless without pictures.....image I find it quite amusing that those who have not truly experienced the cultures, geography, and true offerings of what each and every place in our glorious United States holds are so quick to pass judgment on certain cities and states within our glorified union. Keep these posts coming as they are much like the reality TV shows, they do not hold much truth to what the reality really is. image
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "Chicago Visitors Guide" in the June issue of The Numismatist has a listing of restaurants in the Rosemont area. The most affordable ones in the area seem to be on West Higgins Road. Which appears to be a bit of a trek without a car.

Based on the presentation to the Board in Sacramento, this guide will be used in future years as well. If there are specific suggestions you'd like to see added, I would definitely pass them on to ANA HQ. >>

I'll have to dig this guide out and take a look. I won't have many specific suggestions about the areas I mentioned, as I live farther northwest of there (ask me where to eat at the CSNS shows in Schaumburg). Just wanted to point out that there are areas with what looks like good dining potential that aren't too far afield, but you'd probably never know it by simply asking the info people at the convention center or hotel who will want to send you to Morton's, Gibson's, and the Capital Grille.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "Chicago Visitors Guide" in the June issue of The Numismatist has a listing of restaurants in the Rosemont area. The most affordable ones in the area seem to be on West Higgins Road. Which appears to be a bit of a trek without a car. >>

Yup. And that puts you into a parking expense every day. Rosemont is not walkable, it is like Vegas where the taxis queue up outside every hotel.

Even if you have a car, it is still a very long walk from the convention floor to the parking lot - ten minute walk easy.

I'll still be there every day......and complaining about it.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Chicago is a great town, IMO, and the IOC is hardly an authority on anything.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Perhaps the Rosemont civil authorities should have triage units set up just outside of the convention center to offer critical care to all of the coin dealers and collectors found malnourished, starving and passed out from fatigue from walking in a hapless search of food.

It may also not be a bad idea to have trained medical personnel in attendance on the main bourse floor randomly checking the blood sugar levels of the weak and elderly to ensure no one passes out from lack of basic nutrition and falls face first through one of their glass showcases. image
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Apparently the ANA and the International Olympic Committee have one thing in common...both agree there's nothing in the Chicago area worth spending time to enjoy.

I know a large part of middle America share an affinity for Chicago, a place they consider to be the world's largest, greatest and proudest representation of a classic true all-American city. But for the rest of the world and for the people from the urban coasts of the U.S., Chicago doesn't carry much more appeal other than for being a slightly cleaner, marginally more cultured supersized version of Cleveland. >>

That's a rather insulting post. Are you quite sure you are in fact the official spokesperson for the urban coasts as well as the entire rest of the world? >>

I agree very insulting
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I received a message from the ANA and there will be a 52 passenger bus to take participants from Rosemont to downtown Chicago each day, probably during the WFM, 8/16-9, 7-11pm. This is being sponsored by Harlan J. Berk.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I received a message from the ANA and there will be a 52 passenger bus to take participants from Rosemont to downtown Chicago each day, probably during the WFM, 8/16-9, 7-11pm. This is being sponsored by Harlan J. Berk. >>

That's sweet. Talk coins, forget about the driving. Nice going Harlan J. Berk!
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I received a message from the ANA and there will be a 52 passenger bus to take participants from Rosemont to downtown Chicago each day, probably during the WFM, 8/16-9, 7-11pm. This is being sponsored by Harlan J. Berk. >>

That's sweet. Talk coins, forget about the driving. Nice going Harlan J. Berk! >>

I heard they were thinking of this and think it is a great move!!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice of them to do so.

Of course, it just highlights the fact that Rosemont has problems.

OK, I have complained about this enough. I will try to have a better attitude. Let's just do this convention and have a good time!
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course, it just highlights the fact that Rosemont has problems. >>

You mean that it's too inexpensive? Perhaps it's too easy to get to from O'Hare?
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file