Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA WFOM not to offer tours in Chicago 2011

Just found out the ANA will not be offering signup tours (as is usually done) at the Chicago Worlds Fair Of Money (WFOM).

They will be providing info on tours instead, to contract on your own. No Baseball game bummer!

Great City , great sites to see, makes it harder/ costlier to plan seeing it. No benefit of group rates on tours.

The ANA is a changing.

Krueger

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Apparently the ANA and the International Olympic Committee have one thing in common...both agree there's nothing in the Chicago area worth spending time to enjoy.

I know a large part of middle America share an affinity for Chicago, a place they consider to be the world's largest, greatest and proudest representation of a classic true all-American city. But for the rest of the world and for the people from the urban coasts of the U.S., Chicago doesn't carry much more appeal other than for being a slightly cleaner, marginally more cultured supersized version of Cleveland.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>Apparently the ANA and the International Olympic Committee have one thing in common...both agree there's nothing in the Chicago area worth spending time to enjoy.

I know a large part of middle America share an affinity for Chicago, a place they consider to be the world's largest, greatest and proudest representation of a classic true all-American city. But for the rest of the world and for the people from the urban coasts of the U.S., Chicago doesn't carry much more appeal other than for being a slightly cleaner, marginally more cultured supersized version of Cleveland. >>

That's a rather insulting post. Are you quite sure you are in fact the official spokesperson for the urban coasts as well as the entire rest of the world?
  • Options

<< <i>That's a rather insulting post. Are you quite sure you are in fact the official spokesperson for the urban coasts as well as the entire rest of the world? >>

Must be a Cubs fan. He's just jealous of Cleveland's success in the World Series. It's okay, a century of misery can happen to any baseball club. It's too bad the Michael Jordan Bulls bandwagon is long gone.

Of course I don't speak for the world but let's use a real life example. In the IOC 2009 vote for the 2016 summer Olympic host city, Chicago came in dead last and was the first city eliminated (when everybody in this country thought winning was guaranteed), losing two two cities that didn't even want to host the 2016 games despite scoring satisfactory to excellent marks in all categories of evaluation. That says a lot about the world's sentiments for Chicago.

O'Hare International is the second busiest airport in the world but the percentage of O/D passengers is less than 15%. Actually it's closer to 10%.

Sure Chicago is a lot more exciting than all the other large cities in the middle of the country but the ultimate vacation destination of the Americas it is not.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a rather insulting post. Are you quite sure you are in fact the official spokesperson for the urban coasts as well as the entire rest of the world? >>

Ignore him. He's still upset that the only San Francisco ANA show in the last 50 years came about by accident.
  • Options
    Man, I love reading what you guys write...

Wei is indeed correct in many ways. Chicago is a terrible city for a coin show, unless you leave Rosemont. Downtown is too far to go if you're attending the convention unless you want to waste a day, and there's truly nothing to do near the show unless you enjoy concrete and suburbia.

I think that the ANA members can deal with Chicago for one year out of every 5 or 10, but having it there multiple years will likely damage the most important coin show of the year and discourage the casual show attenders from outside of the Chicagoland area.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Wei - Every true American refrains from making comments on cities and peoples of their nation. It's patriotism and nationalism that keeps America strong. Sure, we joke about accents, sports teams, customs, etc., but we don't put down the people and their differences in a less than comical manner. Isolationism builds walls and starts wars. Your comments were offensive to Chicago, the Midwest and any true American.

I've been to 70 different countries... I would NEVER insult the people of Afghanistan. I may be critical of their leadership, but not the people. Do 1% of the people make 100% of the people bad? I've been to all 50 States... I celebrate each State for a different reason.

The next time there's a national emergency in San Francisco, we'll be sure to pull all the Midwesterners out of the response team since you're so offended by them. Any monies they donate will be given to Cleveland. image We'll be sure to reroute all your flights away from the Midwest... no more Chicago, Altanta, etc. visits for you... from now on you can choose to fly over Mexico or Canada when you fly from Coast-to-Coast. image I hope you enjoy the two Coasts of America since that appears to be all you recognize as the Onceunited States of America.

Edited to add: You can tell the true character of a person... if one argues the attributes of "X", they're a positive person... on the otherhand, if someone always feels compelled to put down "X", they're a negative person. If one wants to feel good about themselves, it's always best to put everyone else down! If San Francisco is the BEST place for a coin show... argue the benefits of San Francisco... don't spend all your energy telling everyone how bad the rest of the world is... I'm just saying.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    GregLGregL Posts: 470

<< <i>Just found out the ANA will not be offering signup tours (as is usually done) at the Chicago Worlds Fair Of Money (WFOM). >>

I don't believe that is completely accurate. There are several tours / events being held, including the dinner at the Shedd Aquarium, a trip to the Field Museum and the Friendship Luncheon. Details can be found here.

Now, there is no baseball game trip planned as takes place sometimes. The Cubs are out of town at the start of the convention and are hosting the St. Louis Cardinals Friday through Sunday. Tickets for a Cards-Cubs series are always scarce and expensive.. which may be why such a tour was not planned. Don't know about the White Sox however.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options

<< <i>Wei - Every true American refrains from making comments on cities and peoples of their nation. It's patriotism and nationalism that keeps America strong. Sure, we joke about accents, sports teams, customs, etc., but we don't put down the people and their differences in a less than comical manner. Isolationism builds walls and starts wars. Your comments were offensive to Chicago, the Midwest and any true American.

I've been to 70 different countries... I would NEVER insult the people of Afghanistan. I may be critical of their leadership, but not the people. Do 1% of the people make 100% of the people bad? I've been to all 50 States... I celebrate each State for a different reason.

The next time there's a national emergency in San Francisco, we'll be sure to pull all the Midwesterners out of the response team since you're so offended by them. Any monies they donate will be given to Cleveland. image We'll be sure to reroute all your flights away from the Midwest... no more Chicago, Altanta, etc. visits for you... from now on you can choose to fly over Mexico or Canada when you fly from Coast-to-Coast. image I hope you enjoy the two Coasts of America since that appears to be all you recognize as the Onceunited States of America.

Edited to add: You can tell the true character of a person... if one argues the attributes of "X", they're a positive person... on the otherhand, if someone always feels compelled to put down "X", they're a negative person. If one wants to feel good about themselves, it's always best to put everyone else down! If San Francisco is the BEST place for a coin show... argue the benefits of San Francisco... don't spend all your energy telling everyone how bad the rest of the world is... I'm just saying. >>

Larry LaFoe - I'll try to keep this one short.

I can't fathom how you're turning this thread into one about patriotism. Patriotism is defined by actions, not words nor how often you have a flag hanging out your car window. As you stated this country is what it is because of freedom to disagree. I disagree with the idea that Chicago (or particularly Rosemont) is the best permanent location for an ANA convention. I don't mind one ANA WFM going to Rosemont once every few years but is it ideal to have it there every year for the foreseeable future? No. Is Chicago the ultimate summer vacation city all of America flocks to between June and September? Hardly. Would the typical first time European or Asian tourist visit Chicago over New York City or San Francisco? I'll go out on a limb and say no. Is Rio (or Tokyo or Madrid) more appealing than Chicago? Yes.

Oh yeah, CSNS is going to Schaumberg from now on. Schaumberg and Rosemont serve the exact same market. Simple oversaturation.

Did you read my post carefully? I never disparaged Chicago nor its residents but it appears my musings hit a little close to home with you. If anything I put Chicago in a positive light. Perhaps the people of Cleveland may be a little upset, but I did allude to the fact Chicago scored satisfactory to excellent evaluation marks in all categories in 2009. That is something Chicago people should be proud of.

Let's get this straight, never have I stated that San Francisco should be the permanent home of an ANA convention. Please quote me from this thread to prove me wrong.

Help from the Midwest during a national emergency? We don't count on it considering how the rest of the country yearns for the West Coast to, in their words, "fall into the ocean". If anything you should be thankful for the innovations California has brought you.

Last thing about the Cubs...it's too bad they won't be in town during convention week. I would've loved to go to a game at Wrigley Field. When I was in town during Central States I took some time to explore the area around Wrigley Field and in most respects I liked that area. It's just too bad the ballpark will be out of use by every October.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cubs are out of town? That bites I was hoping to catch a game.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The cubs are out of town? That bites I was hoping to catch a game. >>

There really is no need to waste your money. Go find yourself a nice frat-house bar, spend $50 on cheap beer and get blasted. That is essentially the same thing as a cubs game. People, don't blame Chicago for the glut of shows. Chicago 3 times is better than going to Indianapolis and whatever other difficult to get to cities they were going to put the ANA. Also, as far as the CSNS being in Schaumburg was done purely by the board of CSNS and if they consulted the membership we would have fought it. It seems they are trying to kill that show and that would not upset me. Just some thoughts.
  • Options
    GregLGregL Posts: 470

They are in town for Friday and Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening games. But like I said.. be prepared for expensive tickets!

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options

<< <i>

They are in town for Friday and Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening games. But like I said.. be prepared for expensive tickets!

Greg >>

That dopesnt help when I need to work all day and fly home on Sat!! Oh well. I will be exhausted by the time they roll into town as I get the the Friday before. There goes the field trip for the photography class! I guess we should focus on coins.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Apparently the ANA and the International Olympic Committee have one thing in common...both agree there's nothing in the Chicago area worth spending time to enjoy.

I know a large part of middle America share an affinity for Chicago, a place they consider to be the world's largest, greatest and proudest representation of a classic true all-American city. But for the rest of the world and for the people from the urban coasts of the U.S., Chicago doesn't carry much more appeal other than for being a slightly cleaner, marginally more cultured supersized version of Cleveland. >>

Wei - You know I just jest while juxtaposing your jabs and jibes! image

So here's I go... You appear to feel Cleveland is the Worst of the Worst in the Midwest... you grade Chicago just slightly higher than the worst. Then you comment that Midwesterners consider Chicago to be the Best of the Best... umm, that appears to be a significant bit of arrogance, don't ewe ya tink der misser? I've lived on the East Coast, the West Coast, the Midwest, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa and for a short time in Antarctica. You do also realize that the United States Military is made up of ALL 50 States and a lot of other countries throughout the World... correct? So when California needs assistance... sorry, but it's going to have to come from those ignorant Midwesterners! image All the military in California aren't from California... as a matter-of-fact, I suspect the percentage of people born in California and still living in California, is probably the smallest percentage of any other State in the Union (and yes, the Midwest is part of the Union). So a Californian isn't really an identity earned... it's an identity taken.

But I just kid... most people don't realize what they write... write and leave it... why proofread it? image

This may also surprise you... but I only post approximately 50% of what I write on this forum! imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>So here's I go... You appear to feel Cleveland is the Worst of the Worst in the Midwest... you grade Chicago just slightly higher than the worst. Then you comment that Midwesterners consider Chicago to be the Best of the Best... umm, that appears to be a significant bit of arrogance, don't ewe ya tink der misser? I've lived on the East Coast, the West Coast, the Midwest, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa and for a short time in Antarctica. You do also realize that the United States Military is made up of ALL 50 States and a lot of other countries throughout the World... correct? So when California needs assistance... sorry, but it's going to have to come from those ignorant Midwesterners! image All the military in California aren't from California... as a matter-of-fact, I suspect the percentage of people born in California and still living in California, is probably the smallest percentage of any other State in the Union (and yes, the Midwest is part of the Union). So a Californian isn't really an identity earned... it's an identity taken. >>

A quick check of statistics shows California is still the number one destination in the U.S. for skilled persons while the Midwestern region leads all other regions in emigration. More like the West Coast is an identity desired and the Midwest is an identity repressed.

In a nutshell, if it weren't for my region of California there wouldn't be an Internet in it's current form. There wouldn't be PC's, online message boards, iPods or smartphones. Chances are you'd still be using a typewriter for your typing needs.

Now Oprah's gone, behold the joys of polka music and greasy pizza!

Cleveland the worst of the worst? You stated it, not me.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm loving this. No one has pulled Detroit into the muck...yetimage
  • Options

<< <i>I'm loving this. No one has pulled Detroit into the muck...yetimage >>

For the last few years picking on Detroit is like beating up a kid in a wheelchair. Too politically incorrect and too much sympathy.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So here's I go... You appear to feel Cleveland is the Worst of the Worst in the Midwest... you grade Chicago just slightly higher than the worst. Then you comment that Midwesterners consider Chicago to be the Best of the Best... umm, that appears to be a significant bit of arrogance, don't ewe ya tink der misser? I've lived on the East Coast, the West Coast, the Midwest, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa and for a short time in Antarctica. You do also realize that the United States Military is made up of ALL 50 States and a lot of other countries throughout the World... correct? So when California needs assistance... sorry, but it's going to have to come from those ignorant Midwesterners! image All the military in California aren't from California... as a matter-of-fact, I suspect the percentage of people born in California and still living in California, is probably the smallest percentage of any other State in the Union (and yes, the Midwest is part of the Union). So a Californian isn't really an identity earned... it's an identity taken. >>

A quick check of statistics shows California is still the number one destination in the U.S. for skilled persons while the Midwestern region leads all other regions in emigration. More like the West Coast is an identity desired and the Midwest is an identity repressed.

In a nutshell, if it weren't for my region of California there wouldn't be an Internet in it's current form. There wouldn't be PC's, online message board,s iPods or smartphones. Chances are you'd still be using a typewriter for your typing needs.

Now Oprah's gone, behold the joys of polka music and greasy pizza!

Cleveland the worst of the worst? You stated it, not me. >>

You're all over the place... Computers = Intel (CA), Internet = MIT (MA) and Cellphones = Motorola (CHICAGO!) image

I'll rewrite your post... If it weren't for Harvard and MIT, the above forementioned wouldn't be in their current forms. (Stanford only grew after HP/Intel/Apple brought all the jobs to Silicon Valley). Most hardware guys attended MIT and most software guys attended Harvard... neither of which are in California. image The only reason most of the computer industry is located in California... is so they could be closer to Comic-Con! image Oh yeah, and so they could vote Arnold into office too! image

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

For the last few years picking on Detroit is like beating up a kid in a wheelchair. Too politically incorrect and too much sympathy. >>

LOL, sad but true
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Chicago still the US leader in murders? Pretty sure it is, for large cities. (My home of Poughkeepsie is for smaller cities...yay!image )

By putting it in Chicago permanently they have assured that I will not ever go there. I don't like cities to begin with.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is Chicago the ultimate summer vacation city all of America flocks to between June and September? Hardly. >>

That does it, then. Move the ANA show to Wisconsin Dells!

<< <i>Would the typical first time European or Asian tourist visit Chicago over New York City or San Francisco? I'll go out on a limb and say no. >>

Correct. Everyone knows that the typical European wants to see a cowboy when they first visit the US, and the typical Asian wants a big cheeseburger. Move the ANA show to Lubbock!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is Chicago the ultimate summer vacation city all of America flocks to between June and September? Hardly. >>

That does it, then. Move the ANA show to Wisconsin Dells!

<< <i>Would the typical first time European or Asian tourist visit Chicago over New York City or San Francisco? I'll go out on a limb and say no. >>

Correct. Everyone knows that the typical European wants to see a cowboy when they first visit the US, and the typical Asian wants a big cheeseburger. Move the ANA show to Lubbock! >>

I think both these locations would have better food options that the immediate proximity of the Rosemont location.
  • Options
    C'mon, we all know it gets very hot and very humid in Rosemont during the summertime and that there's nothing but asphalt all around you... you're thighs will be chapped (Cowboy) and you can cook your food on any surface (Cheeseburgers)... there's always a solution to every problem! image

I think they import the water for the Wisconsin Dells from Chicago...

The BEST coin show ever would be online... all dealers would have their inventory imaged, the show would "open" and everyone could attend from their own homes. You could search by dealer, by coin or simply look at everything! When the coin sells, you'll no longer see it. All dealers could meet at a barn somewhere in the country where Messydeck and blu62vette could image all the coins... problem solved. EVERYONE could attend... and no one would have to talk to anyone else (except on this forum). You wouldn't have to visit Rosemont or worry about falling into the ocean in San Francisco.
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Hey Wei, you need to walk the Chicago lakefront and then get back to me. You obviously have not or you would not compare Chicago to Cleveland. There is no comparison.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    BTW Wei, a couple of questions. What city is your hometown? Where do you call home? What city would you like to see be the permanent home of the ANA?
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options

<< <i>BTW Wei, a couple of questions. What city is your hometown? Where do you call home? What city would you like to see be the permanent home of the ANA? >>

I took a walk along the lakeshore the very last time I was in Chicago. Better than Cleveland? Yes. Better than Newport Beach? No. Besides I prefer salt water beaches.

I was born in Taipei, Taiwan. Taiwan, unfortunately, has for decades carried the reputation of being declared the armpit of Asia. Compared to its neighbors and competitors Taipei has virtually no tourism industry and virtually no tourists. Overwhelmingly most travelers to Taipei are business travelers and do the get in, get it done and get out asap routine. Other than the National Palace Museum (considered one of the best four museums in the world) there isn't anything worth seeing that you can't see in other large Asian cities.

Although I don't live there anymore while my parents still do, Cupertino, California can be considered a hometown. Cupertino is a Silicon Valley city that is home to a bunch of tech companies, including one very, very famous one (a video of its city council meeting from 6/7/11 was internationally featured on Yahoo! Yesterday). The place isn't a tourist hotspot but does get some mainly because some of that very famous company's fans feel like making a pilgrimage to its headquarters.

My mailing address is in Mountain View, California, a city also home to another very, very famous online company. Other than the Bay Area I spend a lot of time in Las Vegas. I also spend plenty of time in the L.A. Area and Washington DC.

Ideally I would like to see the ANA summer conventions rotate between four cities, which would ensure no one region is over saturated with too many large shows. Combined with the CSNS conventions I feel that within two years the region will feel the fatigue of hosting too many coin shows with not enough new retail to keep the local atmosphere fresh.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wei may have accidentally made a point here.

The Cleveland Indians visit the White Sox in Chicago at the beginning of the ANA show.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Oreville!
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll see what the feedback is after this year. I am hopeful but realistic. The ANA will have two years to address any major concerns coming out of this year's convention.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    WTCG, your opening post is clueless and provincial. I don't know anyone who has spent time in Chicago who hasn't loved it.

Let me quote the late Tony Judy, an intellectual writing about home city of New York:

"New York remains a world city. It is not the great American city — that will always be Chicago." Link.

There's tons to see and do here. Did I mention we have the best restaurant in North America? Link. It's probably out of your price range, but I throw it out there just as an example of how you don't even know what you don't know.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know anyone who has spent time in Chicago who hasn't loved it.

Let me quote the late Tony Judy, an intellectual writing about home city of New York:

"New York remains a world city. It is not the great American city — that will always be Chicago." Link. >>

Never met anyone who's spent time in Chicago and not loved it? Hint...hint. Go talk to some well traveled people. Has Conde Nast or TripAdvisor ever named Chicago a winner in any travel poll for favorite world city or even American city? Never.

As Tony Judy stated, New York is a world city. Chicago is a great "American" city. It is great by domestic standards but lacks worldwide recognition and appeal.

As for the restaurant rankings, I've been to #10 (chef/ owner Thomas Keller lives in my area and his Yountville restaurant was named #1 twice in the last decade). Don't know much about Alinea but I'll have to try Alinea some time.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll have to try Alinea some time. >>

Alinea is nice, but places like Alinea, Trotters, L2O, etc., you are paying for the show. You can get food 95% as good for a lot less at Tru, Everest, etc. Unless you are a cook yourself (I'm not) I don't think you can really appreciate what they are doing at Alinea.

Something fun happened at Trotters though - at the end of the meal my wife turned into kind of an obsequious nuisance, and Mr. Trotter was flattered enough to snap his fingers, and immediately appeared one of his assistants with a special Charlie Trotter knife, which has proven to be like ten times better than any other knife in our kitchen.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    WCTG -- Not all share that opinion
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANA should be held in Dallas .....at least Texans can balance their state budgets far better than in Illinois and California.image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i> Never met anyone who's spent time in Chicago and not loved it? Hint...hint. Go talk to some well traveled people. Has Conde Nast or TripAdvisor ever named Chicago a winner in any travel poll for favorite world city or even American city? Never.

As Tony Judy stated, New York is a world city. Chicago is a great "American" city. It is great by domestic standards but lacks worldwide recognition and appeal. >>

Yep, 45 million people a year visit Chicago link, and they must've all done drove here on tractors. Yee-hah! I'll be sure to wear mah best pair of overalls for the ANA.

By the way, did I mention our sleepy little cow town is ranked an Alpha world city? There's only one other U.S. city on that list that's higher than us, and it ain't San Francisco. Is that enough "worldwide recognition" for ya? image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, did I mention our sleepy little cow town is ranked an Alpha world city? There's only one other U.S. city on that list that's higher than us, and it ain't San Francisco. Is that enough "worldwide recognition" for ya? image >>

San Francisco is a Beta world city. Hey... isn't a Beta fish better suited to live alone since they're always fighting and can't get along with others?

P.S. I know it's Betta... but Beta works better in my joke! image
  • Options
    Are all those reasons why Chicago came in dead last in IOC voting? That's right...dead last behind Madrid, Tokyo and Rio.

The 45 million count includes all air traffic to Midway and O'Hare. 85 to 90 percent of all passenger traffic to Chicago is non O/D, transit only.

2010 California GDP in million $ = 1,936,400

2010 Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin combined GDP in million $ = 1,163,200

Three states combined have 67 percent of the population of California but only 60 percent of the output. Better luck next time.
  • Options
    Wei - Do you find it hard to argue one topic... or do you just redirect when you find yourself in the negative position? image

Edited to add my compulsory image
  • Options
    Anyways, we'll find out in two months whether or not the ANA made the right decision to choose Rosemont/ Chicago as a permanent location for the World's Fair of Money. If it works out we'll all be happy and I'll happily look forward to all future ANA convention trips to Rosemont, err, Chicago. If the show falls flat on its face then let's hope the ANA has a flexible out clause in their contract with the convntion center.
  • Options

<< <i>The 45 million count includes all air traffic to Midway and O'Hare. 85 to 90 percent of all passenger traffic to Chicago is non O/D, transit only. >>

WTCG, you haven't cited a single bit evidence to support anything you've said. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. Unless you can support your statements with links to independent sources, I'm not going to waste time arguing with you. I've more than made my point, as your repeated attempt to change the argument shows.

Edited to add: you're really grasping at straws here. Chicago came in last in 2016 Olympic voting? You do realize, don't you, that the USOC chose Chicago over four other US cities (including San Francisco) to be the US candidate city. Sheesh... stick to coins my friend. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The 45 million count includes all air traffic to Midway and O'Hare. 85 to 90 percent of all passenger traffic to Chicago is non O/D, transit only. >>

WTCG, you haven't cited a single bit evidence to support anything you've said. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. Unless you can support your statements with links to independent sources, I'm not going to waste time arguing with you. I've more than made my point, as your repeated attempt to change the argument shows. >>

How do I know the O/D figure for Chicago? Back in the day I worked for Chicago's hometown airline. Yeah, that one with aircraft adorned with a "tulip" designed by Saul Bass. The one with the most flights out of O'Hare headquartered at 77 West Wacker Drive. The one if it weren't for city government subsidies would have moved its headquarters to San Francisco in 2006. The 85 - 90 percent figure was a stat most operations and revenue people knew all too well. Out of all itineraries sold that included O'Hare, almost 9 out of 10 were transit only.

As for the Olympics, San Francisco was never a true candidate city. A formal bid submission was seriously considered although a formal bid never materialized. The USOC backed the wrong candidate city. If New York was chosen it could have won. Chicago could have beaten Madrid and perhaps Tokyo in a longshot but it had no real chance against Rio. Chicago was projected to be a finalist city considering its mostly satisfactory reviews but it still came in last. Makes you wonder.
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Nedd something to do when in Chicago--
    When in Chicago, go to the history museum downtown . It has in my opinion the best Civil War exhibit (a large room)(150th anniversary next 4 years) anywhere, and I have been to most of them. The chicago library also had an amazing civil war room at one time. The Grand Army of The republic Union veteran organization headquarters was in Chicago and lots of stuff was donated. They also have a trophy given to Admiral Dewey and it is covered in barber dimes!, just to keep this coin related. I also forgot they have a nice Lincoln exhibit also since he was a resident of Illinois.

Krueger
  • Options
    Wei, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. You make some good points, but the way you lead with your main point is rough around the edges. Some would say it was missing tact or even fairness.

One of your other posts made a point that you would much rather prefer downtown over Rosemont. So you must see some value in the city. Although I do think Rosemont is a better fit for the ANA.

San Fransisco is a fantastic city. I think your ideas of a four city rotation would be great. How about (west to east) San Fran, Las Vegas, Chicago, Charlotte. Lets pretend that we can decide!

• Options

<< <i>How about (west to east) San Fran, Las Vegas, Chicago, Charlotte. Lets pretend that we can decide! >>

I'll vote for you... umm, I mean your plan! image
  • Options
    A chicken in every pot!
  • Options

<< <i>A chicken in every pot! >>

Two campaign promises in a single thread... you are the MAN! image
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Las Vegas, Denver, Chicago, and Philadelphia would be better choices.
  • Options

<< <i>Las Vegas, Denver, Chicago, and Philadelphia would be better choices. >>

Great! We haven't even fixed the problem and you're already try to make improvements! image
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the problem again? image

No coins at the ANA? image
  • Options

<< <i>

For the last few years picking on Detroit is like beating up a kid in a wheelchair. Too politically incorrect and too much sympathy. >>

If it wasnt for that there city down the road named Detroit fooling around with all dem cars back in da early years than you rich folks in Bevaly Hills wouldnt have anything to get stuck in them their traffic jams.

On a serious note I love that its in Chicago.........I bet at least a handful of coins at the show once belonged to the old mayor image

• Options

<< <i>What was the problem again? image

No coins at the ANA? image >>

If you keep your mouth shut and stick to the message, I'll make you Vice President.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file