Home Precious Metals
Options

Bubbles

A bubble is defined as a commodity, asset, or anything that soars in value in a short period of time and then crashes back down to pre-take off value....and often times even less.....in about an equal amount of time that it took to reach its top. We have seen it with tulip bulbs in the 1600's, the Soth Seas Trading company in the 1700's, GM in the early 1900's, dot.com stocks in 2000, and currently on the downturn of the housing bubble right now.

Does the rapid rise in price of gold and silver follow in the same footsteps? Are we seeing the making of a true financial bubble? Are higher prices being justified simply by previous high prices? Or are we actually witnessing the birth of a new, globally accepted "currency"?

As a serious PM bug, I have to wonder if this just isnt another bubble.....is this time really different?

Comments

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this up. I have been studying this question for the past couple weeks and from reading various articles and other forums, it seems like *everyone* has this mentality of "to the moon we go"; I am extremely skeptical, honestly. I think there are some very serious questions about the psychology behind this.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The questions are there but in the mean time,

IT'S OFF TO THE MOON WE GO.
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭
    Yes, for those of us who have invested in PMs, we have seen a nice rise but at the same time, the actual amount of dollars invested in PMs is relatively small. This leaves a huge upside possibility in PM prices should the economic situation worsen here in the States, Japan, and in Western Europe due to our ever increasing debt. Same thing for oil and the Middle East. If things blow up there, then price inflation becomes a big worry. As governments know, oil dictates the price of everything. We could have two-headed monster - monetary inflation and price inflation.

Both will send large and small investors into PMs (the metals themselves, stocks, or some type of derivative). At that time, the true bubble will begin to be inflated. Right now, in my opinion, only a few puffs have been made. A good deal of new money coming into PMs will push this relatively thinly traded market way up.

If you are a trader, that bubble could fill up a little and then lose a little air but if you are longer focused, it is my opinion that bubble has a long long way to go before it pops. When Sorus stated that gold was in a bubble, to the best of my memory, I do not remember if he qualified and quantified his statement about how large the bubble was.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    Who knows but here's my take. I buy PM's for wealth protection (even tho its a small portion of my wealth.) I can never seem to sell any and I am questioning this right now. But then I hear about how Congress is fighting over cutting $100B of social programs from the budget and then I realize it doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of $13T of debt. The only way to do anything meaningful in this country is to inflate our way out of our debt so in the long-term it has to go up relative to the dollars we all own. I am still relatively young and in 20, 30 or 40 years do I want a safe full of PM or paper dollars.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe 6 Pack still has faith in the dollar, blind faith.
    J6P wanted a house - bubble with the banking shenanigans that folks who paid attention knew was happening.

I don't think PM is even close to starting any bubble. Until the dollar starts getting inflated, or we start spending yuans here in the US, we still have a ways to go.

Now, I've been putting off a silver purchase for 2 weeks now due to taxes/bills/blah blah blah, and I cringe seeing $34 after seeing the $28 pullback, but that just reinforces the buy/holding I've been doing since 2000...even if it's been at relatively low levels to the hitters here.
  • Options

CSF
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it seems like *everyone* has this mentality of "to the moon we go"

If that is in fact the case, then the price rise for precious metals is over.

But that is not in fact the case.

Consider this, I just sold $500 face of silver in order to finance some nice Large Cents. I'm serious about Large Cents at this point in my life. Did I think I was "selling at the top"? Am I frustrated because silver has continued up since I sold some? No, I use precious metals as a piggy bank. Will I have trouble justifying buying it back at $45/oz? No, I won't.

I will add to my pile anyway at different points in time when the extra cash is available. It will function as a piggy bank and keep my capital away from the effects of Uncle Sam's inflation whenever I buy it back, and at whatever price. Frankly, it was nice to be able to have a liquid asset readily available when I wanted to spend it.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I want to see those large cents
  • Options
    We may be entering the bubble stage. Silver is up like 90% for the past 12 months. That is the kind of movement seen in bubbles. Sentiment is one of the better indicators. On one of the stock market blogs, there was an old quote from Peter Lynch, mutual fund manager legend. At parties Lynch would often be asked what he does for a living. He would tell them he manages investments, mostly stocks. When the market is dead, people show no interest. When it is perking up and moving, folks ask him for tips. When it is to the froth stage, people are giving him stock tips, sure they are now genuises. So if a stranger perks up when mentioned gold or silver it is a sign. For people I talk to, mostly their eyes still glaze over. If they start bragging about how much they made, and telling you how much you should buy, that is bubble talk. If little old ladies at church say they just bought a 10 ounce silver bar to insure their financial future, that is the end, and it will be time to sell, if not short.

Fortunately, for all of us, this forum can be a relatively good sentiment indicator. A few weeks ago long time bulls were asking if it was time to sell as silver moved over $25. The argument was put this way: surely silver is going to be lower than $26 in the next few years, why not sell now and wait for the inevitable pull back. Well, unless a person can dance between raindrops, there was no opportunity to reload physical as it rallied to near $30, pulled back to $26 and then took off again. I kind of knew it was a good time to be aggressive in the short term, but I don't tend to trade paper silver, and I am not a young, nimble, or particularly gifted trader.

Watch for these additional forum signs: Smart people, logical people, the long time permabulls, will tend to be selling 20% to 40% below the ultimate bubble top based on fundamental valuation. Newbies will flock in from the U. S. coin forum, asking newbie questions, about what to buy, where to buy, and then post their aggressive new buys. There is a trickle of newbies, but at the moment that trickle isn't enough to inflate a bubble. Keep watching.

Gold $3000 has been and continues to be a long term price target. When I first joined the forum, and gold was like $500, most folks thought I was a wild-eyed-idiot. When I was buying at gold $700, many were selling, many were telling me I was crazy, that gold was sure to go back down. On many investment related threads on the U. S. coin forum for the past few years, I wrote that silver coins at melt were the best game in town. I remember old threads with Gecko when he would complain about the prices, markups and spreads on various collector coins, and I would often tell him that silver coins near melt value were the place to be, if resale and investment was his primary interest.
  • Options
    TallPaul, thanks for the link to a nice piece by Trader Dan.

agentjim007: Link to those Large Cents...

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I still cringe at the thought of how much money I lost during the Tulip Bulb bubble in the 1600's image
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big question, which I do not have the answer for, is:

Is the current $34 silver price too high, and a bubble, or was the $17 price of a few months ago artificially manipulated well under what a non-manipulated free market price should have been?

Are there such things as "negative bubbles?" If so, is it possible that a "negative bubble" popped, and we have now returned to "normal?"

As I said, I do not have the answer.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

How would you like to have a crystal ball at this point.

A little further down the road lies the answer and some of us will have the right path and some of us wont.

Where do you stand?
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redtiger brings a good point about when 'non pm' folks start getting interested.

Everybody I know knows that I like the metals. Everybody. I don't bring it up daily or weekly or whatever, but if folks have paid any attention they know. I show a new shiny thing here and there, 1/10th gold or a silver round, whatever.

As it stands I get a discussion about the metals from exactly 3 people in my circle on any kind of regular basis. One is a trader buddy who I see all the time that asks about mining stocks or etf or physical price, anything really, he's learning and the tiny bit of info I have is still more than he gets regular. He's made money just paying attention basically.

The other is another mutal friend of the above, who is a trader, that taught my other buddy how to trade. No interest in metals for years listening to me and my other buddy talk. 2010 he perked up and was wondering why our other friend was making money off metals and jumped in. Done alright on the etfs and options I suppose, but physical is still pretty clueless, although I think he did start monitoring spot price maybe in Sept/Oct. He'd rather trade coal/steel but whatever, he knows that market better.

The other is just a buddy who has no investment interest for metals, but likes to shoot the breeze about it when I say I bought something at so and so spot and can't believe the prices.

When my co-workers finally start asking about PMs, that's when I'd even remotely start to wonder.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I remember during the peak of the Hunt brothers induced silver bubble, people were waiting on lines to sell their coins, jewerly, and silverware. That hasn't happened yet, so we may be in a bubble, but were not at the top yet.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no bubbles in commodities with perhaps a few exceptions.

What we are witnessing are a few processes at work. The currencies are weakening on fundamentals
    and structural deficits while gold is moving to reflect the risk of inflation. Silver could be in a bubble but
    more likely it is on the verge of breaking the inertia which has held it at a small fraction of its proper val-
    ue for decades or more. Silver is its own market and this market has been artificially suppressed so a
    few can grow rich while silver was unnaturally used up.

There is not much silver in the world but there's a whole lot of money, a whole lot of gold, and a whole
    lot of people who want to get rich. But even more than wanting to get rich are people who want to eat.
    There are billions of us and each of us wants to eat every day and this can't happen without lots and lots
    of silver. This is why someday silver demand will feed on itself and touch off a buying panic. When this
    occurs there will be a new price for silver which more accurately reflects supply and demand. Of course
    supply will still come out of the ground faster than it does for gold but investor demand will tend to keep
    the price steady but with wider swings over the long term.

Once the process of revaluation begins there won't be much that can stop it. Obviously economic col-
    lapse could do it but even this wouldn't take it back to the old price once the process is complete and
    silver has found its proper valuation. Silver prices will reflect the health of the economy and business
    rather than the risk of inflation like gold does. Rising base metal prices will increase silver production
    and hold prices steadier.

We may have already begun the revaluation but it's still early to say. Bubbles can look a lot like what
    we're seeing. In this case though much higher prices will disprove it's a bubble rather than prove it!!
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't shake the idea that high PM prices at present are related to low interest rates. What will happen when interest rates rise? I don't know. It could take a long time for them to rise, or they could shoot up tomorrow.

We're probably headed for stagflation in the US, if not in it already. Any commodity with emerging market demand will maintain pricing power; anything dependent on pure consumer demand, historically 70% of the US economy, will suffer. The underutilized capacity in the US economy, specifically labor in many sectors, will reinforce low prices for non-essential consumer goods. Food & energy, watch out. Real estate however will be in play, and could present a fantastic opportunity during the next decade.

Is gold or silver in a bubble? I don't think so. Are prices too high for my comfort level as a buyer? Yes. I last added meaningfully back at ~$1000/oz. Will prices drop meaningfully in the future? Who knows, but I suspect not. I think high gold prices, like low long-term interest rates, slack consumer demand, and lack of demand-pull (or whatever the term is) inflation, is part of the "new normal" that Bill Gross describes.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though I do not post on the PM board often, I have been a longtime advocate of PM acquisition for liquidity, diversification and wealth preservation. The folks locally know that I have advocated this for many years and we chat now and then about coins and metals. They bring things for me to look at and ask questions now and then. I have even sent emails to folks to answer questions, give background and start them on the path of PM acquisition. However, in all that time I have had only three people (out of perhaps two dozen) join me for modern US Mint precious metal coin flips and these people only did it a few times even though I handled the work and they received very good profits. Recently, I had my first local encounter with someone who wanted to actually buy metals for the aforementioned liquidity, diversification and wealth preservation. Of course, this client, an MD, made it clear that this was a one time purchase and the total was only ten ASEs and ten 1/10 ounce AGEs. Very few in my area, and we are generally talking about folks with some money and education, can be bothered with metals.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    I can't shake the idea that high PM prices at present are related to low interest rates. What will happen when interest rates rise? I don't know. It could take a long time for them to rise, or they could shoot up tomorrow.

The chart that I have taped up over my desk is "Real Interest Rates, Gold & Silver Prices." The 90-day T-Bill rate or the Fed Funds rate (either will work) minus the rate of inflation = Real Interest Rate.

Metals do well with low real interest rates. The biggest problem is that real interest rates are not publicized because the government likes to disguise the rate of inflation (in order to reduce their entitlement payments and debt servicing load), which is used to determine real interest rates.

They can't raise interest rates now because it will crash the economic system. That may never change now that the system is wounded by unfunded liabilities, off-the books finance, debt approaching critical mass, and taxpayers with less money every day.

Paul Volker would tell you that interest rates will work over a period of time, but not without significant cost. There is no way that this government will take that route, in my opinion.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before the last peak in 1980 interest rates rose for years before peaking in the teens. Mortgage rates were up to 20%.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the rapid rise in price of gold and silver follow in the same footsteps? Are we seeing the making of a true financial bubble? Are higher prices being justified simply by previous high prices? Or are we actually witnessing the birth of a new, globally accepted "currency"? As a serious PM bug, I have to wonder if this just isnt another bubble.....is this time really different?

Is this time different? I don't know. When was the last time the world as a whole operated 40yrs on unbacked paper and then began badly leaking oil? How did it turn out?

Compare previous bubble charts of oil, S&P, etc. to current silver chart. Silver still not in the same league. If you artificially depress the price of something for 10-15 yrs, you have to expect this type of outcome. In any case, it's still not even back to it's 1980 non-inflation adjusted peak. From spring 1979 to January 1980 silver went up 10X in less than 12 months with most of that action occuring in the final 3-6 months. Silver just doubled in the past 12 months and is up 10X in the past 8 yrs. Potentially, not even close to the 1979 mania. If silver is ready to peak out for all time, then what about rare earths and other usable metals that have done even better the past 12 months? Or is the real bubble the end of the 40 yr run of fiat currencies as the 120 yr economic cycle readies itself to go hard up from 2012-2014. Commodities are adjusting to the fiat currencies race to the bottom, nothing more.

Until the too-big-to-fail banks divest themselves of $200 TRILLION in otc interest rate swaps that are weighing on the market like an 800# gorilla keeping rates artificially low, not much is going to change. Those IR swap positions are still increasing, not decreasing....and that doesn't include positions that are not reported to the OCC.

Party line CPI-U is <3%......CPI-U using pre-1983 methods is 9%. You decide which is telling the truth and which to use to determine "real" interest rates.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    nice cents jmski52!

if one has been following the reasons for PM's rising since 2001 then it's obvious the bubble itself doesn't even know it exits.

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Silver has increased from about $5 to $34, and gold from about $280 to $1,405 in the last ten years. That's a huge increase, much larger than the increase in inflation or money supply since 2001. Both metals are also significantly above their average prices (adjusted for inflation) over the last 40 years, which is indicative of froth in prices.

I have no doubt we're in a bubble for both metals. But that doesn't mean we've reached peak of high prices -- the peak could still be far in the future.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not forget that there was a concerted effort from 1995-2002 to keep gold prices bottomed (gold carry trade, foreign CB sales, paper swaps and otc derivatives, double counting of gold reserves, etc.). And who knows if silver it truly in a huge deficit postion. It sure wasn't back in 2003. That could be a game changer.

Gold is the mirror image created by the 40 yr old dollar bubble. Fix the fiat dollar bubble....and gold will disappear from the news. Simple as that.
    If you don't fix it, then the system has to start over again with something new.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>The big question, which I do not have the answer for, is:

Is the current $34 silver price too high, and a bubble, or was the $17 price of a few months ago artificially manipulated well under what a non-manipulated free market price should have been?

Are there such things as "negative bubbles?" If so, is it possible that a "negative bubble" popped, and we have now returned to "normal?"

As I said, I do not have the answer.

TD >>

There was a hedge fund manager that recently confessed to using leverage to manipulate gold higher. When the trades unwound and the fund folded, gold went down. Maybe some other hedge fund managers heard the story, knocked some numbers around for silver and thought it was worth a go and are now using leverage to manipulate silver higher. It would not take much money, and it would explain a lot. Manipulation works both ways, but in general, tends to be easier and more profitable when manipulating prices higher.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I think eventually there will be a bubble in gold and/or silver, but we are certainly not near the top yet. Based on the prototypical bubble chart below, I'd say we are in the middle or end phases of "awareness". The general public certainly hasn't gotten on board yet.

I wouldn't say we are in the "return to normal" climb, since there has yet to be a public mania phase, plus the metals are reaching new highs, not just approaching old tops.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

If that is the case we are in for a wild ride up here shortly.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think eventually there will be a bubble in gold and/or silver, but we are certainly not near the top yet. Based on the prototypical bubble chart below, I'd say we are in the middle or end phases of "awareness". The general public certainly hasn't gotten on board yet.

I wouldn't say we are in the "return to normal" climb, since there has yet to be a public mania phase, plus the metals are reaching new highs, not just approaching old tops.

image >>

There will be a "new paradigm" in silver.

It will not be followed by a blow off but the price will dramatically overshoot
    and fall back to a more realistic value. Sell when your idiot brother in law
    buys and you'll do just fine. If you're unfortunate enough not to have such
    a great contrary indicator close at hand just wait until you hear strangers
    talking about the opportunity.

We aren't even close to this yet.

Sure, prices can fall but there will be a change in attitude about silver and
    when the last person catches on the price will drop like a rock. This time will
    be different and you should buy on the drop. Buy hard. Replace everything
    you sold and then some.

We should be at least a year away and it could be twenty.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember, it always goes down before it goes up,
    and it always goes up before it goes down,
    and it always goes down before it goes up.
    Repeat as necessary.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Not at all concerned. I expected this correction, there always is.