Home U.S. Coin Forum

Boeing 747-8 - Post a coin or medal with a plane

Hopefully Jeremy was at the unveiling and can share a quick story too!

I found this picture on the Boeing Coin Club Site

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed the ceremony. I had intended to overfly it to get an aerial view, but two things got in the way:

1- It was done entirely inside
    2- The plane I was flying suffered a failure of my communications and navigation radios, and GPS, all at the same time in rather crummy weather. I was much more focused on dealing with that than the view image

As for the plane, it's the the first one I ever worked with when I got to Boeing, and many people I work with had a huge part in its design. The 2011 BECC medal is a relative, the 747-400 Large Cargo Freighter used to haul wings and fuselage parts for the 787:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    I was at the roll-out....Boeing put on quite a show with the theatrics....They handed out sunglasses and blow-up thundersticks.....The un-veiling was in the 40-24 bldg in the Everett factory, the plane was behind a giant curtain...They moved all the tool jigs out of the way, and there were people all the way back to the east west transportation asile...somewhere between 10,000 and 12,000....There were speakers and videos about the legacy of the 747 and the inovations that are being built into the 747-8...In attendance was Joe Gunter, who was the lead design engineer on the original 747 model....just one of the "incredibles", but the one that came up with the idea of this massive machine actually achieving flight. ...the lead up to the un-veiling was a trio of 2 violinists and 1 tymphany drummer.

The pic of the original Boeing coin club coin/medal of the 747 from 1980

A pic from the rollout.....It was explained that the orange and red colors are considered lucky colors in many cultures, as is the number "8"

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a couple of interesting early aviation medals from the Lindbergh era but alas, no longer have pix of them. There was a short period there where I ended up with three or four different pieces, for little or no money at all (bulk lot finds, "extras", etc.) I sort of thought it would make an interesting collecting theme for somebody.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like this, Lord M?

imageimage
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of 1st's

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work in the aviation industry and yesterday I was on the roof of a large hangar at an airport from 3:00PM - 6:30PM. I was taking photos and shooting video of planes and helicopters taking off and landing etc...cool stuff. I needed some fresh stock footage. It was a high of maybe 77 degrees with a light breeze and beautiful blue skies. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file