Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2 huge broadstrikes(actually die cap errors) I would like more info about.

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
I saw these in an old thread a while back and was awestruck.I am unsure who originally posted them and hope they do not mind me using their pictures. I would love to find out more about these,such as rarity and possible value. Errors like these are absolutely as cool as they come in my opinion. Does anyone have any info on these two in particular?

1873-CC Seated half dollar:

1873 Trade dollar

Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Wil Robins aka GoldenEyeNumismatics originally posted that pic after discovering them tucked away in a Nevada Museum (i believe the story goes....)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are just awesome!!! I want one!!!

They almost look like they are struck on a planchet that was too large for the denomination. I look forward to reading more about them.
  • Options
    I came across these in the collection of Dr. S. L. Lee held in the vaults of the Nevada State Museum during an internship in the Summer of 2008. Nobody knew they were there. They're currently #19 and #21 in Weinberg's "100 Greatest Errors" book.

Initial article
    Followup
  • Options
    Estimated market values that I was given around the time they were discovered was $50,000-$75,000 apiece, but that might be a little strong. They are, however, firmly bound to the Nevada State Museum and won't see the open market at any time in the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I came across these in the collection of Dr. S. L. Lee held in the vaults of the Nevada State Museum during an internship in the Summer of 2008. Nobody knew they were there. They're currently #19 and #21 in Weinberg's "100 Greatest Errors" book.

Initial article
    Followup >>

GEN for bringing them back from the depths of a museum basement.Who knows if they would have ever resurfaced again for the public to see.Lucky for the museum that you were an honest person.I would have loved to see the expression on your face when you found them.

edit:I just read the entire article about the discovery.It was a great story.Thanks!!!!!
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2018 4:18PM

@TennesseeDave said:
    I saw these in an old thread a while back and was awestruck.I am unsure who originally posted them and hope they do not mind me using their pictures. I would love to find out more about these,such as rarity and possible value. Errors like these are absolutely as cool as they come in my opinion. Does anyone have any info on these two in particular?

1873-CC Seated half dollar:

1873 Trade dollar

Just ran across these amazing errors!

Are any coins like these in private hands?

• Options
    edited April 7, 2018 4:31PM

@GoldenEyeNumismatics said:
    I came across these in the collection of Dr. S. L. Lee held in the vaults of the Nevada State Museum during an internship in the Summer of 2008. Nobody knew they were there. They're currently #19 and #21 in Weinberg's "100 Greatest Errors" book.

Initial article
    Followup

Great background on Simeon Lemuel Lee! Here's just the briefest of excerpts:

Simeon Lemuel Lee was born near Shobonier in Fayette County, Ill., on Sept. 4, 1844. He grew up on a farm, and at age 19 joined the 8th Illinois Volunteer Infantry under General Ulysses S. Grant. He later went through Mississippi with General William Tecumseh Sherman, and also went on to serve under General Canby at Du Valls Bluffs in Arkansas.

And the PCGS slab from the follow up article:

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:
    I still own her.

a gr8 brockage!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited April 7, 2018 6:52PM
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great errors and background story. Having read both articles I wonder why initially the coins were to be graded by NGC (ref. to in first article). Then in the second article it is stated they were submitted to PCGS. Were they graded by NGC first then "cracked out"?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great article and amazing coins.... Makes one wonder what other treasures are hidden away in museums, attics or cellars....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff.

I would love to own them

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Here's an article with more info on afford's piece. The Stack's sale was guest cataloged by Carson City Mint expert Rusty Goe.

https://coinweek.com/auctions-news/error-coins-fascinating-multi-struck-and-brockage-1873-cc-with-arrows-half-dollar-being-offered-for-sale/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file