Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Dansco Peace Dollars - Completed 02/18/2012!

baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
>>>>> Edit 02/18/2012 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>> Added 1926-D, 1934-S, and 1935S.
>>>>> Begin Edit 02/18/2012

Well I completed a set. I may of missed updating the thread with a couple of coins since my last update.

During that time I got to the point where I needed the three coins listed above to complete the set.
I was able to purchase them over the last 2 months.

The 1926D was purchased at the FUN show. Purchased from a small dealer, can't recall who.

Next up was the 1934-S PCGS XF45, purchased from a seller on eBay, BIN or Best Offer.
Made an offer, accepted.

Finally the 1935-S ANACS AU58 purchased from a seller on eBay, auction style.

This set was a lot of fun to put together and not too terribly expensive. Total cost $1687.00.
Looking back, I probably could of spent less, but it's already done.

I will probably upgrade, or swap out the 1921 for a coin that visually (toning) matches the other coins in set ... at some point.

My photos aren't that good, but thanks for looking. I appreciate having this forum to learn and share.
For now it's on to something else. Maybe I'll get a good camera setup?

I hope you enjoy. It was fun for me.

Bob
February 18, 2012

Before pictures ...

and after ...

imageimage

>>>>> End Edit 02/18/2012 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

*****************************************************************************************

Edit 11/29/2011 - added 1934-D, see bottom of original post.
My latest pickup was the 1934-D, purchased from Ralph Clark at a local annual coin show.

*****************************************************************************************

I started this project in 2010. I'm in no hurry to complete the set, so I can take my time looking for the right coins.
To keep the cost reasonable my goal was to complete a Dansco Peace Dollar album with all mid AU to low MS coins, with some light toning or tarnish ... image
Some of the coins have nice pink/rose color tone and I really like that look (sorry Ricko).

My first coin was the 1921, but to keep cost low I bought a raw XF40-45 raw from Millers Coin & Currency.
I'll probably upgrade that one at some point in the future. And, while I'm giving credit I bought a couple of these from our very own guitarwes.

Page one is complete and I only need 7 more coins to complete the set.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. I'm open to advice and comments from the peanut gallery. Thanks for looking!
I may do a PCGS graded set some day.

The one that got me started ... bad coin!

Edit 2/17/2011: added page two pictures. Thanks

Here's my page 2 of 2 in the Dansco Peace Dollar album, with a few closeups.
I apologize for the glare. One of these days I'll get a copy stand and a decent camera setup ...

Have fun and enjoy ...

>>>>>>>>>> 3/31/2011 Added 1928-P <<<<<<<<<<

Purchased early this month from Steve Estes, light tone, AU58.
I really like the look of this coin and I think it fits well with the rest of the coins in the album.

>>>>>>>>>> 11/29/2011 Added 1934-D <<<<<<<<<<

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...

Comments

• Options
    Attractive set!

Even though I am a 'slab guy' I really enjoy the look of a nice group of coins in an album like you have here. Congratulations!
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Album collecting is fun. Nice start. I have also considered Peace dollars.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Nice set! Thanks for posting!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    image Lovely pieces and I love the look in Danscos! Careful with them slides now!!
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Nice pickup.

That looks like fun.

I'll bet that album is getting heavy.

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    very good set so far. If I may ask What grade did the seller place on the 25 s?
  • Options

<< <i>very good set so far. If I may ask What grade did the seller place on the 25 s? >>

Thank you. Seller graded it ... MS60
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
  • Options
    Nice! image

I like my slabs, - but I love my albums. Have fun!
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Love it!
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I am definitely an album guy as I think it is the most attractive and convenient way to store and display your coins, so I congratulate you.
  • Options
    Thank you for the comments.

I've been putting my slabbed coins in the Lighthouse certified coin album pages & albums.
    Much easier to view a collection, and I like the look.

PS. I just added the reverse picture for page 1 of the album.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pick ups. thatll be a fine set when done image
  • Options
    Very attractive set. How are the rest of the pages coming along?

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set baddogss.... no need to apologize, to each his own..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice, Danscos are the way to go to really enjoy your coins
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

<< <i>Very attractive set. How are the rest of the pages coming along?

Ron >>

Thank you Ron. I added some page two pictures in the OP.
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    I really like the look of that 28-s! image
  • Options
    ttt

Yahoo, I finally added the 1928-P , please see original post. Now for the 34-S.

Thank you, Bob
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on filling another slot. It gets addicting
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contrats, I just finished my cirulated set, here's the one that got me started

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

<< <i>Contrats, I just finished my cirulated set, here's the one that got me started

image >>

Yep, that's the first one I bought too. This has been a fun set to work on.
  • Options
    Bump. Added 1934D ... back in October also, see OP. Thanks

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I like what you have done so far. Peace dollars are what got me started collecting.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it!!
    Nice set so far indeed!
    Thank you for sharing.
    I too have most of my collection in Dansco albums. There's just something sweet about holding it in your hands and seeing all the coins grouped as they are and side by side... the heavy feel is nice too.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Your set is coming along very nicely. Please keep us up on how it is doing.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well done, nothing like 90% dollars in a Dansco.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    I like these! One of my favorite designs. Looks like you're enjoying the search. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Love it.image
    Becky
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i still like it image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is representative of my coin life. Album collecting is one of the joys like flying a kite. It's really easy to do, it doesn't squeeze a guy too terribly hard, financially ('cept for a few coins, usually), and it keeps us going to the next one. After that's said and done, it's upgrade time.

Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    TTT ... Update Saturday 2/18/2012 ...

Please see Original Post (OP) at the top of this thread.

Album completed, last three coins needed, purchased.
    Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob - thanks for sharing your journey. All my small type collection is in slabs, but I really enjoy seeing a series collector's efforts. Maybe I'll do the same as you with Peace Dollars some day. image
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I cheated. I bought my set complete in a dansco album back around 1991for $299. I've since updated the set, attributed the VAMs and added more VAMs.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. My eye was drawn to the 1925-S too. That can be a tough one to find raw in good condition. From the photos the surfaces look pretty good.

What's the next project?

I started serious collecting with Peace Dollars too. I put together a Dansco, but then gradually went crazy and upgraded everything to a point where I don't dare tell my wife what I spent on some of them. Albums are fun in their own right. I moved to a Walker Half circulated Dansco set which I'm about 80% of the way through. I agree that it's fun to feel it getting heavier and it's fun to fill up holes without breaking the bank.
  • Options

<< <i>What's the next project? >>

Actually I started circulated Buffalo nickel collection, in an H.E Harris folder.
    Had to nic-a-date a few (5) , but I've filled 26 holes in the folder so far.

Also, keeping the existing plates spinning ... modern stuff.
    I'm looking forward to the release of Star Spangled Banner G$5 coins ... image

Bob

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What's the next project? >>

Actually I started circulated Buffalo nickel collection, in an H.E Harris folder.
    Had to nic-a-date a few (5) , but I've filled 26 holes in the folder so far.

Also, keeping the existing plates spinning ... modern stuff.
    I'm looking forward to the release of Star Spangled Banner G$5 coins ... image

Bob >>

I am planing on buying a bag or 3 of dateless buffs and doing nic-a-date with my son when he is a little older and filling in an album. Lots of fun and I will see if he has the collector bug early if he wants to fill the holes or just likes playing
  • Options
    TTT one more time ... Thanks for all of the comments and information shared.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file