Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Copper folks could you please give me your two cents worth?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you find the obverse left upper field lamination on this 1837 New York Merchant's Exchange ht-293 / Low-97 offensive image

Sorry for the slab scratches and haze image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not offensive at all.
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at all.

In fact, if you didn't point it out, I wouldn't have noticed it, without giving the coin a much closer look.

Has nice eye appeal, congrats!!
  • Options
    No , not at all , it lends character.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense taken
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thanks I was 99.9% leaning towards keeping it anyway, since these rarely come with any mint red as most examples are full medium to dark chocolate brown.

All as you can see are struck with very tired dies which result the rounded mushy lettering and wreath.

I just really needed that .1% input on the lamination.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at all, it's a really nice eye appealing token and that type of lamination is not distracting whatsoever.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not offensive, the toning tends to hide it.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Here's a lil info on the Great Fire of New York in 1835 .

The Great New York Fire was a conflagration that destroyed the New York Stock Exchange and most of the buildings on the southeast tip of Manhattan around Wall Street on December 16–17, 1835.

The fire began in the evening in a five-story warehouse at 25 Merchant Street at the intersection with Pearl Street between Hanover Square, Manhattan and Wall Street in the snow-covered city and was fed by gale-force winds blowing from the northwest towards the East River. With temperatures as low as −17 °F (−27 °C) and the East River frozen solid, firefighters had to cut holes in the ice to get water. Water then froze in the hoses and pumps. Attempts to blow up buildings in its path (a technique later regarded as counterproductive) were thwarted by a lack of gunpowder in Manhattan. Firefighters coming to help from Philadelphia said they could see signs of the fire there.

About 2 a.m. Marines returned with gunpowder from the Brooklyn Navy Yard and blew up buildings in the fire's path. By then it covered 50 acres, 17 blocks of the city, destroying between 530 and 700 buildings. The area is now reported as Coenties Slip in the south to Maiden Lane in the north and from William Street in the west to the East River. The losses were estimated at twenty million dollars, which, in today's value would be hundreds of millions. Only two people were killed. Insurance was not forthcoming because several insurance company headquarters burned, bankrupting those companies.

Many of the stores were new, with iron shutters and doors and copper roofs, and in burning presented the appearance of immense iron furnaces in full blast. The heat at times melted the copper roofing, and the liquid ran off in great drops. The gale blew towards the East River. Wall after wall was heard tumbling like an avalanche. Fiery tongues of flame leaped from roof and windows along whole streets, and seemed to be making angry dashes at each other. The water of the bay looked like a vast sea of blood. The bells rang for a while and then ceased. Both sides of Pearl Street and Hanover Square were at the same instant in the jaws of the hungry monster. An investigation did not assess blame and reported that the cause of the fire was a burst gas pipe that was ignited by a coal stove.

Since the fire occurred in the middle of an economic boom caused by the recent opening of the Erie Canal, the destroyed wooden buildings were quickly replaced by larger stone and brick ones that were less prone to widespread major fires. The fire also prompted construction of a new municipal water supply, now known as the Old Croton Aqueduct, and a reform and expansion of the fire service. As a result, this was the last great fire of New York. Still, the insurance companies who lost buildings in the fire decided rebuilding was not worth the risk, and moved operations to Hartford, Connecticut. Today, Hartford is still known as the "Insurance Capital of the World."

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks I was 99.9% leaning towards keeping it anyway, since these rarely come with any mint red as most examples are full medium to dark chocolate brown.

All as you can see are struck with very tired dies which result the rounded mushy lettering and wreath.

I just really needed that .1% input on the lamination. >>

As you said they rarely come with any mint red, that's the nicest I have seen.
    And HTT purists like yourself would have that in their own collection
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me likes....
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you find the obverse left upper field lamination on this 1837 New York Merchant's Exchange ht-293 / Low-97 offensive image >>

Nope! The eye isn't drawn to it at all. Quite pretty, really.

Thanks for the history lesson on the Great Fire in downtown NYC. My dad worked there as a tax attorney for 40 years. I spent a lot of time with him around the Pearl St area in the early 60's. In the mid 70's I worked at Federal Plaza, just a few blocks away, and worked afternoons in the World Trade Center. I'll never forget it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the other - not offensive and a nice coin
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a detraction or a distraction either. It's part of the coin.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks ok to me.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's minor so far as I'm concerned. That's a very nice example.

The only way it would be a problem is if the piece graded MS-65 or higher. It doesn't so the lamination is no problem.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>No, that's minor so far as I'm concerned. That's a very nice example.

The only way it would be a problem is if the piece graded MS-65 or higher. It doesn't so the lamination is no problem. >>

It's in a NGC MS63RB holder.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Nice HTT! Does not bother me a bit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file