Home Sports Talk
Options

What will happen with Pujols?

He gave the Cardinals a Spring Training deadline to get a deal done or else he's testing free agency, right? Well Spring Training is just a couple weeks away...

What do you guys think happens? And what about the contract he's going to get whenever he does sign!? image

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    With the Yankees and Red Sox (presumably) out of the running (since they have locked up franchise 1Bs), I'm not sure he's going to get the deal he hopes to get in free agency. I hope the Cardinals resign him.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Dear Albert,

The AL is much better suited for your superior skills.

That is all.

Sincerely,

The National League, especially the NL Central
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really think it can go either way. Nobody knows. For Cardinals fans, it is a waiting game. I hope they are able to sign him, but I hope they don't cripple the team doing it.

As far as the Yankees and Red Sox, if he reaches free agency, I think they will be players even though they have first base locked up. I cannot imagine Pujols in a Cubs uniform. image

Shane

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I hope he stays a Cardinal but if not then I hope he becomes a Dodger!
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    As longs as the Yanks do not sign him!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I think we may have room for him in San Francisco. We'll take him off the NL Central's hands. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    He aint going no where...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    If he doesn't sign in STL, he'll land in Seattle.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    I actually hope STL resigns him and thus kicks off a decade of ineptitude with Pujols and Holliday soaking up 50% of the team's payroll as their skills diminish into their late 30's. Carpenter is up for FA either at the end of this season or next ($15M club option for 2012), Yaddy is also up after this year or next ($7M club option for 2012), and Wainwright is due for a large raise after this year before becoming a FA after 2013....and Rasmus will begin the arbitration process after next year. So locking up Pujols will propel an even greater stars & scrubs roster construction that the Cards already employ where aside from Pujols, the infield will continue to be populated by hitters with putrid sub .400 SLG% (Freese .404, Molina .342, Schumaker .338, Theriot .283). Their farm system also ranked next to last #29 last season by BA, and has a chance to be dead last this season so that's good news as well. So really either way, the folks in red #5 t-shirts and jorts will inevitably be unhappy whether Pujols resigns or leaves in the end. The Cardinals would be smart to play this out as he isn't going to get the kind of money he wants for 8-10 years. Someone might go $30M per year for 5-7 years but I think that's about it without the Yanks or Red Sox getting involved. The Cubs have already learned their lesson with giving an aging slugger like Soriano a long term deal. The O's have all these new one year deals with D.Lee, Vlad, Hardy etc expiring at the end of the season along with Mike Gonzalez & Luke Scott's contracts up so BAL will have a ton of freed up salary...so if Pujols walks from STL, the O's are my guess.
  • Options
    I hope Pujols gets PAID. He's been the best player in the game for some time now and is still going strong. Yes, he is mortal and thus will one day slow down, but with guys like Ryan Howard pulling down $25 million a year there's no reason for him to settle for much less than that. Anything less is simply The Cardinals being disrespectful and unreasonable. He has been the face of that franchise and by all accounts is a stand up guy, I can't imagine them letting him slip away.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that the Cardinals can resign him for a lifetime contract. When you think of Cardinals your think of Pujols just like Stan Musial.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a Cardinal fan, but if Ryan Howard is getting 25M Pujols should get at least 35M. He is sooooooooooooooooo much better than Howard!!!!
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Me thinks he will remain in STL. image

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    what will happen ?? he will be out of work=deported
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    no worries here

Pujols SPOKE with Stan Musial, asking for his blessing is seeking a new contract...

Musial said get the money while you can, cuase after your playing career, your earning potential drops...

Pujols has NO intention of leaving the Cardinals.....he just wants to be respected by them, the way he respects the game

respect is about 8 years at $200 million i believe....
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no worries here

Pujols SPOKE with Stan Musial, asking for his blessing is seeking a new contract...

Musial said get the money while you can, cuase after your playing career, your earning potential drops...

Pujols has NO intention of leaving the Cardinals.....he just wants to be respected by them, the way he respects the game

respect is about 8 years at $200 million i believe.... >>

Archived.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no worries here

He gets more than that on the open market. If that is all he wants the Cards would have signed him by now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>no worries here

Archived. >>

Glad you archived that.

I thought according to Albert that, "this baseball thing means nothing. Only Jesus Christ means something."
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Based on current salaries he should be the highest paid player in mlb however St Louis will not offer that type of money.
    Cubs,Dodgers could probably take care of him where a first baseman could be used.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)