Home Metal Detecting
Options

2 silvers and relics

dug recently at same place i was at a few weeks back. last time i dug a religious medal that is very similar to this one. cant see a D on the merc yet.

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is a D on that Mercury you will have really had a great day. Looks to be a high grade with that strong a date.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that blue glass owl.

If I lived where you do, Brian, I'd be simultaneously thrilled and disappointed. Seems like your "demo" sites consistently produce a tantalizing array of artifacts and more coins than I find on such sites around here. Good coins, too. But our soil seems to be much kinder than yours is. That corrosion would break my heart. We get our share of "crusty critters" too but sometimes I'm truly amazed at how nice stuff is when it comes out of the dirt here, in well-drained sandy soil, anyway. I just wish I found as much cool old stuff as you did.

And yes, I would rather dig corroded old coins than NO old coins, so keep 'em beeping, man! image

PS- that Barber dime looks like it was pretty high grade when it was lost.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    There is a good reason why my stuff is crusty. Me and my friends have researched and found several dump locations accociated with the 1906 sf earthquake. Alot , if not most of the stuff have seen fire damage. These coins were cleaned with alluminum foil,vinegar and salt. Non silver items are cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and electrolysis. I also would rather dig old stuff over nothing. I prefer dumps because of the non metallic items found. There is also a higher chance of finding tokens and odd things

I have dug some awesome coins in higher grades at non dump sites. I've had the pleasure to dig a 1901s,1903s and 1904s dimes all in maybe VF. I've dug many seated coins that look great. The downside to living here, is the lower chance at finding the type of old stuff you might get. I am a collector of US large cents. Id love to dig them and other colonial coppers. I've never dug a large cent,bust coin or colonial unless you count reales.

I really like that colubian expo half you got awhile ago and those really old coins. I got an invite to a spot where several old seated and gold coins have been dug recently. I hope to post something from there soon.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like that colubian expo half you got awhile ago >>

It was an Oregon Trail, actually.

I like the sheer quantity of Seated stuff you've found. You've gotten a silver dollar or two as well, if I remember correctly?

I know where there is a 19th century dump site but it's like four or five feet under. The stuff is buried deep. And it's in the middle of a park, so I know they wouldn't let me dig that deep to get at the goodies. The one time I did, and the way I know the stuff is there, is that I helped an archaeological crew dig there once. The one trench we dug (really no bigger than a grave) produced an amazing array of artifacts. My favorite was a porcelain baby doll head. I've since found one of those on one of my relic hunting sites.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins Brian.. you did not mention the ring.. is it a gold/diamond ring? I hope there is a D on that dime... HH RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hope that 16 is a denver as well. are you going to try and clean them up some?