Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Purchase 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter to Grade

I recently purchased this coin as a mild upgrade on my dateles FR02 example. You can see the lower parts of the 9 and 6, and shadows of the other digits. It's definitely not a perfect coin, but it is nice to have one that at least has full rims. :-)

All coins kept in safety deposit box.

Comments

• Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Good 6
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I'd almost say it's got VG details, problem is, when the dates are that weak, they get pulled way down by the TPGs.. wouldn't be shocked if it came back FR/AG
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    G4/G6

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thought is G4.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good 6 or 4. Very weak date may punish it at a grading service.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Maybe I am missing something.. but how in the heck can a near dateless coin be good? It has to PO1 if the date is nearly not readable.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    g4
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i find it amazing a coin with such a low mintage circulated that long to get to a g-grade
    before someone recognized it as such.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    G-4
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I am missing something.. but how in the heck can a near dateless coin be good? It has to PO1 if the date is nearly not readable. >>

A 1916 quarter is readily identifiable even when completely dateless via other diagnostic criteria. According to your logic, how would you then account for all the different states of wear that can occur between a coin with the rims worn completely away, and the coin in the OP?

To SLQ guys, the 1916 is THE coin... they are revered even when almost smooth... by comparison, the OP coin, even though the date is almost ineligible, would like quite lovely in a circulated set.

Congrats on the pickup!
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I am missing something.. but how in the heck can a near dateless coin be good? It has to PO1 if the date is nearly not readable. >>

Its obvious you've never collected circulated standing liberty quarters prior to 1925 by that statement image Sometimes you need to look at the detail, not just the weakpoints of a coin/issue.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your comments! I agree with 4 or 6, depending on the graders. PCGS is tough on this date these days, so I dont see them going over 4. ANACS may give a 6 though.

Here is my PO1 example. :-D

• Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    G4 for me
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can't be graded any better than G00D-4 given the extreme wear on the date. I think it would be a tough sell at the Good level because of that.

It's a shame, because the coin is very choice for the grade otherwise.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rescued from circulation just in time. Nice!

I'd sell those dateless slugs to cover the cost.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PCGS would go G6 since it's THE key. image

I'm jealous. That's one of my "dream coins".
  • Options

<< <i>It can't be graded any better than G00D-4 given the extreme wear on the date. I think it would be a tough sell at the Good level because of that. >>

I think the price I paid was still decent in that case. It was $2075 shipped, which is closer to AG than G retail. Anywhere from G-4/6 I think it was a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    ANACS said AG-3. :-(
  • Options

<< <i>ANACS said AG-3. :-( >>

Ouch!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I actually like the coin - even as an AG 3 -
    and I was half expecting you to say you
    picked it out of a junk box of old silver.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Certified Dateless are bringing $1000 or so on eBay. A dated one, to me anyway, is much more desirable.
  • Options

<< <i>I actually like the coin - even as an AG 3 - and I was half expecting you to say you picked it out of a junk box of old silver. >>

LOL. Nope, I actually paid real money for this coin.

I must admit I'm upset with the grade, as I've done a ton of research beforehand on lower grade certified 1916 libs. This one compares all day long to the PCGS G-4 and G-6 examples in the Heritage archives. I am very much considering submitting to PCGS now.I sent it in at the same time I sent in my low grade example that I most recently found(It came back PO1 as expected). I'm wondering if sending 2 1916s at the same time may have biased them?

Here is a 1916 that a friend of mine found, and he received an AG3 from ANACS for comparison
  • Options
    You made only one mistake here... sending it to ANACS image (sorry... I have little to no respect for their opinion... if they told me the sun was shining at noon on a hot, cloudless summer day, I would look out the window to be certain)

Please don't make a second mistake by accepting their opinion...

Nice coin BTW! it is a shame how the SLQ's wear down around the date so severely.
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    I resubmitted this coin, and it regraded problem free G-4. I think that is a fair grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file