Home Sports Talk

Andy Pettitte Retiring

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
press conference is supposed to be Friday, according to various sports news sources. HOF-bound, IMO.

Comments

• Too bad, The Yanks coulda used some starting pitching help. Oh well. Hall Of Fame? I dunno...I think he's borderline case AT BEST and when you throw in his admitting P.E.D. use I just don't see it. Maybe others feel differently?

• << <i> HOF-bound, IMO. >>

As a paying patron like you or I.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    It is about time! He was a very very good pitcher and I will not miss seeing him pitch against the Sox.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    He has as much chance of making the HOF as I do.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good enough pitcher, to be sure, but guys with just two seasons under 3.27 for their ERA don't get in the HOF - even in this era. He's Jack Morris on a better team while throwing fewer innings. He's overrated as a postseason pitcher - 19-10, yes, but a 3.83 ERA including a 4.06 in the World Series, and was rarely in the discussion of top pitchers in baseball. Maybe in 1997 and 2005 and that's about it. Mix in the steroid stuff and, nah, he's not getting in.

Tabe
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    tip of the cap to a great player and one guy who came out of the scandal as a stand up guy imo...

• << <i>why is pettitte not vilified for his admitted HGH use? >>

Have you not read this thread? A few of us have already called him out.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>why is pettitte not vilified for his admitted HGH use? >>

America is VERY forgiving of it's celebrities who come clean and admit their mistakes. ITOH, America loves seeing its celebrities crash and burn.

Pettitte gets somewhat of a pass for being practically the only MLB player NOT to use some lame-ass B-12 shot excuse or outright denial.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

America is VERY forgiving of it's celebrities who come clean and admit their mistakes. ITOH, America loves seeing its celebrities crash and burn.

Pettitte gets somewhat of a pass for being practically the only MLB player NOT to use some lame-ass B-12 shot excuse or outright denial. >>

But Pettitte did make an excuse. Got hurt in one of his 1st appearances in Houston and he didn't want to let down the hometown team. So he only took a couple of shots and that's it.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>

<< <i>

Pettitte gets somewhat of a pass for being practically the only MLB player NOT to use some lame-ass B-12 shot excuse or outright denial. >>

But Pettitte did make an excuse. Got hurt in one of his 1st appearances in Houston and he didn't want to let down the hometown team. So he only took a couple of shots and that's it. >>

True, but he admitted using. That puts him miles ahead of most of that bunch, and is the reason for his PR rehab IMO
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    the came came clean about everything which landed his buddy Roger in hot water

<< <i>the came came clean about everything which landed his buddy Roger in hot water >>

That was a bonus in my book. image
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

But Pettitte did make an excuse. Got hurt in one of his 1st appearances in Houston and he didn't want to let down the hometown team. So he only took a couple of shots and that's it. >>

True, but he admitted using. That puts him miles ahead of most of that bunch, and is the reason for his PR rehab IMO >>

He admitted only after his name came up in the Mitchell (sp?) report.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always support local players but to act like he admitted on his on free will is simply revising history.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

True, but he admitted using. That puts him miles ahead of most of that bunch, and is the reason for his PR rehab IMO >>

Don't get me wrong, I'll always support local players but to act like he admitted on his on free will is simply revising history. >>

Where did I put ANY qualifiers on his admission? I didn't ACT like anything; I simply said he admitted it,
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Agree with those that say he ain't gettin in.. he ain't

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
    If we're going to trash Pettite, there's always the fun rumors about the REAL reason he went to Houston...

Tabe

<< <i>Agree with those that say he ain't gettin in.. he ain't >>

I have to agree, but he will get some votes.

• << <i>Agree with those that say he ain't gettin in.. he ain't >>

sure he will, they won't deny him admission if he pays to get in - the same price we all pay - I paid to get in just last year and have a ticket to prove it

<< <i>If we're going to trash Pettite, there's always the fun rumors about the REAL reason he went to Houston...

Tabe >>

Do tell.....
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>He has as much chance of making the HOF as I do. >>

Actually, you have a much better chance than he does.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Don't get me wrong, I'll always support local players but to act like he admitted on his on free will is simply revising history. >>

Where did I put ANY qualifiers on his admission? I didn't ACT like anything; I simply said he admitted it, >>

Where? Look at your quoted posts above. Again, he did admit it only after getting caught. That doesn't put him miles ahead of anyone nor does he get a pass.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Where did I put ANY qualifiers on his admission? I didn't ACT like anything; I simply said he admitted it, >>

Where? Look at your quoted posts above. Again, he did admit it only after getting caught. That doesn't put him miles ahead of anyone nor does he get a pass. >>

Sigh, I should know by now that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink..

First off, I'm about the hardest guy on the know users of anyone in my circle of baseball nuts, so let's dispense with the silliness that I ma giving anyone a pass. My point is that, of all the known users, he's just about the only one that admitted ANYTHING about using intentionally. Whether you agree or not, that is going to cast him in a different light than the other users. It's a moot point, since I don't think he's likely to be considered HOF-worthy by enough voters to make it an issue, but I do think it will be less of an issue in voters' minds due to his admission, regardless of the circumstances of it.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

If he was to get in he would have the highest ERA of any pitcher.

<< <i>

<< <i>If we're going to trash Pettite, there's always the fun rumors about the REAL reason he went to Houston...

Tabe >>

Do tell..... >>

Seems Mr. Pettite had, um, a "friend" in New York that his wife preferred he were a long way away from.

Tabe

<< <i>Sigh, I should know by now that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink..

First off, I'm about the hardest guy on the know users of anyone in my circle of baseball nuts, so let's dispense with the silliness that I ma giving anyone a pass. My point is that, of all the known users, he's just about the only one that admitted ANYTHING about using intentionally. Whether you agree or not, that is going to cast him in a different light than the other users. It's a moot point, since I don't think he's likely to be considered HOF-worthy by enough voters to make it an issue, but I do think it will be less of an issue in voters' minds due to his admission, regardless of the circumstances of it. >>

You can use all the cliches you want but I'm responding to your own words in context. You're the one that claimed "Pettitte gets somewhat of a pass", even though now you're saying that's silliness. He's not just about the only one to admit taking steroids, regardless of how many times you say it. And it's your opinion that Pettitte will be cast in a different light; others, like myself, don't see it that way.

Steroids will always be a touchy subject when it comes to HOF inductions but don't confuse your opinions as being facts.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He also seemed very contrite and open about his his PED use and that is why people are willing to give him a pass on that. His honesty also exposed that tool The Rocket as a methodical cheater and that's a bonus, too, LOL...not HOF worthy but he will certainly get some votes (personally, I don't think he's much less worthy than Catfish Hunter) and the 5 rings were also quite impressive.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>He also seemed very contrite and open about his his PED use and that is why people are willing to give him a pass on that. >>

BINGO!

Give that man a cigar!

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    He will be pitching in October...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...

<< <i>He will be pitching in October... >>

You're not alone in thinking that way.

Tabe
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    October---Probably.
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't say I'd vote him into the HOF, but any pitcher whose record is 100 games over .500 deserves consideration.

<< <i>

<< <i>He also seemed very contrite and open about his his PED use and that is why people are willing to give him a pass on that. >>

BINGO!

Give that man a cigar!

image >>

Hey!! That's all I was saying and you kept disagreeing with me!!! WTH??
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Good pitcher; high ERA, certainly helps playing for winning teams image
    The steroids aside, didnt he leave NY due to rumors/allegations of a mistress. For such a devout Christian (born again?) he may be taking the biblical interpretation of marriage too far image

<< <i>

<< <i>

BINGO!

Give that man a cigar!

image >>

Hey!! That's all I was saying and you kept disagreeing with me!!! WTH?? >>

No, you didn't. If that's all you said, I would have been in complete agreement with you.