Home Sports Talk
Options

NCAA Tourney Talk

Ok, I know it's a tad early but I love the NCAA tourney so much more than the Super Bowl thought I would throw it out there for discussion. UCLA is on the bubble. Hope they improve. My wife and I are going to the first round games out in Charlotte this year. Have never been to a college hoops game out there so should be fun. I hope a team, or two, I like get sent there! Is your team "in" or on the bubble or waiting for next year?

Comments

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Wish I could attend one of the tourney games....will probably settle for the MAC championship which will take place at the Q here in cleveland.....love that time of year.....in fact I am in luck this year since a friend of mine recently moved to Vegas so I will more than likely be in touch with him for some action.......al.
  • Options
    Tampa is hosting the first and second rounds so I may try and make a game or two, especially if there are big matchups. My schools team sucks though. Big East doormat when it comes to basketball image We're already looking forward to baseball season down here.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Bubbles are starting to burst. I love the next few weeks of college basketball.
  • Options
    Here is my son's sleeper pick for final four: St. Johns. Let's get the discussion started!!!
  • Options
    Here is my son's sleeper pick for final four: St. Johns. Let's get the discussion started!!!

Lavin was always a good tourney coach at UCLA and St. John's has a ton of seniors so it is not the craziest cinderella pick.

I like Washington as a "cinderella." Currently projected to be a 7 seed but I expect them to pick up their game like they were playing early in the year.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is my son's sleeper pick for final four: St. Johns. Let's get the discussion started!!! >>

They've been a giant killer all season long, so I could see it happening.
  • Options
    my son's thoughts are they will probably not be seeded real high but have the capability to do some damage.......he's also partial to Cleveland State and Ohio State but that's due to our being here on the North Coast.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Sad to say that I don't think UCLA or any team out of the west really has any hopes this year.

brian
  • Options
    Sad to say that I don't think UCLA or any team out of the west really has any hopes this year.

UCLA is an interesting situation. 3 or 4 players could leave early but they aren't great players. Mostly 2nd round draft pick types. However, if they stay one more year UCLA should be top 10 next year. I saw a Times article the other suggesting they all could leave. I hope not.
  • Options
    Bman-
    I hope you watched that UCLA game. They looked good.

Great moment when Wooden's great grandson got a garbage time put back.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who gets in from the Big 10?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Who gets in from the Big 10?

The current ESPN Bracketology has 5 with Minny just missing. I just don't see how Illinois and Michigan State get in. Michigan State is now 16-12 after getting blown out today. Wisky is their only good win. Ijust don't see how they get in. Illinois is like 17-11 with two decent wins (UNC and Wisky).

Obviously the big 3 in the Big 10 get in but I don't see why these others get in.
  • Options
    Now the latest ESPN Bracketology also has Michigan getting in at 18-12 (8-9 in conference). Really!? I realize I am WEST coast bias but that's silly. Plus UCLA still not in the top 25 and now projected as an 8 seed!? I can't believe UCLA is not getting more love.
  • Options
    Not to stir up the Mich St fans but I also don't believe they should go this year.....NIT maybe. They just haven't been that good. However that said they probably will get in and all we will be hearing is story after story of how they always perform in the tournament, should have been there....killer schedule....please I think I'm getting sick..... al.
  • Options
    Well sure Michigan does have some big wins this year:

RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
    304 Nov. 13 USC Upstate 66-35
    252 Nov. 18 Bowling Green 69-50
    263 Nov. 21 Gardner-Webb 80-58
    269 Dec. 14 North Carolina Central 64-44
    254 Dec. 23 Bryant University 87-71
  • Options
    Michigan State is probably one of the best NCAA Tournament teams of the last 20 years- I suspect there are probably on maybe two temas that have won more NCAA Tournment games than MSU during this time

I think there are some bubble teams- in the conference- not sure how it will all go. I will predict 5 possible 6 get bids

OSU
    Purdue
    Wisconsin
    Illinois

the Big Ten tournament will determine who else gets in

• Options
    No doubt Michigan State has been one of the best tourney teams the last 20 years but this is 2010-2011 and that's all that should matter. They are a marginal team THIS SEASON. As stated above the current ESPN Bracketology shows 6 Big 10 teams going and I think that is 3 too many this season.
  • Options
    lets wait until the tournament and see what happens

• Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Illinois will likely get in. They have Indiana at home on Saturday and should finish the regular season at 19-12 (9-9 in conference), with wins over UNC, Wisconsin and Gonzaga (in Seattle). They have two really bad losses (Indiana and UIC), but the soft bubble and increase in # of teams gets them in.

OSU, Wisky and Purdue are in. Illinois is likely in. I think Michigan State gets in as well. They play Iowa at home tonight (payback game) and at Michigan Saturday. If they can pull off both they'll finsih 10-8 in the conference which definitely gets them in. If they beat Iowa, which they should, I think they're in. A win at Ann Arbor would be icing on the cake.

And, if I hear one more person say that Minnesota is "on the bubble", I'll puke. They are 6-10 in conference and have lost 8 of their last 9.

Ohio State and Purde are playing extremely well right now. I think people are starting to realize Purdue is a great team even without Hummell. Johnson and Moore are incredible players. Both teams are extremely balanced and capable of making deep tourney runs. Pitt is another team who could make some noise. The other Big East teams just seem too inconsistent to advance far (Villanova, Syracuse, etc). ND and St. John's are interesting teams, but I just don't see them advancing far. BYU and SDSU - who knows?? LarryAllen - seems like Arizona is playing well out of the P10.

Should make for an interesting tournament.
  • Options
    Sheamaster-
    Yes, the "experts" at ESPN agree about Minny being OFF the bubble. They have Michigan on it now.

Michigan [18-12 (8-9), RPI: 59, SOS: 22] Goodbye, Minnesota. Hello, Michigan. The Watch is making the obvious call after Michigan's big win at Minnesota on Sunday. At 17-12 (8-9 Big Ten) and with that solid strength of schedule figure, the Wolverines are clearly deserving of at-large consideration. But make no mistake: With a serious lack of top-50 victories, this team still has business to attend to. Fortunately, its only remaining regular-season opportunity is a golden one. On Saturday, Michigan hosts archrival Michigan State, and if UM wins there to complete a sweep, Wolverines fans would have the dual pleasure of seeing their surprising young team play its way on the right side of the bubble while at the same time tossing their archrival's outlook into serious jeopardy. It's been awhile since Crisler Arena hosted a game with a lot on the line. Saturday certainly qualifies.

As for out west, they now have UCLA as a "lock" which is obvious to me with wins over St. John's, BYU and AZ. As for AZ they were playing great until last weekend in LA. Presumably they will right the ship this weekend with the Oregon schools visiting them.

It is time... just formed my pool today on Yahoo. Love this time of year!
  • Options
    little off topic but still basketball....my son's high school team starts tournament action tonight here in Ohio against Midpark (8 seed). Son's a junior and plays for Valley Forge (10 seed). Didn't have a great year, only four wins and they are going against a higher seed tonight. Their reward if they win is a chance to play Revere which ended season with only one loss....showcase player for them is Larry Nance's son who is a senior on that team. Go Forge!!!
  • Options
    In thinking about the NCAA Tournament, I think every team in the Big Ten has made to the final four- except Northwestern- and Penn State made it but before they were in the conference

• Options
    Tough break for BYU. I am glad they have the courage to enforce their rules (however, trivial some of their rules may seem to me) but dang that's a tough break. Ok, back to my cup of coffee....
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    As it stands now, we're on track to get a 5-6 seed, but if we can win our conference tournament, then MAYBE we can squeak in a 4.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    UNC is picking up momentum....
  • Options
    It seems possible and even likely that 6 teams from the Big Ten get in- unless there is something out of the ordinary that happens at the tournament

• Options
    ESPN still predicting the Big 10 to get 6 teams in including 17-13 Michigan State. I don't get it. I don't care how good they have been in the past. However, with the slightly expanded tourney this year the last couple teams are going to be pretty marginal. Not saying Michigan State can't win a game. Just saying at 17-13 I am not impressed with their body of work.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I was flipping channels last night and watched AxMen on the History Channel and also the St. Mary's game on ESPN2. After some careful comparison, I am now convinced the actors were the same on both channels. I have never seen more dramatically undersized bearded white guys playing basketball at the same time before. Seriously, who in college has a beard? and why would you keep it if you were an athlete....wierd...
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I have never seen more dramatically undersized bearded white guys playing basketball at the same time before. Seriously, who in college has a beard? and why would you keep it if you were an athlete....wierd...

No kidding! I watched the same game. That bearded guard for St. Mary's was playing pretty well with that little one legged runner/floater shot. I think it's the Nor Cal look. My alma mater, Sonoma State, has very similar looking guys.
  • Options

<< <i>As it stands now, we're on track to get a 5-6 seed, but if we can win our conference tournament, then MAYBE we can squeak in a 4. >>

Correction, with us now in 15th place in the AP poll we're now on track to get a 4. If we win the SEC Tournament, we could easily upgrade to a 3.

And BTW, we won our last championship as a 2 seed. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>I have never seen more dramatically undersized bearded white guys playing basketball at the same time before. Seriously, who in college has a beard? and why would you keep it if you were an athlete....wierd...

No kidding! I watched the same game. That bearded guard for St. Mary's was playing pretty well with that little one legged runner/floater shot. I think it's the Nor Cal look. My alma mater, Sonoma State, has very similar looking guys. >>

in a similar vein, my son and I were watching the LIU/Robert Morris game yesterday and noticed that several of the players looked like they were in their middle 30's, you know the Greg Oden look....bearded guys, old looking guys...a little of everything.....
  • Options

<< <i> Seriously, who in college has a beard? >>

Beards aren't all that uncommon around here. Just thinking about it real quick, I'd say roughly half of my friends normally grow something that one can maybe consider a beard image

To be honest, I probably would too if I could... instead I get told I look like Justin Bieber.... imageimage
  • Options
    Agree that the Beiber look isn't a thing to want......and don't believe that every 13 year old swoons for him....my daughter could care less. Now if you mentiion Grady Siezmore that's another issue......
  • Options
    LarryAllen: I agree MSU is questionable, but why single out the Spartans? There are others that appear unworthy as well. Compare MSU to Tennessee, as example:

Tennessee (18-13, 8-8) They have a strong strength of schedule and a road win at Pitt. But they also lost home games to Oakland (yes, I know MSU only beat them by one point) and College of Charleston, and at Charlotte. They lost to Kentucky twice and Florida twice. Not overly impressive either. SI has them as a 6 seed (not sure where ESPN projects them).

• Options
    but why single out the Spartans?

Just because people were talking about the Big 10 so trying to keep it on point. I am not a Big 10 or MSU hater. In fact, I applaud them on having a good team and a good program. On the point of the Big 10 I think Michigan and MSU are border line bubble teams... especially MSU as they are not doing anything special. I realize the tourney is expanded this year so my definition of a bubble team has to change a little.

• Options
    Shea-
    When you get to the bubble teams obviously they each have pros and cons about them. UT has beat 7 RPI top 50 teams and MSU has beat 3 of them. They each have one loss at RPI 150+. Charleston, FYI, is 76th on the RPI so is not a "bad" loss. With RPI in mind I think UT is a better candidate. I am not saying RPI is perfect but it's a nationally used numbering system so it must have some value. Having said that either UT or MSU could easily win a few games in the tourney. Seeing either of them in the sweet 16 would not surprise me as they both have potential. They are certainly two interesting teams to compare.

Being a Pac 10 homer I wonder how USC compares to the above two. They have 5 RIP top 50 wins but 3 RPI 150+ losses. If SC beats Cal today I think they are going to be pushing very close to being in. Will be interested to see how it all plays out. They have also won 5 out of their last 6 games. MSU is 3 and 3 in their last 6. UT is also 3 and 3 during that time frame.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    As a Michigan fan, I have watched many games of theirs this year. They're good enough to give a game to anyone (see Kansas and OSU), but just didn't see capable of getting over that hump early on. Over the last 11, this team has been very good though. They're .500 (9/9) in a solid conference. They started 1-6 in the conference. They have a top 20 schedule, yet that doesn't mean too much when they only beat a 2-3 solid teams out-of-conference. I think a win tomorrow cements it, but they should be in regardless IMO. I think MSU should really need 2 wins as1 win in the BTT will be against Iowa, the 10th team in the B10. If they manage to get in, it's because most of the small teams that were suppose to win their conference tourney did... or reputation.
  • Options
    Charleston, FYI, is 76th on the RPI so is not a "bad" loss.

Losing to College of Charleston on your home floor is definitely a "bad" loss. Looks like MSU escaped Iowa and will likely get in. I think they were out with another loss to Iowa.
  • Options
    I think they were out with another loss to Iowa.

I agree.
  • Options
    LarryAllen - Looks like your Bruins took a tough one against Oregon - good thing they had some breathing room to get in. Looks like USC is playing their way in. Not sure where Cal stood, but they appear to have played their way out. Now I just hope Oregon loses, as I don't want to see them take a spot from a more deserving team.

Illinois/Michigan game today is big game for both teams. MI can play their way into tourney with win. I think IL is in but can remove any doubt and possibly improve their seed with win. Michigan is playing well, but if Illinois is hitting their shots they should win. I don't see Sparty hanging with Purdue today - they were sloppy against Iowa and the Boilers can make you pay. Sullinger should eat Northwestern for lunch, although they hung with them in Evanston.

Should be an interesting day.
  • Options
    UCLA is playing perfectly into my plan... come in unranked, hopefully get a 7 or a 10 seed (currently ESPN predicts a 7) and hopefully in Charlotte (which is current prediction on ESPN) since I am going to the games there. image UCLA is not great and is not going to hoist banner #12 this year but they could easily win a couple games.

ESPN has an article today that currently, according to them, Michigan State is the last team to get in. I think they need at least 1 win to feel safe.

As for Oregon winning... well, my wife is a Duck alum so I have to root for them to win the Pac 10 tourney and get in!
  • Options
    Huge comeback win for Michigan. Very happy with their effort after being down late. Northwestern takes OSU to OT, before finally falling.
  • Options
    Big win for Michigan - pretty much guarantees their ticket into the dance. I think Illinois and MI are both in - but if it came down to one or the other - you'd have to take Michigan. MI outscored IL 20-4 the last 9 minutes. The Michigan program appears to be on the rise.
  • Options
    disaster for Illinois today- They may have just played their way out of the tournament- Big Ten may get 5 instead of 6

• Options
    Absolutely Coin - looks like PSU and MI are playing their way in ahead of Illinois...should be an interesting Sunday.
  • Options
    I don't see Penn State ahead of Illinois unless they beat MSU- AS we all know the MSU BB schedule does not start until March anyway- MSU is in- UM is in and Penn State likely is not

Had Illinois loss by 1 or 2 in a hard fought game, they would be in- I think the box score and the recap is their worst enemy at this point- How do you explain the last 7 minutes of the game and expect an invitation?

• Options
    Espn still shows six big 10 teams. Msu sealed it's case by beating purdue I think.

Who will the number ones be? Osu, Pitt, Kansas and ... ?

I am ready to see who goes where.
  • Options
    I am ready as well. This time of year can be exciting. Can be brutal, too, as sometimes teams perceived to be a lock bite the selection committee bullet. I will believe Michigan is in when I see it. They still don't have a monster win. Their saving grace should be their late season run and hopefully the Illinois win punched their ticket, but... image
  • Options
    After that very convincing win in the SEC Tournament Final against Florida, I thought we could maybe sneak in as a 3 seed, but it looks like we'll have to settle for a 4 seed (yet Florida gets a 2 image ). I'm sure we'll make quick work of Princeton, and I'm sure we'll be eager for revenge against West Virginia (let's remember how to shoot 3's this time...). But the next weekend we definitely got our work cut out for us! We did just barely miss beating North Carolina earlier this year, so they should be a doable challenge in the Regional Final, though we must get through the top overall seed (Ohio State) first, and to say that will be a TOUGH job is an understatement. But I know we can do it! We're peaking at just the right time and I know we can do it!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    some good first round match ups- MSU-UCLA and UNLV and Illinois