Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

A nice PSA set registry story...

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a friend name Keith and he collects the 1992 French's Mustard baseball cards. Well he is virtually the only person collecting his set, as he has to make (Grade) his own cards. He noticed the other day that someone posted a remark at the bottom of his set. The Guy basically stated that Keith has the Chris Sabo card he has been looking for, a PSA 8.5. He has the #1 Sabo master set and is only 2 cards away from completing it with a perfect rating (Not PSA 10, but no available pop higher cards). His Mustard card is a PSA 8.0. This Guy never made an offer for the card nor did he ask Keith to sell it. Now Keith really is a Guy who has become attached to his cards. He has never sold one at all. But he decided that this Guy's set is sooooo close to completion that Keith sent him an e-mail and asked him if he would like to swap cards. The Guy offered to send him a few $$$, but Keith said it wasn't necessary, and that he wanted to help him in his set.

I think its great that 2 guys can work together for the sport of collecting.

I wish a lot of people could be like this...

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to hear of experiences like this.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    That is a good story, and what this hobby is really all about.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>That is a good story, and what this hobby is really all about. >>

I absolutely agree.
    Keith
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yep it is. I think the Sabo guy posts in the other forum, name eludes me, talon something.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    OneFastTalon is screen name

That's an awesome story. I was looking at his Sabo set a couple weeks ago. I have a Hershiser set, and always have to look out for higher pops than what I have...
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice story. Trading cards in the registry can be fun and helpful. I've worked out a few trades in the past where I was able to upgrade my focus set (1969) by trading with others who had PSA 9s of that set and wanted to trade for my PSA 9s of a set they were focused on building in higher grade. I got to upgrade to 9s by trading away 8's and downgrade non focus sets to 8s by swapping out 9s for the 9s I most wanted. That way both can maintain their sets in 8 or better while upgrading the one they want to get in the highest grade.
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Trading cards with other registry owners is a great way to help others, and build non-focused sets. I traded a number of 1of1 PSA10's to the #1 set owner (so that he could get closer to a perfect grade) for cards to help me with my birth year set. He received the cards he needed, and I received a huge boost to my '61 set!

Great thread Paul!
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story...image

That is what this hobby is all about. Good old fashioned trading.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Fantastic Karma!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Yep, Keith is a total stranger to me... so imagine my surprise when I got the email/offer!

Since then, Keith and I have traded several emails back and forth... and I'm forever grateful and hope I can return the favor one day.
    He plans to attend the National this year as do I. Hopefully I run into Keith, and can at least buy him a beer (or whatever) to say 'Thanks' again!

Thanks for posting the story Stooge... Keith is deff a great collector and even better person.

-Russ

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith is coming to visit me in Rockford, and we will both be attending the show. It will be his first major show and my 4th as I have attended a couple of major coin shows. We will certainly get together for a drink and hit the bourse floor.

I'm glad things worked out for the both of you.

Paul.

Later, Paul.