Home U.S. Coin Forum

1803 Draped Bust Cent

skier07skier07 Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is this coin real? Do you think it would slab?

Sorry for the subpar photos but they're getting better.

Thanks

Bruce

Comments

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the coin is real, but there are others who are far more knowledgeable.

I do not think it will slab (unless it's some extremely rare variety). Surface issues/porosity is the reason, IMO.

But why submit it? Probably more valuable raw, considering the expense to have it slabbed.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    yes and yes

www.brunkauctions.com

• TevaTeva Posts: 830
    It looks real enough also looks aggressively cleaned.
    Maybe a dug coin? Someone could probably type it if you had
    better images.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks real to me. Wont slab due to environmental damage.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • IMO, yes and VG 8/10
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks genuine to me. I've seen a lot worse planchets on lower grade early copper cents.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Yes it's real, and yes it will slab.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes it's real, and it may or may not slab, but I like it as a raw coin.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    It might be blasphemy on here... but...

Don't the EAC people like em raw anyways?
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Yes, genuine .... with not unusual wear and surface marks for the grade. Mostl likely cleaned and recolored some time ago. It would not slab with a straight grade. Consdider leaving it raw. Save some time and money. The coin will be much more intersting in the raw.
  • I think there is a 50/50 chance it will slab at PCGS.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A buyer or collector of this coin should not need any slab for either verification or conditional status of this piece.
    This coin should be stored properly and if this is done it will be enjoyed by generations of collectors to come.
    Then again, if you don't know much about the coin or collecting in general, you may need a plastic slab to
    store the coin in till it ends up in a collectors hands somewhere down the line. Of course a dealer may choose to
    have this coin slabbed for easier sale because a large portion of people who buy coins like this are not really
    knowledgeable collectors, just people with a passing interest in collecting "something" and need that backside
    pat that a slab offers so their lack of knowledge doesn't bite them in their wallets.

Now I really enjoyed saying all that image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I give it a shot at slabbing. From the pics it's hard to tell if it's been cleaned. If not, then it will likely slab.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the Yes/Yes crowd.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It might be blasphemy on here... but...

Don't the EAC people like em raw anyways? >>

Most EAC people do like their coins raw, but most EAC people don't post here. I'm an EAC member of long standing, but I'm a mavrick. I used to dislike slabs, but then I saw the financial handwriting on the wall and accepted them.

When I consign coins to the EAC auction, they are raw. I've made coins raw a couple of times to consign them if you follow my drift. But I don't consign items that often.

I'm not toally sure that this will grade because it has some dark corrosion. But the chances of it grading are probably better than 50-50.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback.

The coin looks much better in hand with more appealing surfaces and it doesn't look overly porous.

The only reason I would consider slabbing it is for resale purposes. For the time being I'll just leave it alone
    and try to take better pictures.

Bruce

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file