Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does the "Blue Book" serve any legitmate purpose today?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
If so, what is it?

Over the weekend I was at a chain book store and saw 2011 editions of the Red Book and the Blue Book. The Red Book has much more information in it than the Blue Book and it is a great reference tool for people who want to learn basic information about US Coins and the history of same.

While looking at the 2011 Red Book, I also took a peek at the Blue Book and put it down quickly.

Do any dealers set their buy prices from the Blue Book? If not, what purpose does it serve?

Comments

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    It's still around?

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    of course....that is the price that the really good coin shops pay
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    nope
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    It's actually quite popular.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    is it popular because a price guide with low prices for most material is a good reference
    to have on hand when buying from a less savvy seller?

and naturally the price guide with overly high prices is great to have on hand when
    selling and showing the potential customer the value of their intended purchase...

i see it in other hobbies too. multiple price guides for different situations and people.

• Options
    Can anyone name any reputable buyers that use it?
  • Options

<< <i>If so, what is it?

Over the weekend I was at a chain book store and saw 2011 editions of the Red Book and the Blue Book. The Red Book has much more information in it than the Blue Book and it is a great reference tool for people who want to learn basic information about US Coins and the history of same.

While looking at the 2011 Red Book, I also took a peek at the Blue Book and put it down quickly.

Do any dealers set their buy prices from the Blue Book? If not, what purpose does it serve? >>

Most dealers I do business with use Greysheet for pricing.
  • Options
    I bought a blue book last summer, and haven't looked at it once. Waste of $10.

Red Book for general reference, greysheet for pricing.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could buy the coins that I want for Blue Book prices.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

The Red Book and the Blue Book are both a joke.........

The Red Book is an "OK" reference for newbies. Anyone seriously into this hobby can obtain much better reference guides for most mainstream coins.

The Blue Book is a total waste of money by any measure.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone name any reputable buyers that use it? >>

It's on the counter right by the cash register of the coin shop about four blocks from the rest home in a nearby city.

As close as I can come to saying where and not violate the rules at the top of the page.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It lets someone with NO idea of coins what is a key date is compaired to a common date.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far as I’m concerned the Blue Book has been less than useless for as long as I’ve been a collector, which is over 50 years. I’ve not looked at the thing in a bookstore for couple years. The last time I looked it, very little had changed. The coverage for grades, and the prices listed were, shall we put this politely, of extreme advantage to the dealer – buyer. Let’s face it when you have two grade columns, “Good” and “Fine” in an area like early large cents, what do think is going to happen to the unlucky person who comes through the door with a coin that grades VF or EF? In addition that the numbers listed are already super low, and that's putting it mildly.

The worthlessness of the Blue Book is demonstrated by the collector prices for old Blue Books. With the exception of the first edition, which does not sell for a fortune, the rest are not worth the value of the paper inside their covers.

The Blue Book is great if you are looking to rip somebody off. And it does have a cousin, the Green Book, published by some other firm that is even worse. It only has one column labeled “value.” Otherwise it’s sort of an embarrassment to the dealer community IMO.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I don't think I have ever heard of, or actually have seen anyone pull a price from it. Greysheets, always.
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell
  • Options

<< <i>Let’s face it when you have two grade columns, “Good” and “Fine” in an area like early large cents, >>

Two grade columns? Great Longacre's Ghost, Bill, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a Blue Book from a recent decade!

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Red Book and the Blue Book.

Maybe one day the “White Book” will come out. It will have prices we wish we could buy for, and others we could sell for.
  • Options
    Then there's the Rose-Colored-Glasses Book, which lists prices that are obscene and shocking, shocking, I tell you when the other guy offers them, but are quite fair and tidy and businesslike when I offer them.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Let’s face it when you have two grade columns, “Good” and “Fine” in an area like early large cents, >>

Two grade columns? Great Longacre's Ghost, Bill, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a Blue Book from a recent decade! >>

Well maybe the last time I looked was in the 1990s, but I still thought it was in this decade. image

At any rate I'd still wager that the prices in it are beyond low.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Wow! Are you suggesting there will be a 3-D version soon? Or maybe a holographic edition...?

What a spectacular anouncement.....Oh, uh...sorry...he didn't really say that....just got carried away with super bowl spill-over hype.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    From a local dealers website... notice last word:

General Price Guides:

Cents from 1880 to 1909: Common - Value from $.50 to $10 each.
    Cents from 1909 to 1916 with a "D" or "S" under the date:
    $.50 to hundreds of dollars.
    Cents from 1916 to present date: Common - Value a few cents each.

Nickels must be before 1938 to have value from $.25 and up.
    Nickels after 1938 with the exception of the 1950-D are very common.
    The 1950-D is valued at $5.

Dimes, Quarters, and Halves before 1965 are valued at three times face minimum.
    All after 1964 are common and just valued at the face value.

Dollars before 1936 are $6 each and up.

Two headed or two tailed coins are novelty coins that are produced outside of the mint. They are interesting and fun but have no collector value.

For a detailed, individual date valuation, we recommend the Bluebook.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember like in 1963 dealers would pay blue book prices and sell for red book prices.

Does anyone else remember this.

Today there is like hundreds of places to find coin prices. Most of them are wrong.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see the blue book i leave. theres absolutly no use for it here and i never will have a use for it. jmho image
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    The Blue Book can be a useful reference point (not the final say, but a reference point) for raw coins. There's more risk in buying a raw coin. For example, a dealer may miss evaluating an area of very light cleaning or some other problem, often when lighting conditions are less than ideal and the traffic is bustling on a bourse floor. Referencing the lower Blue Book values as the lowest end in buying raw coins helps take some of the risk into account with somewhat lower offers. The offers are almost always well above Blue Book, but it helps to put in a bottom price.

Like almost everyone else, I use greysheet for average to above average PCGS/NGC certified coins where much of the risk of buying raw coins is alleviated.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was a kid I bought them because they were cheaper than the redbook.

It wasnt until much later that it made my coins seem worth less money.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year I walked into a shop in NYC and when showing some coins was shown the "dealer buy prices" in the bluebook.

I asked if dealers really can buy coins for those prices. He said SURE!

So I pulled out my checkbook wrote out a $10,000 check to his astonished eyes and told him to buy me 2 of the same type of coin I was selling for the $8500 they both together listed for. The $1,500 left over I told him to keep.

Strangely he was not able to take my offer, and with that I walked out.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how what I thought would be a thread that would generate 2-3 replies, we are now on page 2 with 20+ replies so far.

I remember going to a B&M years ago with coins I was considering selling. The shop owner pulled out the blue book and commented that his buy prices are usually 50% back of what is listed in his book, but that if the coin was really nice, he would consider upping his buy price to as much as 20% back of what was listed in his book.

Needless to say, I walked out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file