Real or Fake ?

EBaY # 290528104978

Comments

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Obvious fake.

Russ, NCNE
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    What are the tell tale signs of it being a fake? Not having much experience in this design and comparing it to some pictures I've seen it doesn't look bad.

Thanks for the lesson!
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Great Southern Fakes
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What are the tell tale signs of it being a fake? Not having much experience in this design and comparing it to some pictures I've seen it doesn't look bad.

Thanks for the lesson! >>

I have no idea. I just wanted to be first. image

Might be real, but tooled. Hair looks funky.

Russ, NCNE
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am interested in reading how you know this is a fake.
  • IMHO, it doesn't look right. As Russ stated if it is real it has been heavily worked. I would stay away.

Tom
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, the hair separations and wing feathers look a little too surrealistic to be original. I've often wondered why this seller seldom, if ever, lists any certified coins, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean that they are counterfeit. I seem to recall a couple members here saying in the past that they've had good dealings with him though, but unless you're an expert on that series, I'd be careful. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to wonder why a coin like this is still raw.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    My guess is that the coin is genuine, but has been screwed with in some way(s), as have the images.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best case, heavily retooled, worst case, outright fake - and I suspect the latter. Hard for me to qualify the telltale signs - I guess having seen a number of genuine ones, this just doesn't look 'right' - may be surrealistic, like thisnamztaken stated. Not sure which problem it has, but I don't eat food that smells bad, even though I don't know for sure what's wrong with it, and I don't buy coins that look bad, either image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Tooled hair. Very commonly done by collectors 1880-1920 era. I once saw a collection of large cents all
    bizarrely worked over.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tooled hair. Very commonly done by collectors 1880-1920 era. I once saw a collection of large cents all
    bizarrely worked over. >>

Yes, the coin appears to be genuine, but hair lines re-tooled. And also I believe the coin was polished at one point,
    then artificially darkened, and then lightened again on the high points.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess is that the coin is genuine, but has been screwed with in some way(s), as have the images. >>

I have copied this reply onto my clipboard where I will keep it for the next thread on this seller so that I can beat Mark to the punch. image
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Tooled hair. Very commonly done by collectors 1880-1920 era. I once saw a collection of large cents all
    bizarrely worked over. >>

Yes, the coin appears to be genuine, but hair lines re-tooled. And also I believe the coin was polished at one point,
    then artificially darkened, and then lightened again on the high points. >>

Other than that I'd say the coin looks fine. --Jerry
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

bifurcated letters image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file