Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show me your Toned GSA's Please

I'll start it with one from my collection.

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    That is not an NGC holder and there are chunks out of the reverse at 10:00 and 1:30! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Shrub68Shrub68 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    That sir is a GSA holder graded by NGC. The missing chunks you refer to are not missing at all. That is part of the black background of the GSA holder that helped hold the coin in place. A very pretty GSA dollar!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS holder, but GSA on label:

GSA holder:

recently sold this 1881:

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Todd, nice coins. Yours, or someone elses you have photographed/
    By the way, Todd took photos of my GSA's as if you didn't know.
  • Options
    Here is a GSA that I found in a small shop in Falmouth Ma. about six years ago.
    I had it graded,really don not know why, but I did. If I buy them raw, I leave them that way.

• Options

<< <i>Todd, nice coins. Yours, or someone elses you have photographed/
    By the way, Todd took photos of my GSA's as if you didn't know. >>

Those are mine, the textile one is my Dads.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    sweeeeeeeet coins !!!!!!!!
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice GSA`s toneddollars & vette... image

ABimage
  • Options
    Stat tuned, many more to come from my personal collection.
    I just whould love to see what others have hidden away image
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I have a really cool one but no way to get a good pic on my cheapo scanner :-(
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thank God I have a few of these to share, they must be the only ones on these boards.
    Picked this one up many years ago, maybe as far back as to when NGc first started grading them.
    I am sure I found this at a FUN show, as usual it may have been the only one I bought that show.

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    STman, from Bryans collection??????
  • Options

<< <i>STman, from Bryans collection?????? >>

Yes, I scanned it around 5 years ago.
  • Options
    This one is really done...... "end of the rainbow" Got this one from Gsaguy as well.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse is gorgeous on the CC.What ever happened to the rest?
  • Options
    Stman, I am sure I remember these coins from a show I did with Bryan many many rears ago.
    they were the closest to black i had seen. the one I posted is my darkest end of rainbow I own.

I'll post a few of mine I got from Bryan in awhile, just like to see some others.
  • Options
    It's been my experience after attending coin shows for over 25 yrs. that GSA CC dollars (still in the GSA holder) with anything even close to "A" colors or patterns are really, really scarce. The vast majority I've seen out of many thousands either have dull non vibrant colors, small crescents, splotchy uneven toning or spotting, crusty looking, etc. To find one like the 84-CC MS65 that blu62vette posted or better is a real find IMO. They are few and far between, and the huge majority of really nice ones have already been cracked out IMO.
  • Options

<< <i>It's been my experience after attending coin shows for over 25 yrs. that GSA CC dollars (still in the GSA holder) with anything even close to "A" colors or patterns are really, really scarce. The vast majority I've seen out of many thousands either have dull non vibrant colors, small crescents, splotchy uneven toning or spotting, crusty looking, etc. To find one like the 84-CC MS65 that blu62vette posted or better is a real find IMO. They are few and far between, and the huge majority of really nice ones have already been cracked out IMO. >>

Can you imagine if mine was still in the GSA holder? That would be a rare bird.
  • Options
    <<< Can you imagine if mine was still in the GSA holder? That would be a rare bird. >>>

GSA holder or not, it's still a real beauty, very nice!
  • Options

<< <i>It's been my experience after attending coin shows for over 25 yrs. that GSA CC dollars (still in the GSA holder) with anything even close to "A" colors or patterns are really, really scarce. The vast majority I've seen out of many thousands either have dull non vibrant colors, small crescents, splotchy uneven toning or spotting, crusty looking, etc. To find one like the 84-CC MS65 that blu62vette posted or better is a real find IMO. They are few and far between, and the huge majority of really nice ones have already been cracked out IMO. >>

Dragon, I will post some that you may like as much. I have been putting them away for some time now about as long as you have been looking, 20 or so years.
  • Options
    This coin is one of four GSA's I have that have very similar toning.
    The luster on these four coins is truley there but does not come across
    in these pictures. i know most GSA's have flat looking toning,but not these.
    I have an 85, 81 , 83 and a 84 all with the same colors
    and pop. I'll start with this one and post the others as the day goes on.

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another beauty TD! image

ABimage
  • Options
    Thanks AB, I just finally had them photographed so sharing is the natural thing to do.
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭
    Here is a nice 1880-cc rev 78, not graded.

imageimage
  • Options
    dizzlec, very nice! Here is my 84-cc ungraded but very much like the 85-cc.

• Options
    Here is my 83-cc and my 81-cc that are like the previous two.

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARS yours are very nice and definitely a step above what is normally seen as far as toned GSA dollars go. Your 85-CC is especially pleasing IMO, and a high grade to boot!
  • Options
    dragon, I have some raw ones I will be posting that should blow your skirt up image
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a common date toner. It's ungraded and will probably stay that way.

BTW: Thanks for all of the cool pictures so far. That 85CC is purty.

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    coinsrfun, thanks for joining the party!

Mitchell raw is good
  • Options

<< <i>That sir is a GSA holder graded by NGC. The missing chunks you refer to are not missing at all. That is part of the black background of the GSA holder that helped hold the coin in place. A very pretty GSA dollar! >>

Right on all defenses, the coin is acquitted of having chunks! image

Shrub68, what is that material, do you know? I'm just wondering if it's something inert.
  • Options
    Picked this one up at FUN quite a few years back. the seller
    was TBT, now who remembers him. You have been around for
    awhile if you know who that is image

• Options

<< <i>

Can you imagine if mine was still in the GSA holder? That would be a rare bird. >>

I don't look at it as a GSA unless it's in the holder.
  • Options
    Kurt, neither do I to tell the truth.
  • Options

<< <i>Kurt, neither do I to tell the truth. >>

These are beautiful coins, Jack, in their own right. There's something about seeing them all snugged-up in that GSA holder, though. image
  • Options

Does that mean I am not to cross all your GSA's to PCGS at the LB show?

• Options
    Kurt and Toneddollars: agreed, GSA dollars have to be in their original GSA holders. For me, the originality of the whole package counts for a lot.

There's no reason why GSAs should never be broken out anymore.
    Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kurt and Toneddollars: agreed, GSA dollars have to be in their original GSA holders. For me, the originality of the whole package counts for a lot.
    There's no reason why GSAs should never be broken out anymore. >>

From the Bryan Sonnier collection. I promise not to open these!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>

Does that mean I am not to cross all your GSA's to PCGS at the LB show?

image >>

I can't speak for Jack, but, FWIW, I wouldn't let you do that, were they mine. I think the coins lose some appeal when their pedigree comes across in just a third-party label to that effect.

EDIT: Oreville...WOW!
  • Options
    well Todd, that settles it. Leaver them in the original holders then.

Also , thank you for all your hard work. I have had fun posting some
    of my GSA's today/
  • Options

<< <i>Picked this one up at FUN quite a few years back. the seller was TBT, now who remembers him[ /Q]

Ahh, I miss the good ol' days with TBT!!!!
  • Options
    Toneddollars:

That's a good decision. I didn't think you were seriously considering cracking open GSAs. High grade GSAs or coins with superior eye appeal can be worth a substantial premium if they are left in their GSA holders. The aura of the original GSA packaging counts for a lot today.

Oroville: what a crazy stash! Lucky you.

• Options
    I would never advocate the freeing up of these coins from
    their original holders.
  • Options
    Ahh, might have mis-read your note to Todd.

Although I like color, these are the kind of GSAs that I really like:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=799578&highlight_key=y&keyword1=mirror

Go down about two thirds of the way.

• Options
    Well then, you will like the thread I will start next weekend about DMPL and Pl GSA's
    Is that your 66 DMPL 84-cc very nice. We will have some fun next weekend with
    show and tell then.
  • Options
    Connection, nice looking coin. Looks to be a high grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file