Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US ARMY Commem coin on sale tomorrow

These go on sale at the mint tomorrow. I was wondering what your thoughts were on all 3 coin designs. So who is buying? Who will pass?

I really like the reverse of the half dollar coin.
Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

Comments

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    I'm passing.
  • Options
    The reverses of the dollar and half eaqle look best, but not spectacular. Don't get me started on the state of numismatic design in the commemorative series right now. Most look like they are high school art projects at best (when compared to the classic commemoratives or reverses of the platinum eagles, for example).

The reverse of the half dollar is very good, a bit more dynamic than the bicentennial quarter.

I'll probably end up buying the dollar and half eagle (graded) in the aftermarket when bullion dips a bit.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be buying to keep my modern commemorative set complete. I enjoy the gold coins especially, take the dollars in stride because they often have mediocre designs, and wish that some of the half dollars had been made of silver because they would have looked better.

The designs for these Army coins are better than some of the others, although all I see are line drawings. The worst of all time had to be Capital Visitor Center half dollar. That design was truly ugly, and it took two artists to design the reverse which is the pits. I think that they failed give Curly credit. Moe and Larry could not have designed that reverse on their own.

For those who might of forgotten ...

imageimage

And here is one of the best half dollars IMO ...

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I am buying 1 of each design.I like them alot.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Where are the girls? We need girls on our Army coins. We had them on our BOY scout coin so what happened at the Mint. Not PC enough for me. Also, I don't see any cross dresser. Oh wait, maybe they do have a woman cross dresser there.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too will pass. My Army was tanks, howitzers, mortars and helicopters. I didn't
    see those on any coin.
    Would they leave a ship off a Navy design or a plane off a Air Force? Don't think so.
    The Army is not only the grunt. Like the Navy is not only the sailor, or the Air Force
    only the pilot.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $450 for the $5 proof coin ????

Thats $1800 an ounce !!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>I too will pass. My Army was tanks, howitzers, mortars and helicopters. I didn't
    see those on any coin.
    Would they leave a ship off a Navy design or a plane off a Air Force? Don't think so.
    The Army is not only the grunt. Like the Navy is not only the sailor, or the Air Force
    only the pilot.

bob >>

Ya, they should have a tank with Patton standing on it!! image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're all pretty sad in my opinion. I'll pass.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I'll buy graded in the secondary market
    figglehorn
  • Options

<< <i>$450 for the $5 proof coin ????

Thats $1800 an ounce !!!!!!!!!! image >>

The $450 includes the $35 surcharge we collectors always get socked with every time they issue a gold coin. image Won't it be nice to some pull with Congress a get a freebe like that? image If you take out the $35 you are down to $1,660 (+ a little) per ounce. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in the USArmy and I don't like the designs, so I will be passing (which should make them soar in value, like a Zoomie image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you could get one of the snake eaters to even keep one of them if you gave it to him.

• Options
    The sun on that 1986 50c looks like an elephants stink star
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they are going to be "recalled" because of those bad bad guns on them. I remember someone telling me the Massachusetts quarter was going to be recalled because of the gun on the back.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I still wish they would issue a three piece set. Kind sad that they can't do that because it would not cost the mint very much issue the set in that format.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Pass
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where are the girls? We need girls on our Army coins. We had them on our BOY scout coin so what happened at the Mint. Not PC enough for me. Also, I don't see any cross dresser. Oh wait, maybe they do have a woman cross dresser there. >>

"The busts of a male and female soldier are shown with a globe in the background." on the silver.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I am not going to rush out and buy this one. Instead, I will monitor how these sell the first few weeks out before I do anything.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    My stepson is in the army right now, so I don't think his mom (my wife)
    would let me get away without buying something, probably the dollar
    (and probably one for him and one for her).

How I feel about the design is irrelevant. I will say that I was more
    impressed with the design of the Marines commem a few years ago.
    (My other stepson was in the Marines at the time that one was
    released, and I bought five of them.)

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I'll buy the Half and Dollar in Proof and Mint State.
    Just to keep the collection current.

The gold coin has to be monumental looking for
    me to buy it; this one isn't.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are severely overpriced, especially the clad half dollars.

Even though I am an Army veteran these coins do nothing for me. I'll pass.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like all three of them were minted in Philadelphia.

Anyone know any different?
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're not all from Philly, article in CW explains it. I think 1 is a D.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I like the reverse on the half dollar. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    I liked them all a lot. I bought one of each, and think that the mint is trying hard to keep the general population happy. I do agree they should strive for more details like the early commem's did, but, I am still happy with most of their products!
  • Options
    18 years, 2 months and 16 days in the Army and darn proud of it. Passing though...don't care for commemorative designsimage
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭
    I am on the fence but probably will be buying.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    After the Marine Corp dollar sold so well and had a brief run in the secondary market, I’m surprised at the reactions I am seeing here. Perhaps it has something to do with the "gung ho" attitude of members of the Marine Corp as opposed to the Army.

At any rate I ordered one each in Proof of the half dollar, dollar and $5 gold at noon yesterday. There were some delays on the mint site, but nothing drastic like it has been with the limited edition “flipper” market material. I don’t think there will be much flipping with these issues unless very few people order them and that becomes general knowledge.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, one of the D.Carr Peace Dollar threads shows a very nice custom multi-coin holder that someone can do - maybe you can check it out for your own purposes.

And wow. That Capitol Center Dollar really isn't even game token calibre.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭
    Like several recent commemortatives, these coins in my opinion are a stab at political correctness, cartoonsih, and attempt to incorporate too many elements.

They also do not approach the degree of respect our soldiers--past and present--deserve.

Teddy Roosevelt would have fired Moy and insisted these designs be significantly reworked before their release!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file