Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It was a GRRRRREAT day at the coin show. I upgraded and doubled my doilies!!

toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was off work today and got to attend the annual Mesa Coin Club show in Mesa AZ. It was a GREAT day. I upgraded 2 half dollars in my 20th Century Type set, Circulation strikes, no gold. The next step for these 2 types is going to be a bit costlier, but I am happy with these two. One more upgrade and I think I will improve to # 6.

Then if that wasn't cool enough, I DOUBLED my doily count from 2 to 4!! I had walked around the floor a couple of times and checked the cases and realized I had missed these 2 the first times through. They were in 2 different dealers cases. It pays to check and recheck. An added bonus for me is that my other 2 doilies are Morgan Dollars, an 1879-S and an 1884-O. I was glad to get 2 other different denominations.

I'm going back tomorrow to make sure I didn't miss anything else.
George

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great day! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's Jeff, the Doily King? image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Got any bigger pics of that barber.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where's Jeff, the Doily King? image >>

Don't you mean 'Doily Slut'??? image
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great barber half.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drunner is going to be quite upset...
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. You don't see Franklin doilies that often... Did you pay a premium for the slabs?
  • Options

<< <i>Cool. You don't see Franklin doilies that often... Did you pay a premium for the slabs? >>

No premium for the slabs. It has been a couple of years since I had seen one other than here and on ebay. I was quite excited to get them for just the price of the coins.
    George
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More barber pics please!image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Where's Jeff, the Doily King? image >>

Don't you mean 'Doily Slut'??? image >>

Ouch! Yeah ... but I was trying to be nice to a fellow runner! image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>Nice! Got any bigger pics of that barber. >>

I'm not the best on the close up stuff. Seem to be off a bit on color. The scuffs on the reverse are on the plastic, not the coin

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    That's not a bad date Barber Half in BU for type, by the way.
    Nice coin. Creamy looking.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great day indeed!!

Looks like a nice Barber Half ... which, if you play your cards just right, can probably be paid for when you hold Drunner hostage!! image

Nice pickups! image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coins! I was at that show from about 9:00 to 11:00, and picked up a couple coins myself.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    t4e - I spent the day there also. Nice relaxed atmosphere, and I had a blast trading stories with Tony Tumonis of Glass Shoppe Coins. Picked up a nice Centennial medal and a wildly toned darkside silver coin - a rainbow rim 1959 Mexico 5 Pesos. I'ts a good thing you found that doily before I got a look. I was pleasantly surprised at the diverse selection of inventories. Back for more Sunday. My only beef: no concessions at the Mesa Convention Center, with the exception of a few vending machines in the foyer.
    Best find of the day - a pristine Wayte Raymond National Album for Mint sets, with two additional pages for small cents. Looks like it just came out of the box. I almost fudged the deal when I asked the dealer to repeat his price quote. I love gifts!

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice! Got any bigger pics of that barber. >>

I'm not the best on the close up stuff. Seem to be off a bit on color. The scuffs on the reverse are on the plastic, not the coin

image >>

Thanks for the pic.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK boys, been at the SLC show and then out to dinner. Came back and found this.

Nothing like ruining an otherwise perfectly fine show by posting a PAIR of new Doilies that I never even got a shot at. Sure, then keep thumping this thread to the top to make sure I get green with envy. I appreciate the super pix of Doilies secured from my clutches. Astrorat . . . NotSure has the proper terminology, although I present a posturing of proper decorum, when it comes to the Doilies I revert to a rabid dog . . . a crack addict on a two-day bender . . . or one of those relentless face-hugging Alien thingies. He was right . .

OK George . . my congratulations. They look super.

Joe . . . upset? Perhaps homicidal would be more accurate. He got them for just the price of the COINS ??????? Are you kidding me? Did he buy them from someone who popped out of a timewarp?? Jealous = me.

I am going to retire and lick my wounds. Lane, I will be doing a snowy trail run tomorrow at 7:00am thinking of nothing but the phrase, "Let it go . . .let it go . . let it go . . "

Nice Doilies!

Drunner
    Resident Doily Slut

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The show looked good today. Lot's of people and I had to park really far away.
    Lot's of good stuff there image
    Ed
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a really great day...Nice pickups... image

ABimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file